MABEIN, John, was a witness to sale of cattle to John Miller in Arapahoe County Oct 6, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
MACK, W., is mentioned by Bancroft as the discoverer of the mine bearing his name in Gilpin County 1859. He seems also to have mined in Clear Creek and Boulder Counties in that year.
MACKAY, A. J., in list of pioneers given in Hall’s Colorado History born New York Nov 11, 1834, arrived Colorado Jul 1859. Was one of the first permanent settlers of Boulder. Was carpenter, lumber contractor while in Wisconsin before pilgrimage to Colorado begun in fall of 1858 with Hiram Buck and others, they having three ox teams loaded with provisions. He mined in Golden, Central, Blackhawk, Deadwood (later known as Rollinsville) in California Gulch, was later Post Master in Boulder, County Treasurer, Justice of the Peace, Clerk of District Court (8 years) and in 1873-4 Department Internal Revenue Collector for Boulder, Larimer and Weld Counties, and an officer of the Boulder Industrial Association said to have built the first brick block in Boulder. Married Miss Adelaide B. Dickerson. (History Boulder County)
MADISON, James, said by Bancroft to be the discoverer of the Kansas Mine in Gilpin County 1859. He lived too in Clear Creek County and Boulder County.
MAGGARD, Mrs. Lucy A., (also spelled Maggare) of Auraria, grantee, Aug 8, 1859, consideration $150 cash, of William McKimens, lot l, in block 35, City of Auraria. A later transaction, Sep 1, shows she sells the lot for $200 to John A. Steinberger. In the RMN dated Feb 1860, Mrs. Maggard is referred to as having a two story hotel on B. Street. In Jul 1860 she is “of West Denver” and gives a bond to Nelson Sargent, and George C. Bradford of Chicago, Illinois in which the security seems to be lot 3, block 3, Auraria City, with improvements, the consideration being $14,000. She signs with mark. (X)
MAGNUS, Peter, of Arapahoe County, farmer, born Eksjo, Sweden, Mar 12, 1824. 1852 emigrated United States, lived in New York, Ottawa, Illinois, arrived Denver by ox team Jan 18, 1859, located ranche at Petersburg (later so called from his name) then removed Littleton. Was County Commissioner Arapahoe County 1875. Bancroft in mention of him in Vol. 25, p. 385, says he was in flood of 1864 which took his stock and buildings while the grasshoppers in 1873-4-5 took his crops, but the advancement in price of land caused him to prosper at last. In 1889 Vickers mentions that he had three daughters, 1 son.
MAGOO, F., was with J. E. Leper when they killed a lion on Table Mountain, near Arapahoe City, Clear Creek, mentioned in RMN, May 1859.
MAGUIRE, Charles and Mary C., of Denver, appear in transaction with Denver lots, Oct 6, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
MAINE, William H., a founder of Denver, arrived 1858, carpenter with a shop on Arapahoe Street in Directory of 1859, the firm, Maine, Chandler & Willoughby, also cabinet makers. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. From papers at time of death he is said to have been a native of Michigan, born at Hurtland, 1838, then moved to Ohio with parents, and at age of 19 started West, coming to Kansas City, then across plains in wagon with ox team. He was acquainted with all the famous characters of the mountains, such as Jim Baker, Kit Carson, Tom Boggs and Tom Tobin, and built many of the earliest houses in Denver. Married Jul 29, 1861 Charlotte Julia Ronk, in a building on the present site of the Tritch Hardware Company, Arapahoe Street. She died about 1921.
His death occurred at his residence, 2467 South Bannock Street, Denver about Oct 24, 1924, and interment was in Fairmont Cemetery. He left four daughters: Mrs. Effie D. Harmon (Lyons, Kansas), Mrs. Orrie E. Allen (Denver), Mrs. Lottie V. Fox (Fort Collins), and Alice G. Maine of Walden. Three sons, R. D. Maine (Denver), S. D. Maine (Flint, Michigan), and Percy P. Maine of Salida, Colorado. He also left 21 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren. Was member of A.F. & A.M., South Denver. (Denver Post, Oct 4, 1924, portrait)
MAJORS, Alexander, came to plains and mountains in 1848, freighter and stock grower in 1859 and later, mentioned often in papers of the pioneer period. Was director of The Canon City Town Company, 1861. The RMN of Dec 29, 1860 announces that “Alexander Majors the great plains freighter arrived in Denver City on Saturday eve last, to remain a few days.”
MAKEPIECE, J. E., of Michigan, arrived 1859. (See under D. Boyd.) J. F. Makepiece is another of name, noted as being of arrivals from Indiana 1859.
