NACHTRIEB, Charles, a German, has gone to Pueblo with small stock of goods. (1859) (Quoted from RMN)
NAGLE, J., arrived with the four Steinbergers, and W. Smith and H. Snell, by Platte Route, from Elkhorn, Nebraska. (RMN, spring, 1859) (This party is from Elkhorn.)
NASH, John, a settler in Riley’s Gulch, died there and is mentioned in RMN during early winter of 1859.
NEAL, J. O., (John O.), buys Denver lots in November, and again in December of 1859. (Land Records, see Index)
NEAL, Thomas, Dec 25, 1859 located and claimed ranche of 160 acres, situated where the road leading from Golden to the South Park and the road from Mt. Vernon to South Park come together. This is sold Feb 15, 1860, including cabin, to David A. Williams. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 19, Golden)
NELSON, J., also James Jr., Claims 23 and 29 in McLeod & Company pineries, Fork of Plum Creek (Divide) platted Oct 1859. (Recorded in Arapahoe County Land Records, see Index.)
NELSON, J. C., makes farm claim, Platte River, 160 acres, Nov 3, 1859 situated near claim of Smith and Chubbuck.
NELSON, John, is witness in Mountain City, Aug 10, 1859, to transaction between Jacob, Thomas & Elias Brown, recorded Sep 30. One of this name also has claim in McLeod & Company timber lands (Claim 24) on Fork of Plum Creek, located October same year. Also John Nelson Jr. owns Claim 29 in same company.
NELSON, John C., elected City Commissioner of Denver Dec 1859. He is of Arapahoe County and conveys Denver lots Dec 25, also before this date, on Oct 21, sells four lots.
NELSON & COMPANY, mining during summer of 1859 in Nevada Gulch, with six men. (RMN)
NERLAND, John, a native of Ireland, thought to be the name of a man found dead in South Park during this year. (RMN, p. 2, Sep 29)
NESBITT, J. H., grantor, Oct 8, 1859, lot 3, block 10, City of Auraria. The following death from files of the Western Mountaineer is worth recording, although it may be another party (?) – Died, in Bradford City, of mountain fever, Mr. John Nesbeit, formerly of St. Louis, Missouri. (Date Sep 6, 1860)
NEVADA CITY, this town site still survives, about a mile above Central City, Gilpin County. (Then, 1859, known as Mountain County.) It was densely populated with gold miners, and is said by Hall to have yielded in this year and several years afterward, $9,000 per week in gold dust. The Post Office was called “Bald Mountain” being on Quartz Hill. The surrounding district was called Nevada Diggings, Nevada Gulch, etc. In 1924 its voters had been reduced to two old miners, still holding their properties there with a faith that it would “come back.” It had a very substantial stone Masonic Hall, made with a brick front, always considered more elegant than stone in a mining city. This district was near Illinois and Missouri Flats, other rich diggings.
NEWELL, Caspar, of Denver City, has transaction in lots Jun 11, 1859.
NEWMAN, William, with Thomas McCauley (claims, Nov 24, 1859) 320 acres farm land where Ralston and Dry Creeks join. (Land Records)
NEWMAN & COMPANY, (see above) four men, mining at Russell’s summer 1859.
NEWPORT TUNNELLING COMPANY, (for members of this see under Walker & Company) during 1859 and later doing business at Gregory Diggings.
NEW YORK TUNNELL, mentioned as being in Nevada District, this year.
NICHOLS, Charles, a founder of several cities arrived in the 6th wagon of the Lawrence party 1858. It is said he named the City of St. Charles after his last residence, St. Charles, Missouri. He started the city by laying down four logs, and making claim to the townsite. This was on the east bank of Cherry Creek. He was disgusted with the rise of Auraria City on west bank of the stream, but when the founders of Denver City agreed to “jump” St. Charles and put down their town in its place he protested very vigorously. It did little good, as many of the owners of St. Charles City joined in with the promoters of its successor, and others had left for the States intending to return with reinforcements later, making him protector of their interests while they were absent. It is said he was threatened with a rope if he did not consent to let the ground go, and it appears later that he was a stockholder in the Denver City Town Company in 1859. Earlier than this time he had been a founder and stockholder in the Montana Town Company, whose forces distributed themselves between the other two enterprizes. He made one trip to Lawrence in 1858 or early the following spring. During 1859 he was a member of the first Constitutional Convention, being a delegate from Dickerson. When the Rebellion broke out he returned to his native place, Coshocton County, Ohio, where he entered the 183rd Regiment, Ohio Volunteers, as Captain, and died in hospital in Clifton, Tennessee Jan 1865, aged 42 years. (A very honorable record.) (Smiley’s History of Denver, p. 215)
NICHOLS, Capt. David H., a pioneer of 1859 coming to Boulder County. Was born in Hardwick, Caledonia County, Vermont, Mar 16, 1826, of Scotch also German ancestry, son of Ethan Nichols, pioneer of Whiteside County, Illinois 1836. Here he died when David was 10 years of age. So the young fellow ran away from home, to Minnesota and Wisconsin, following lumbering for livelihood until age of 17. Then turned back to Illinois and lived with Baptist minister in Warren County, uniting with the Baptist Church. Entered Shurtliff College, Alton, Illinois, to prepare for ministry, but gave it up for the Army (Mexican War). (Col. G. Wright’s Brigade, mustered in Ohio, left for Mexico 1847, served 13 months, became 2nd Lieut.) Then overland to California mining until 1853. Then by isthmus back to Illinois, entered mercantile business, firm of Nichols & Harriman.
