2503 Washington St, Denver 80205
An early local example of the Georgian Revival style, the 1892 building had an irregular floor plan and a steeply pitched complex roof. Fluted Corinthian columns supported the flat roof of a large corner porch. Originally built for Thomas M. Field, who was involved with the establishment of the general merchandising and railway contracting firm of Field and Hill, the Joel W. Shackleford family occupied the house from 1895 to 1902. They sold it to the state for use as the second State Home for Dependent Children. Renamed Campbell Hall, the house and other buildings constructed nearby remained in use by the state until 1971. In 1978, the home was purchased by the City of Denver as part of a park development effort. On March 08, 1987, a fire destroyed the house which local residents had hoped to utilize as a community center.