MALLINGFORD, D. S., was in Denver or Auraria 1859 in insurance business. (Directory)
MALLORY & COMPANY, mining, seven men Pleasant Valley, 1859. (RMN)
MALONE, Ell, grantee of lot 9, block 18 Denver City, Nov 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Index)
MALONEY, William, owner of Claim 8, McLeod & Company, lands at Fork of Plum Creek, Oct 1859. (See.)
MANLOVE, Shannon & Company, mining partners, at Russell’s Gulch 1859, another mention is of Allen and Manlove, miners, same place, in a list of efforts in Gilpin County published by RMN during summer.
MANN, Carl D., arrived Jul 4, 1859, from New York (?) Born New York Jun 23, 1840. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, living Denver 1920.
MANS, George, one of the original stockholders of Auraria City 1858, and in 1859, Nov 11 for consideration of $1 had 16 Auraria lots conveyed to him (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber C, p. 140, old) Also in the same year and month he was grantee of lot 8, block 41. (Liber C, p. 140)
MANS, O. and C., arrived with D. A. Pritchard, all from New Lisbon, Ohio May 21, 1859. (RMN, May 1859)
MANSION, A., an express package was advertized for him in 1859.
MARAVANT, Joseph, is grantor, lots in Denver, consideration $115, on Cherry Creek. Signs with (X), Jul 12, 1859. Again, grantor of Denver lots 9 and 10, corner C. and McGaa Streets (southeast corner) Sep 13, 1859. In this paper he is described as “of Arapahoe County.” (Liber A, p. 180, old)
MARCHANT, William, of Denver 1859, sells Jul 30 all his interest in the firm of A. J. Williams & Company, including the Denver House and buildings known as the bowling saloon, etc. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, p. 149)
MARCY, Capt. R. B., camped with detachment of soldiers near mouth of Cherry Creek 1858.
MARDY, J. E., Denver, 1859, mining, mentioned in files.
MARIAN, Charley, singer and musician, mentioned in 1859 files as operating at the theatres. Charles P. Marian may be same (?) of firm of Foster & Marian, civil engineers and surveyors. One notice is of Charles Marian printing a map of Denver (or painting it), another refers to him as Capt. in Co. K. 1st Reg. Colo. Vols. 1861, and again it is reported that he recovers from shooting, etc.
MARSH, Martin, member of firm of J. W. Donellan & Company, grantors of claim on McGinnis Lode, Gregory Diggings. Recorded at Mountain City Oct 1, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 22)
MARSHALL, Gen. F. H., came to goldfields 1859, for there is in Arapahoe County Land Records deed to him of Auraria City lots from the Town Company on Dec 6. He was born in Lee County, Virginia Apr 3, 1816, removed Caldwell County, Missouri, 1842, married in Richmond, Missouri Miss Mary R. Williams. Removed 1852 to Marshall County, Kansas. Was in this state made Brig. Gen. Of Militia, then Maj. Gen. Moved his family across plains to goldfields 1861, engaged in freighting, merchandizing, moved to Central City, mining, then permanently settled down in Georgetown where he lived in 1880.
MARSHALL, George, member of Colorado Pioneers’ Society, arrived May 20, 1859. Lived in Monroe, Iowa 1907, and in a later list published 1920 is at same address.
MARSHALL, Hugh, (signs X), certificate of his Denver lots two select, and two draw lots “on Larimer Street, where his house stands” Nov 25, 1859. He later sells lots 7-8, block 67, lot 28, block 92, and later sells lot 21 for $250. (See Land Records, Index)
MARSHALL, Lee, (Marshall Lee ?), miner at Hill Difficulty, partner of Wallace Atherton, summer 1859.
MARSHALL, R., member of St. Louis Tunnelling Company operating at Gregory Diggings 1859.
MARSHALL, W. A., arrived May 28, 1859 from Leavenworth with 15 others, by Express Route (RMN, June) May 1859.
MARTIN, Bird, of Arapahoe County, grantor, Jan 16, 1860 lot in Colorado City, on Colorado Avenue and other lots yet to be drawn from his one half of original interest in said town; grantee Frederick Campbell, consideration $500. (Arapahoe County Land Records, 1859)
MARTIN, C., also E. Martin, H. Martin, of Pennsylvania arrived May 22, 1859 in Wagon 2 of E. Doty’s Lightning Express Train of 10 wagons. (RMN, May or June)
MARTIN, J. H., born England Oct 14, 1826, arrived Denver Nov 1859. (Name in list of Colorado Pioneers’ Society.) Home Denver.