In 1859 crossed plains to the Colorado goldfields, but did very little mining, being clever at blacksmithing, started in that work at Boulder for a year, then went to Golden where he kept the Simpson House (in 1880 still standing, one of the old landmarks of Golden), went back to Boulder, exchanged his interest in Tourtelotts & Squiers’ saw mill for 160 acre tract near Boulder City, where in 1880 he was living. He built a neat residence here. He had been in grocery business, livery, and other occupations while in Boulder. Married Oct 28, 1869, Miss Jennie Davis of Atchison, Kansas. (Extracts from History of Boulder County, Colorado published 1880)
NICHOLS, John, in 1859 owned the Tucker Mine, Clear Creek & Boulder County.
NICKEM (?), Jacob L., is grantor, Dec 1859 of Denver lots, probably a pioneer of this year.
NIVER, Robert, pioneer of Boulder County, arrived Colorado Jul 1859, was prospector, miner, farmer, dairyman, bought steam threshing machine, which he operated for many years. He settled in Coal Creek District where he took up land in 1860. He was superintendent of the Irrigating Ditch Company, also a stockholder. Lived also in Arkansas Valley. Was born Columbia County, New York, Apr 22, 1832, of Dutch ancestry. Removed 1844 to Dodge County, Wisconsin and married about 1854 a lady of that county, Miss Rosalia M. Speer. (History Boulder County, 1880)
NIX, Charles H., member Society Colorado Pioneers, arrived Mar 28, 1859. Resided Denver as late as 1920. Born Binghen-on-the-Rhine Jun 30, 1836.
NOBLE, C. H., of Mountain City, mentioned as pioneer of 1859, in clipping. This may be Charles Noble, who on Oct 17, 1859 was grantee from W. A. McFadding of lot 7, block 77, City of Auraria and is mentioned as being “of Auraria.” On the previous Sep 2 he bought lot 1, block 37, Auraria.
NOONEY, Michael, took up farm claim near California Road on Clear Creek, Sep 28, 1859. (Land Records)
NORLIN (Norton?), Edwin A., of Auraria, grantor Nov 26, 1859 lot 1, block 5, Auraria City. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
NORRIS, A., arrived May 28, 1859. Is from Missouri. (RMN, list arrivals)
NORTH, J. B., appears in transaction with land for addition to City of Golden Gate. This is probably Joab B. North, who earlier in year 1859 (Jul) was member of Tetlow & Company in that camp.
NORTON, Henry Clay, pioneer of Boulder, 1859, said to have bridged Platte River at Old Fort St. Vrain. (Clipping)
NORTON, W. H., elected quartermaster of Rocky Mountain Rangers, Mountain City, 1859.
NORWOOD, W., miner, Mountain City Diggings, mentioned as member of the Rocky Mountain Rangers, 1859.
NUCKOLLS, Charles H., born Mills County, Iowa, 1856, of family of 11 children, parents from Grayson County, Virginia, to west in 1854. This family came to Denver in ox drawn wagon in 1859. He first became cowboy, then foreman on a ranche, later carpenter, then miner near Central, also in Georgetown District. He kept for 20 years the James Peak Hotel in Granby, and belonged to the A.F. & A.M. of Georgetown. Died Denver, Jul 18, 1924, buried at Sulphur Springs. His widow survived, and the following children: Oscar (Enid, Oklahoma), Harry (Pueblo), Mrs. Lewis Wallace (Sulphur Springs), Mrs. Samuel Staley (Granby). (The Trail, Aug 1924, published Denver)
NUCKOLLS, Emmett, an arrival of 1859, born in Virginia, a stockgrower in Arkansas Valley.
NYE, John, on Dec 3, 1859 is grantee from the Auraria Town Company, some Auraria lots, consideration $1. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
NYE, John A., (may be same?) an arrival of 1858, member of firm of Kinna & Nye, miners’ outfitters, at mouth of Cherry Creek, a very prominent and reliable pioneer establishment. Nye was one of the founders of Masonry also, being member of Auraria Lodge in 1859, having previously been member of Nebraska Lodge No. 1, of Nebraska Territory.
NYE, Oscher, was a Territorial Representative elect from the 6th District 1859. (Mentioned in RMN)
NYSWANGER, Aaron, on Jan 6, 1859 was witness of a deed in Arapahoe County. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
Denver Public Library Online ©
Updated: July 28, 2008