OAKES, Daniel C., (Notes about this distinguished pioneer culled from all the histories, from files, Land Records, cemetery inscriptions.) He was always called “Major Oakes,” but have not yet found record of his military service. He and family are buried at Riverside Cemetery, Denver, having a large, well designed white marble monument. The dates of his birth and death I take from this, as have several other conflicting records. The south face of this has: Daniel C. Oakes, pioneer of California, 1849, of Colorado 1858, born 1825, died 1887.
Born Carthage, Maine, Apr 23, in year noted above, but his parents moved to Gallion, Richland County, Ohio 1831, his Mother dying in 1832. In 1835 they moved to La Grange, Indiana, then to Black Purchase, Clinton County, Iowa. Here he was placed in public school but in 1847 his Father died. In 1853 his name appears in old Grand Lodge Proceedings of Iowa Masonry, as Tyler of Dewitt Lodge, Clinton County, Iowa. This is probably a record of a near relative, if not our Daniel C. Oakes himself. If he returned to Clinton County, Iowa after his trip to California with the gold rush of 1849, he would have time to do this, and still make Colorado by 1858. He is said to have journeyed to California with Abram Walrod, and mined in placer mines on Middle Fork of Feather River, with A. R. Colton, later a very prominent man.
His travelling companions to Colorado in 1858 where he arrived in October, were Mr. Abram Walrod, H. G. Graham, George Pancoast, and Charles Miles. They were very early in the field. Green Russell and a party of about 13 Georgians had just arrived in July before and were already getting much gold. Russell had arrived by the Cherokee Trail from the Arkansas River to Cherry Creek, and the Oakes party came across by the Platte Route, breaking a trail, which was afterward followed very much. He came it is said directly from Glenwood, Iowa, but left the same year for his home, returning in spring of 1859, with a sawmill he had bought, which he set up in the pineries of Douglas County, on Plum Creek, some 30 miles south of mouth of Cherry Creek, a place later known as “The Old Coberly Place.” Here he operated for five years, furnishing lumber for the building of Denver. In May 1865 he sold this mill and was appointed by Pres. Johnson, Indian Agent, until 1869, then Dep. U. S. Land Surveyor. He was early a purchaser of Auraria lots, also Denver property but his transactions were too numerous to mention specially. One purchase was dated Dec 2, 1859, from R. L. Wooten, 34-1/2 feet off of north side of lot 11, block 8, Auraria City, another in 1860 from A. B. Steinberger, lot 7, block 46, Auraria. His 16 lots from Auraria Town Company are noted specially by number in Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber E, p. 260, old. He lived at one time in early days on Cheyenne Avenue, Auraria (now 9th Street) between what is now Curtis and Lawrence. There is a deed dated Jun 2, 1866 to Elizabeth Maddox, signed by Daniel C. Oakes and wife Olive M., both of Denver, for consideration of $68 granting lot 3, block 65 in West Denver. This location would correspond with the description of his residence on Ninth Street, and may be part of the grounds.
He was President of the earliest mentioned organization of Pioneers of 1858 and 1859, later pilgrims being at that time excluded, Jun 22, 1866. On Jul 10 of this year he called a meeting to attend the funeral of B. A. Barney (RMN, p. 4, Jul 10). Major Oakes lived in 1873 (Directory) on Curtis Street, southeast corner C. (now Curtis and 12th Streets). In 1888 Mrs. Oakes was living there, No. 1212 Curtis Street (same place).
The monument at Riverside shows names of five little daughters, Olive Carrie, died Apr 27, 1866, Cora Lillis (interred Jan 26, 1880), Cleora Alice, Eliza J., and Lillian D., two of these removed from North Denver graveyard. There was a daughter, Laura, who is mentioned as being present at Pioneers’ banquet 1880, and it was stated that she had been born in Denver in 1859. Mrs. Olive M. Oakes was also an arrival of this year, so the family produced at least three Fiftyniners, quite a record.
OAKES, Olive M., wife of D. C. Oakes, arrived it is said in 1859 (Monument at Riverside). Born 1834, died 1919. She was evidently an hospitable lady in those far away early days for the following wedding announcement in the RMN shows such to be the case. “Married, at residence of D. C. Oakes, in Auraria, Jan 26, 1860, Edward Jumps to Miss Pamelia Cannon, all of Denver.”
O’CONNELL, Andrew, grantor or grantee, of Denver lots, Dec 12, 1859.
O’CONNELL, John, transfers to --- Middaugh 20 Denver lots for $1, date Nov 24, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber F, p. 231)
O’CONNELL, John D., (probably same?) from Auraria Town Company consideration $1 16 lots in Auraria City, in blocks numbered 8-28-50-95-124-166-139-233-211-218-330, Nov 24, 1859, recorded 1860. In Dec 3 following, he with V. S. Shelby buys five more lots of the Town Company. J. D. O’Connell is mining this year in Nevada Gulch.
O’CONNER, M. H., 1859, living in 1899 at 1913 Stout Street, Denver.
ODELL, J. N., was prominent as a lawyer in Golden, afterward Judge in Arapahoe County. He was a shareholder in the Golden City association Oct 1859, and in December was council for the defense in a trial. He lived at Nevada Gulch once, probably mining. In Dec 1860 he was appointed (with T. A. Douglas) to draft constitution of the Golden City Lyceum. He was the one with whom Judge Carpenter studied law when a young man in Golden.