MARTIN, John, had claim in winter of 1859 (Dec) near that of Joseph Merriveall, Clear Creek (ranche claim). (In either Jefferson or Arapahoe County Land Records. See indices)
MARTIN, Robert H., arrived Jun 1, 1859. Member of Society Pioneers of Gilpin County. (List of members)
MARTIN, V. G., with three other persons arrived from Warren County, Kentucky by Smoky Hill Route, Jun 3, 1859. (RMN, June)
MARTIN, Capt. Wilson, arrived with his party of six from Indiana May 16, 1859. (RMN, May)
MARTINEZ, Henry, has located ranche claim of 160 acres land next Peter Imer’s ranche claim, Jun 1859. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 50) In the winter following, Dec 21, he is of Doyle’s Ranche, and has a trial for property.
MARYLAND GULCH, (or Chase Gulch), on Jun 18, 1859 notice is given and recorded that water can be conveyed from this to Gregory Gulch. Signed by D. M. Crum and S. Bronson. (Gregory Record, p. 50)
MARYLAND LODE, mining here by Shoog & Company, summer 1859.
MASON, W. W., member of the first Constitutional Convention 1859, delegate from Gregory Diggings. He was a member of the Central Committee.
MASONRY in 1859. Masonic Hall in Gregory Gulch is described by Judge Matthews of Central. The location of it was selected about Jun 15 on south side of the Gulch, about 300 feet southwest of where the old Kip & Buell Mill was afterward built, and a house, or “Temple” about 30 feet square was built during the summer. (Matthews’ pamphlet, pp. 6-7, quoted in booklet printed by Denver Lodge No. 5 on its fiftieth anniversary.) This is prior to the founding of Auraria Lodge at Auraria City, which first met Oct 1, 1859 under dispensation granted by Grand Master Rees of Kansas Territory, and chartered by the Grand Lodge of Kansas Nov 21, 1861 as No. 37. Soon after this a Grand Lodge was formed in Colorado, and this charter was returned to the Grand Lodge of Kansas, and a new dispensation granted by the new Grand Lodge Sep 19, 1861, under name of Denver Lodge U. D., the two rival towns Auraria and Denver being consolidated. The early records of this Lodge are still preserved. Square & Compass published a reprint of some of the records of old Auraria Lodge, pp. 30-1-2, Apr 1895 (see files in Public Library Denver) and its first Hall was in 2nd floor of Buddee & Jacobs’ store building in Auraria, a very elegant frame building in 1859, finished with glass windows, some considerable moundings, all painted snow white. (See illustration of it as frontispiece, Photograph 1924)
The Grand Lodge of Colorado consisted as first of three bodies the Golden City Lodge, the Summit (No. 2) at Parkville, and the Rocky Mountain No. 3 at Gold Hill, chartered as the Summit in Jun 1861 by the Grand Lodge of Nebraska Territory. It will be seen that part of the Lodges owed dispensation to Nebraska, and the others to Kansas, Rocky Mountain Lodge was at Gold Hill, but is now gone, and the locations of the Lodge rooms cannot be identified. On the occasion of opening her Lodge home in the beautiful Buddee & Jacobs building, Auraria Lodge assembled 40 Masons the Worshipful Master was Henry Allen, S. W. Charles Johnson, Charles H. Blake Jr., Warden, J. H. Gest Secretary pro tem, A. Sagendorf Treasurer pro tem, John Graves, S. D., J. D. Ramage J. D., John Hughes Tyler. Arapahoe Lodge was the first name of Auraria Lodge, but it never had a dispensation. It met in cabins in Auraria since Oct 1858.
(From description of the Lodge Hall and first meeting at Gregory Gulch, Square and Compass, p. 29, Apr 1896.) The Masonic Lodges of Denver met in the Tappan Block prior to 1874, and after leaving Auraria, but after 1874, the RMN announces their elegant new quarters in Fink Block. Here they had the entire upper story, which faces 61 feet on Holladay Street, and 26 feet on 15th Street, Nos. 5 and 7 met here, and Chapter No. 2.
The Masonic Cemetery was located 1870 or later, at north end of F. Street, Denver, with Francis Gallup in charge.
MASTERSON, J. F., was in 1858 an original stockholder of Auraria.
MASTERSON, Jacob, came with Russell’s party. May be same above? Nov 10, 1859 is grantee from Auraria Town Company to 8-1/2 lots ($1).
MASTERSON, Jacob T., witness Nov 1, and again on Dec 17, 1859. May be same party above? In the RMN, Dec 14, 1865, is marriage of a Joseph Masterson to Mrs. Elvira R. Flemming by P. P. Wilcox, Esq. This note is included as it may indicate a relative.
