Begun in 2009 by Dr. Thomas J. Noel, the Colorado Book Review at Denver Public Library publishes critical reviews of non-fiction books on Colorado topics. Tom Noel, retired professor of American History at the University of Colorado - Denver, continues to serve as Chief Editor for the project, along with Craig Haggit, Denver Public Library Special Collection Librarian.
Colorado Book Review
The Colorado Book Review provides hundreds of reviews offering insights on books about Colorado from experts in their field, often providing the only critical reviews available. This digital resource is constantly growing with the regular addition of new reviews. Please send eligible (current non fiction on any Colorado topic) books to Tom Noel.
New Publications List
Updated regularly several times per year, this list of primarily non-fiction books on Colorado lets you know what people are writing about the Centennial State. Please send eligible (current non fiction on any Colorado topic) books to Tom Noel.
Covering topics pivotal to Colorado history, these in-depth research guides provide an introduction and research gateway into deeper scholarly research. They are provided here as digital resources, available for downloading or reading online.
- Colorado Native American Studies Resource Guide / by Pam Milavec (2010, 40 pages). Available in digital format (PDF) and in print.
- Colorado Mining History Resource Guide / by Dana EchoHawk (2013, 96 pages). Available in digital format (PDF) and in print.
- Hispanic Colorado Resource Guide / by Dana EchoHawk (2011, 58 pages). Available in digital format (PDF) and in print.
The Center aims to contribute to Colorado studies with print publications such as:
- Noel, Thomas J. and Gail M. Beaton. The Woman's Bank: a Denver Success Story. Denver, Colorado : Colorado Studies Center, University of Colorado-Denver, 2020. 67 pages, with black-and-white and color illustrations. Includes index.
- Noel, Thomas J., with Shelby Carr. Charles Davis Vail: the Highway Engineer Who Transformed Colorado Roads. Denver, Colorado : Colorado Studies Center, University of Colorado-Denver, 2019. 94 pages, black-and-white and color illustrations. Includes index.
- Leavitt, Craig W. and Thomas J. Noel. Herndon Davis: Painting Colorado History, 1901-1962. Boulder: University Press of Colorado & Center for Colorado & The West, 2016. xvi + 280p. index, endnotes, bibliography, 200 black & white & color images, 9 x 12” $34.95.
- Thomas J. Noel, Jane C. Harper & Craig W. Leavitt. Colorado Newspapers: A History & Inventory, 1859-2000. Denver: Colorado Press Association Foundation & Center for Colorado & The West, 2014. xv + 432 p. bibliography, appendices, photos, drawings. paperback $49.95.
- Noel, Thomas J., Craig W. Leavitt with Diane B. Wunnicke. A History of the Hilltop Heritage Conservation Overlay District in Denver Colorado. Denver: Center for Colorado & The West, 2013. 92 p. index. endnotes. color & b & w photos. maps. paperback. $5.00.
- Sternberg, Barbara Edwards; Boone, Jennifer and Evelyn Waldron. Anne Evans—A Pioneer in Colorado’s Cultural History: The Things That Last When Gold Is Gone. Foreword by Thomas J. Noel. Denver, CO: Center for Colorado & the West & Buffalo Park Press, 2011. 566 p. photos, bibliography, index. $29.95. Paperback. 6”x 9”
Prof. Tom Noel (retired), History Department, University of Colorado Denver, and director of CU-Denver’s Public History and Preservation Program
Colorado New Publications List
This is a list of recent non-fiction titles about all aspects of Colorado, compiled by the Colorado Book Review at Denver Public Library and updated several times per year. If you know of a title that should be here but is not, please contact Tom Noel (Tom.Noel@ucdenver.edu).