ODLIN, John, grantee, from Whitsitt, Dec 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
O’DONNELL, J. D., stockholder, Auraria Town Company 1858.
O’FALLON, Mr., arrived from Illinois. (Mentioned in RMN, 1859)
OHLWILER, Jacob, (also spelled Ohlmiller), member Society Colorado Pioneers, residence Ouray in 1907, also 1920. Listed as arrived Jun 1, 1859.
OHMERT (or OLMERT ?), Jesse, located Nov 22, 1859, farm claim on west side Platte River, on Golden Road, near Smith & Chubbuck bridge. Later, Jesse Ohmert of Denver is grantor of two thirds of the tract (or some other one?) of 160 acres of land, four miles northwest of Denver and adjoining the Reitze claim. (Dec 2, same year) (Arapahoe County Land Records)
O’KANE, Henry, gives notice of location of claim for farming and ranching. “commencing at a stake,” etc. “near a cabin on EnCrk” 160 acres, located and taken Oct 3, 1859. Recorded in Golden Jan 21, 1860. This claim is described as being in Jefferson County. This pioneer is also grantee, from W. P. Degoe, (all parties being of Arapahoe County) on same date, land recorded in Jefferson County.
O’KANE, James, files claim for ranche land, cornering on that of Henry O’Kane, in Jefferson County, Jefferson Territory, 160 acres, taken and located Oct 3, 1859. (Jefferson County Land Records, Golden)
“OLD LODGE POLE TRAIL,” mentioned in Western Mountaineer, Dec 14, 1859.
“OLD LONDON HOSPITAL,” was the first drug store, and stood on Ferry Street, Auraria, next the Jefferson House. It was kept by Drs. Wilcox and McLachlan in 1859, and was sold by D. McLathlan Feb 13, 1860 to A. M. Allen (lot numbers not stated.) (Liber D, p. 263)
“OLD SETTLER’S MEETINGS,” these were established as early as two or three years after 1858-9, and confined to persons arriving in those years. In Mar 8, 1882, in parlor of the Teller House, Central, a meeting occurred, and it was stated that Blackhawk had 59 members, Central 45, Nevadaville 29, and Russell 19. So it may be seen that only a 150 or so were left at this date in the best mining district of the state.
OLDHAM, ---, was member of a Town Company in 1859 and with two other men formed mining partnership in Pleasant Valley, and it later grew to seven men. (Oldham, Newman & Company)
OLEAR, Charles Frank (?), grantee from Auraria Town Company Aug 27, 1859, lot 11, block 38, Auraria. (Arapahoe County Land Record)
O’NEILL, John, or Jack, was shot and killed by John Rooker in Mar 1859, according to Hall, and according to Larimer in his Reminiscences in Dec 1859. (Over a game of cards.) His estate was advertized for administration Apr 11, 1860, with John Kinna, Administrator. O’Neill was “of Arapahoe County,” and on Jun 7 his property on Larimer Street, Denver, also his property in Auraria, appeared in advertizement to be sold at Court House, published in The Daily Herald. The Auraria property with improvements said to be worth about $700.
OREM, John C., (listed also as F. C. and J. C., may be two?), called “Con Orem” by Larimer, was a sporting man of 1858. He had four Donation Lots from Denver Town Company, Dec 4, this year. He was grantor of lots in 1859, and on Jun 2, this year, John C. Orem of Denver and county of Montana conveys lots to Luther A. Cole, who is of Watertown, County of Jefferson, Wisconsin. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, p. 114)
ORISON, David F., on Aug 22, 1859, is grantor to John Hickrey lots 5-6-, block 67, Denver, for consideration of $200 (must have had cabin). Orison is “of Denver City.”
ORLBERT, an old trapper of 1851, whose deserted cabin the arrivals of 1859 found near Hamilton town site in South Park District. He, with some other trappers, had erected it, and it was still standing. (Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 176)
ORR, James, was an arrival with one of Capt. Green Russell’s parties from Georgia.
ORTSON, Samuel, was a witness, Auraria City, Dec 7, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
OTIS, Harrison G., laid out Central City, in Kendall Gulch 1859. Harrison Grey Otis was of Arapahoe County in Jan 1860, for on the 6th he was grantee of lot (or part of) 12, block 9, Auraria City. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
OUTRABIE, a political precint of 1859, which was represented by one delegate to the Constitutional Convention. (RMN)
OVERTON & COMPANY, mining in Russell’s Gulch, during summer 1859. (RMN)
OWENS, A. H., in 1859 was Secretary of Mountain City Town Company, also of the Consolidated Ditch Company. A. H. Owens was also stockholder in Shiann Pass Town Company in same year.
OWENS, D. B., partner with Henry Grinold, L. C. Crandall, and B. O. Russell and Royal Jacobs in petition for time extension, in working of mine development, in Gregory Diggings, as mine cannot be operated for lack of machinery. (Gregory Record, 1859, Central City)
OWENS, W. F., name among the 1859 residents of Golden City.
OXLEY, J. O., is mentioned by Bancroft as discoverer of a mine in Gilpin County 1859, and from another source his name is mentioned as miner in Clear Creek and Boulder mines.
Denver Public Library Online ©
Updated: June 25, 2013