MATHER, Ewin (?) (Ewin C.), Sep 9, 1859 is grantee of lots 29-30, block 47, Denver City. Later in RMN, Apr 9, 1861, notice of death of Edw. C. Mather, formerly of Fort Calhoun, Nebraska, is given as having occurred the previous week on Apr 3. (Same party?)
MATHIS, M. L., arrived with the following companions on Jun 14, 1859, via Smoky Hill Route, 56 days from Leavenworth, and 60 miles without wood and water: (all are from Mt. Pulaski, Illinois) N. M. Whittaker, W. C. Webster, A. B. Dement, David Clark. (RMN) (At the time of this arrival the paper announces that from one to three hundred are arriving in Denver each day.)
MAUVER, Louis, grantee, Sep 21, 1859, Auraria lot No 9, block 33, on St. Louis Street. (Arapahoe County Land Records,’59, old)
MAXEY, N. R., farming claim filed Dec 14, 1859, being on west side Platte River, near Allen & Murchy’s claim. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
MAXON, D. C., arrived Jul 1859. Lived part of time in Elbert, Colorado. Born New York Feb 12, 1825. (Name in list of Colorado Pioneers’ Society)
MAXON, M. H., arrived in Wagon 8, of E. Doty’s Lightning Express Train of 10 wagons, May 22, 1859, and was from Kansas Territory. His name is in Arapahoe County Land Records, later on Oct 6, as witness in land grant.
MAXON, S., arrived from Elkhart, Indiana May 14, 1859, 39 days from St. Louis. (RMN, files of May ’59)
MAXWELL, C. A., is the authorized agent of the Western Mountaineer, Dec 7, 1859. This paper was published at Golden City by Mr. West. Mr. Maxwell was its agent in Mountain City to deed to claims, etc. (Gregory Record, p. 22)
MAXWELL, Lucien B., famous scout, hunter and guide, and contemporary with the Bents, Sublette, etc., made very wealthy by sale of his lands in the “Maxwell Grant.” Was born in Kaskaskia, near Missouri River, came to New Mexico in 1841, and married a daughter of Charles Baubien, lived in Taos, was with one of Fremont’s expeditions. He with Bent, Lupton, St. Vrain, and Baubien founded an American settlement on Adobe Creek as early as 1840, but it disappeared after 1846. (Site now in Fremont County.) He purchased several Spanish grants and built town of Rayado, afterward Cimmarron was laid out by him in 1857-8, and he died Las Vegas Aug 1875. (Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 167, Vol. 2, p. 242)
MAYER, Lebolt, grantee Arapahoe County “2 lots on corner of C. and Larimer Streets opposite the lots and house occupied by Gen. William Larimer, Jr. in Denver City, Kansas Territory,” consideration $400, date Jul 23, 1859. Hickory Rogers is grantor. (Arapahoe County old Land Records, Liber A, p. 187)
MAYER (or Meyer), Samuel, in 1858 had donation lots with agreement to build hewed log house by Mar 1859. (These were probably in Auraria City ?)
MAYER, W. H., express package advertized for him in RMN, files ’59.
MAYFIELD, ---, a young man, miner in Gregory Diggings, mentioned in RMN, files of ’59.
MAYHEW, ---, was candidate for City Attorney in Dec 1859. There was also a resident of either Denver or Auraria by name of A. Mayhew.
MAYWOOD, Pap (?), came with Lawrence Party from Kansas in 4th wagon 1858. This party brought supplies to the goldfields.
MAZERVE, ---, was on a committee of members of old Auraria Lodge Jan 7, 1860, of members to prepare by-laws and have same published: Bryant and Blake were associated with Mazerve, but his name is mentioned first, so he was probably chairman of the committee. (If the by-laws were ever published it was the first Masonic production printed in the Rocky Mountain Region.) This information is from Square and Compass, p. 33, Apr 1895. (Edited by L. N. Greenleaf, Denver.)
MEACH, Mr., is described as fishing in the mountains, by RMN, files during a time in summer of ’59.
MEEKS & ROBERTS, mining at Russell’s Gulch, 12 men. (RMN, 1859)
MEERMAN & BROTHERS, with four men, mining in Pleasant Valley Diggings. (RMN, files of ’59)
MEGILL, Nicholas, (Megel, also spelled), owned in 1859 lot 1, block 38, also lot 9, block 41, all in Auraria City Oct 18. (2 deeds)
MELLEY, Frederic, a German butcher, died of wounds from stabbing. (RMN, files 1859)
MELVIN, J., was member first Constitutional Convention, a delegate from Illinois Central Diggings summer of 1859. John Melvin was a resident of Denver during this year, and John G. Melvin appears in lists of Colorado Pioneers’ Society of 1920 as residing in Melvin, Colorado. His birth is given in list published in Society of History of Colorado by Hall, Vol. 2, p. 561, as in Connecticut Nov 22, 1836, and arrived in Colorado dated Jul 15, 1859.
