Mass murder in the sky: John Gilbert Graham and United Flight 629

Blog Topics

Comments

You may want to correct this article. The aircraft that was blown up was a DC-6B, a four engine, propeller-driven aircraft. Not a DC-9 as the article states. The DC-9, a twin-engine, jet-propelled aircraft, didn't fly until 1965.

I was a college student in the area at the time. Some of my friends went to see the wreckage the night it happened and regretted having gone to the scene. The story took up the front pages of the Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News for months. I will never forget the headline in the Rocky Mountain News the day after Graham was executed. It took up the entire front page with three-inch letters saying:
"DEATH TO
JOHN GILBERT
GRAHAM !"

My dad Lee Hall was the pilot it wasn’t his night to fly a Pilot’s friend daughter was sick so my dad took his flight my mom went to the trial and sat only feet away from John I was only four years later my brother was killed by a drunk driver and dragged down
the freeway my mom was the strongest person I’ve ever known she would say to me Susie with JESUS you can do anything

Brian,enjoyed this article, great work!BTW,are you related to Dick Trembath,an Omaha reporter who covered the Starkweather crime spree a few years after Graham's cowardly bombing of the UAL flight?

My mom ( died in 2020) talked about this tragedy. She was born and raised in Toponas ( near Yampa ( near Steamboat)) Colorado and went to school with Graham. Their school was very small with a graduating class of 14 or so. He was known in the community because everyone knew everyone in this small ranching community, but he was a bit of an outsider because he lived there with his grandmother after being abandoned by his mother. Mom always spoke of it with sadness.

i remember hearing about the crash I was a young kid at the time. It was such a terrible thing and was amazed reading your account of the investigation, and finding out who did the bombing. That was really fantastic at that time to find out who did it. It is a very sad story.

Add new comment

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.