Marriage and divorce records are some of the earliest legal documents created in Colorado. Created at the county level, there are several indexes (Research Tools below) for researches to easily locate and use these locational and linkage records.
Other Locations for City and County of Denver Marriage Records (not listed below)
- Marriage Certificates/Licenses - April 21, 1903 thru Current
- Marriage Applications- January 2, 2004 thru Current
- Access/Copies: Clerk's Office provides access to these records and also will make certified copies.
- Marriage records for most counties in the state of Colorado
- Certificates 1861-1952
- License Application Stub Books 1874-1902
- Certificates in Filings of Clerk and Recorder 1860-1899
- Marriages of Arapahoe County, Colorado, 1859-1901 (Index), Colorado Genealogical Society
- Denver Marriage Certificates 1861-1868 – scanned and available online
The Denver Clerk and Recorder’s Office Denver County marriage license applications from 1903-2003 are housed at the Denver Public Library. All of these records are restricted for privacy by Colorado state law (C.R.S. 24-72) and require a photo ID and proof of relationship to those named in the record for access.
Please fill out the Request Form for Records of the Clerk and Recorder of the City and County of Denver.
An index to Colorado divorces listing the names of the plaintiff and defendant, the county, date and court where the divorce was granted, and the docket number.
An index to over 456,000 marriages cross listing the names of both bride and groom, the date and place of marriage, and the license number.
An index to Denver marriages cross listing the names of both bride and groom, the license number, and the licence numbers and dates covered in the volume.
An index to Douglas County marriages listing the names of the bride and groom, the license number, the date of application and the date of marriage.