MENCH, John L., (This name appears in my notes as grantor of Denver lots 1859, but with no reference. Probably from Arapahoe County Land Records.)
MERCER, Mr., “of Chicago Creek Bar,” testifies in Pascoe case in Nov 1859. Reported in Western Mountaineer of Jan 25, 1860.
MERCHANT & COMPANY, mining at Russell’s, six men. (RMN, files of 1859)
MERRICK, George G., pioneer arrived May 7, 1859, of Denver 1890. Born Massachusetts Jul 12, 1829. (Hall’s ColoradoHistory, Vol. 2, p. 560)
MERRICK, John L., proprietor of the rival newspaper The Cherry Creek Pioneer, “bought out” by the RMN on the appearance of its first issue Apr 26, 1859. This paper exists (one copy in State Historical Society library files of the RMN), and it was consulted with much profit by this compiler, who obtained from it about twenty or more Fiftyniners that she could have had from any source otherwise. They will be given as they occur in the arrangement. He is said to have arrived in Denver with a small printing outfit Apr 13, being from St. Joseph, Missouri. The following editorial appears in the RMN, Sep 28, 1865: “We are pained to learn from our Leavenworth Exchanges, of the death in that city of the 18th instant: of Capt. John L. Merrick, who was well known here in the early days of Colorado. He had the honor of issuing the first newspaper in the Territory, on Apr 26, 1859, called “The Cherry Creek Pioneer.” Only one number was issued, however, when it was merged in the RMN. He was an officer under the Provisional Government and afterwards for a year or two an employe of the RMN office. At the breaking out of the Rebellion, he was one of the first to take up arms in the Army of the Union. He enlisted as a private in the 16th Illinois Regiment (Col. Smith) and was afterwards transferred to the 7th Kansas Cavalry, and commanded as Captain. After serving for over a year in that Regiment, he resigned, in consequence of a wound and later enlisted in Blunt’s Body Guard, where he was again wounded severely, and again mustered out. Last summer he spent as a scout in the extreme South, and there, by exposure, and want of care, contracted the disease of which he has just died. His age was about 36 or 38 years. He was a man possessed of excellent qualities of heart and head, and was universally esteemed and respected by all who know him.” Merrick served in the first Constitutional Convention as a delegate from Mountain City, 1859 and seems to have been nominated as Marshall at the October Convention, and early in the year (August) he files statement in Arapahoe County Land Office that he is entitled to Draw Lots in the Town Company.
Mr. Byers wrote probably, the editorial given above, and it ought to settle the burning question of the priority of the two papers. Later issues of the RMN, also most of the histories, have always claimed that Merrick’s paper came second. If Mr. Byers in the kindness of his heart “stretched the truth” while writing his old rival’s obituary, other commentators, it seems to me should follow suit.
MERRITT, John M., arrived in Denver May 21, 1859, with William Unger and John Turner, and his widowed mother advertizes for him as lost and she gives her address as Jasper, Texas. He came from this place. (RMN, files, 1859)
MERRIVALL (Merrivell) (Merivill), Joseph, his child is said to have been the first death in Auraria, in Mar 1859. (Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2, p. 233) Joseph Merrivall appears in Arapahoe County Land Records as early as Feb 6, 1859, “of the City of Auraria” and receives assignment – of lots of William McGee of Denver City on this date. Later, Dec 27, he files farm claim to land situated on south bank Clear Creek, at northwest corner of John Martin’s claim. (Liber D, p. 30, old) In Feb 1860 he sells this claim.
MERSEREAU & KEANE, of Golden, mentioned in Western Mountaineer as preparing to run a line of hacks between that city and Denver after Dec 1859.
METCALF S. C., arrived Apr 14, 1859, with Capt. William Valentine’s train of six wagons from St. Joseph, 23 days, originally from La Salle, Illinois. (Cherry Creek Pioneer, Vol 1, No. 1, Apr 23, 1859) (See information under John L. Merrick.)
METHODIST CHURCH, in the Watrous’ History of Larimer County, p. 20, it is stated that the first Methodist Episcopal Church was started in Central City, Jul 1859,and the first in Denver in August of same year. In Auraria City, Feb 9, 1860 the land records show that the Auraria Town Company donated lot 11, block 63 for a building for this society.
