This 1890 Romanesque Revival style building, located at the corner of 16th and Welton streets, served for many years as a center of activities for the Masonic Order in Colorado. As one of downtown Denver's few surviving examples of the use of rockfaced Manitou sandstone as a building material, its warm red-orange walls provide an interesting contrast with the cool grey stone of the adjacent Kittredge Building. Denver architect Frank E. Edbrooke's design for the five-story Masonic Temple Building incorporated numerous semicircular arches and intricately carved detailing. After a 1984 fire nearly destroyed the building, its walls were reinforced with a steel frame.
1614 Welton St