This gallery depicts the George Washington Carver Day Nursery, Denver’s first racially integrated daycare center. Images include the school’s two locations, students and teachers, and many community members who helped the school to thrive for over 100 years.
The challenge of arranging care for young children is not a new concern for parents who work outside of the home. In 1916, following the deaths of two white children left unattended at home, the Negro Woman’s Club Association of Denver decided to establish a nursery. Located in the organization's clubhouse at 2357 Clarkson, the venture also provided housing for working women and their children. Both programs were largely financed through the Club Association's dues and fundraisers.
The school grew to care for children from 2.5 to 12 years old, educating tens of thousands of Denver's children over the years, and it was an integral part of the Five Points neighborhood. In 1966, the school moved to 2270 Humboldt, where it remains in operation today.
For more information on the school and its founders, see the George Washington Carver Day Nursery Records collection, and the blog post The George Washington Carver Day Nursery, Denver's First Racially Integrated Daycare. We appreciate any identifications of individuals in these photos. Please feel welcome to submit comments or feedback through this online form.