METZ, Thomas A., arrived from Stout’s P. O., Ohio, with party of B. J. Stout. (See under this name.)
MEYER, Ferdinand, pioneer of 1867 to San Luis Valley, Colorado, died in Costilla, New Mexico, Mar 28, 1921. Born Brunswick, Germany 1836, emigrated United States age of 20 years, lived in St. Louis, Missouri, and Taos, New Mexico where his work was to care for 100 mules and wagon trains. Clerked in store in Costilla later, and 1867 owned store, and soon had chain of stores in San Luis Valley. Friend of Kit Carson and Tom Tobin. There was only 17 white men below Saguache and above Santa Fe when he arrived in 1867, excepting the soldiers at the Forts. (Garland and another) At time of his death he was member of Lodge No. 7 A.F. & A.M. Denver. His children: Charles (1565 Steel Street, Denver), Harry (Nebraska), Will F, Bertram, and Percy (Costilla), Mrs. E. E. Van Diest (Colorado Springs), Mrs. D. Salazar (San Luis, Colorado). The Trail, Apr 21, Denver)
MEYER, J. H., arrived Apr 20, 1859. Born Maryland, Jan 22, 1837. Lived Pueblo 1890. (Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2, p. 560)
MEYER, L. & COMPANY are mentioned in files of RMN in 1859 as among the number of merchants handling gold dust.
MEYER, Leopold, was resident Denver 1920 and member Society Colorado Pioneers. In Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2, p. 561, his birth is given, Sep 16, 1838 in France, and arrived Colorado May 15, 1859.
MICHAELTREE, William, announced in file of RMN summer 1859 as having died enroute to Denver City.
MICHAU, Felix, on Jun 8, 1859 was joint owner of lots on Larimer Street between C. and D., north side where the plank house is now erected. There is a wedding (in files of 1862) at residence of the bride’s father in Arapahoe County between Miss Jennie Blundell and Felix Michaud (?) Oct 22, 1862.
MICHAUD, Frank, freighter for Col. Bent in 1857, between this point and St. Louis, Missouri, where he returned the following year, and in spring of 1859 arrived Denver, going to Central City to mining business. Later preempted ranche on Platte River near Brighton, but traded it in 1871 for land on Cache la Poudre, in Larimer County, where he is living 1911. Born Oct 13, 1837, Isle Verte, Quebec. Married in Canada 1867 to Aurelia Paradis. For his children, see Watrous’ History Larimer County, p. 402.
MICHEE, or Michel, of Huerfano, is said to be a pioneer of 1859.
MICHELE, David, stockholder in Denver City Town Company, 1859.
MIDBURY, H. T., and company of five men, arrived from Ohio, spring 1859. (RMN, files)
MIDDAUGH, William H., Sheriff of Arapahoe County Oct 3, 1859, sells property from court house door, Denver City. He seems to live in Auraria City. Received from that Town Company, 9 lots, Dec 23 in this year, he acted as representative of the Vigilance committee, pursuing James Gordon’s friends. This trial is described in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, pp. 237-243. Middaugh was on his way to the states when killed, and was shot from ambush near Julesburg, two or three years after the trial.
MIDDLETON, Dr. C. H., from South Bend, Indiana, represented in files of 1859 as mining at Tarryall District, also in Gregory. He is spoken of also as having come from South Park, and traveling now in the mountains.
MIDDLETON, Robert with wife and child and two young men, were in 9th wagon of Lawrence Party which brought supplies to the mouth of Cherry Creek 1858. He later lived in the first log house in Canon City, according to Bancroft, Vol. 25, p. 391.
MIFLER (Miller?), John R, in list of pioneers, said to have arrived Jun 12, 1859. Died Mar 8, 1888. (No residence noted.)
MIGEL, Nicholas, an original stockholder of Auraria Town Company, 1858.
MILBURY, H. T., with company of five men, arrived Jun 3 1859 from Ohio by Smoky Hill Route. (RMN)
MILES, Alfred H., member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, arrived Sep 5, 1859. Born Cleveland, Ohio Sep 14, 1820. He farmed on Clear Creek, nine miles from Denver, later on Cherry Creek, and finally lived in Denver retired. He started with family for California, but on reaching Denver decided to remain and gave up his enterprise.
MILES, Charles, arrived with D. C. Oakes and party of five men, via Platte Trail Oct 10, 1858.
MILES, George T., born Ohio Sep 15, 1844, arrived Colorado Sep 19, 1859. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society in list of 1907, home Denver.
MILES, S. C., certificate recorded in Arapahoe County Land Records of his two select lots, 9-10, block 98, Sep 20, 1859. S. E. Miles (same?) is member whose name appears in record of Gilpin County Pioneers’ Society, credited with arriving on May 1, 1859. There was no note of his demise in this record up to 1923.
MILES, T. C., tinsmith, hardware, etc., Ferry Street, Auraria City, 1859. (Directory)
MILES, Z. C., resident of Auraria 1859. (Name from clipping)
MILEY, L., arrived Apr 14, 1859 via Capt. William Valentine’s wagon train of six wagons, from La Salle, Illinois, 23 days from St. Joseph. (Cherry Creek Pioneer, Vol. 1, No. 1, Apr 23, 1859) L. Miley is in Mountain City engaged in mining in Sep 1859, for he files statement of his desire to discontinue working his claim in Gregory Gulch until Jun 1860 as he wishes to obtain from the States some machinery. He states that the claim is mostly hard quartz, and cannot be worked for want of water. On Sep 26, he files this application for exemption. (Gregory Record, p. 28)
MILHEIM, John, in Directory of 1859 is a baker, with shop on Larimer Street. His name appears in Arapahoe County Land Records as witness in sale of a farm claim on Platte River Oct 6 of that year. He is mentioned in Vol. 25, in biographical notes of Colorado by Bancroft, and later by other historians. Born Bierne, Switzerland Jun 3, 1835. Emigrated United States age 14 years with a number of others, lived in New York, Niagara Falls, where he followed baker’s trade, while at Columbus, Ohio he followed steel polishing. Omaha 1856, and on Apr 16, 1859 in that place married Miss Reithmann, a sister of J. J. and L. D. Reithmann, also pioneers of Denver. The former was his partner later in the year 1859 in opening a bakery in Denver. This he carried until in 1866 when he embarked in real estate, property, etc. (Note: there is a John Milheim living at 1355 Pennsylvania Street, Denver, in Directory of 1925.)
MILLER, ---, of firm of Beaigien & Miller, merchants handling gold dust in advertizement in RMN 1859. Denver City and Auraria.
MILLER, A., mining, 1859, Clear Creek & Boulder. A. Miller was elected a Rocky Mountain Ranger, in 2nd precinct, Mountain City, same year, and A. Miller was partner of C. J. McDuffie & Company in claim on Hyatt Lode, Gregory Diggings, Sep 30, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 2) while Alfred Miller was witness of deed in Mountain City, Sep 28, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 13)
MILLER, G., is witness Oct 3, 1859, in Gregory Diggings. (Gregory Record, p. 43) (name may be C. Miller)
MILLER. J. D., born New York, Mar 22, 1836, member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, and given as having arrived Pike’s Peak Sep ’58. One of name J. D. Miller is member of firm of Washburn & Company, or Washburn, Miller & Company, mining in vicinity of Mountain City in 1859.
MILLER, James C., witness to deed, Mountain City, Sep 26, 1859. (Gregory Record)
MILLER, John, name occurs among party bringing supplies to the goldfields from Kansas in 1858. (See J. D. Miller above?) This may be same John Miller who is noted as having arrived in 5th wagon of the Lawrence Party, and who made ascent of Pike’s Peak in July of that summer with several others of party.
MILLER, John, Nov 5, 1859, files claim to 160 acres land, for ranching purposes, lying on northeast side of road leading from Denver to Golden City, in bend of river at Table Mountain, and two miles from Golden City.
MILLER, John D., (see J. D., also John, above) who arrived with Lawrence party 1858 is said to be in 1899 a citizen of Pueblo.
MILLER, L., reported in RMN as having arrived mouth Cherry Creek May 28, 1859. Wagon train from Missouri. Another record of an L. Miller (Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2, p. 560) gives arrival May 1, 1860. Resident Denver. Again, Lycurgus Miller appears in Jun 1859 to be grantor of a farm claim situated on Clear Creek near Table Mountain, to H. C. Green. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 19, Golden City)
MILLER, Paul, said to have arrived with Mell Beach and Dr. Gavin 1859.
MILLIKEN, Mrs. Louise, died age 80, Dec 12, 1924. Originally from Waynesburg, Pennsylvania, her father’s name not given, said to be pioneer of 1859. (The Trail, Jan 1924)
MILLS, Austin R., in 1858 original stockholder of Auraria City, is in 1859 conveying lot 5, block 6, in this place Nov 8. Name in last transaction given as A. R. Mills.
MILLS, Charles, in list of pioneers of 1858.
MILLS, L., of Denver, in list in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2, p. 560, arrived Jul 11, 1859. Born Kentucky Dec 26, 1826.
MILLS, L. C., arrived May 1, 1859, but reported deceased in Colorado Pioneers’ Society list (probably before 1880).
MILLS, name of S. Mills, in list of Jul 1859, Denver. (May be the same as L. Mills above ?)
MILLS, S. E., said to have arrived May 10, 1859.
MILLS, W. M., Esq., from the leads of the St. Vrain, mentioned in RMN, files of 1859.
MILLS, William, in list of occupants of the third wagon, Lawrence party, bringing supplies to the goldfields from Kansas 1858.
MILTON, George, is owner of lots 11-12, block 244, and 29-30, block 235, Denver City, Sep 26, 1859.
MILTON, Richard G., deeds to Elias Brown, mining claims, of 100 feet each, in the Sargent Lode, located north of the Lake Lode, about 120 yards west of Discovery Claim. (Gregory Diggings, Aug 9, 1859) (Gregory & Mountain City Record Book, Central.)
MILTON, Thomas, of Nevada Gulch, miner. (Mentioned newspaper clipping.)
MINER, Cyrus M., grantor, to E. Brown, claims in Gregory Diggings Aug 8, 1859. “For want of the proper machinery, the above cannot be worked this season.” Dated at Mountain City, West Gregory Diggings. (Gregory Record, p. 9)
MING & COOPER, firm, freighters, in 1859, of Auraria City. They sue J. N. Cochran. (Represented as bringing in trains.) Also advertized store in Auraria.
MING, DOYLE & COMPANY, mining at Tarryall, during this year.
MING & WARREN, this firm had store in large brick block on Ferry Street, Auraria, in this year.
MING, John, had groceries to sell 1858 in cabin built in “Indian Row.” This may be same as John F. Ming, who signs deed as witness, Mar 18, 1859, and John H. Ming who files farm claim in 1859, same he located in 1858 on east bank of South Platte River, at outlet of Chrystal Lake. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber F, p. 102) He is also mentioned in list of merchants handling gold, and one description of his grocery is of situated opposite Vasquez House, on Ferry Street. Another mention is of a saloon owned by J. H. Moer, of north 1/2 of lot 1, block 10, on Cherry Street, 132 feet back, in West Denver, conditional on Moer paying Ming $400, sixty days from date, in good seasonable lumber. There is a wedding recorded in 1868 of John H. Ming of Virginia City, Montana Territory, to Miss Katie L. Cole, of Nevada City, Colorado, Feb 20, but compiler does not know if same party. (Golden records)
MINNEHAHA TOWN & MARBLE COMPANY, incorporated with 24 members Nov 16, 1859 to build town and work their marble quarry, at lands claimed near South Fork of Sand, or Plum Creek, on west side of said creek, and about 15 miles from the junction with North Fork of said stream. (Three sections of land in Arapahoe County.) (Done at Minnehaha, Nov 16, 1859.) (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber C, p. 189, old)
MINNESOTA COMPANY, mining in Russell’s Gulch, summer 1859 with five men. (Files,1859)
MINOR & COMPANY, mining during summer of this year in lower part of Russell’s Gulch, at Pleasant Valley, seven men. (See Miner, also)
MINTER, J.J. as his ranche was advertized in Apr 1860 as very desirable for stock, cattle, etc., with corrals, etc., and to keep stock, it is likely this is an arrival of the previous year. (?) Owned ranche claim of R. McCurley, on Platte, in Nov 1859, kept “The Hermitage” this year, in Denver, and on Dec 21, from his house the marriage of Miss Eliza Burch to Charles Corbin took place.
MISSOURI CITY, town platted upon the Divide between Russell and Illinois and Spring Gulches, during 1859. It died out after Central made increases.
MISSOURI FLATS, place where water was scarce, and dirt had to be hauled away to be washed. Rockers were used here 1859.
MISSOURI HOUSE, noted in Denver City in this year.
MITCHELL, David, member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, living 1920 in Denver. He was born in Missouri Sep 5, 1848. Was an arrival of Sep 1859, and stockholder in Denver City Town Company in that year.
MITCHELL, J., member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, living Denver where he arrived May 1859. Born Prussia 1812. Was deceased previous to 1890.
MITCHELL, Nathan, on Sep 26, 1859 sells undivided interest in nine mining claims held by Loveland, Tozier & Coan in the Tozier Lode, Gregory District. (Gregory Record, old)
MOCK, George R., came from Missouri to Colorado 1859, living first at Georgetown, later on land where Neepesta now stands. Father of James and William, mentioned below. Miss Luella Shaw in her “Pioneer Tales” published in Hotchkiss, Colorado 1909 is his grand daughter.
MOCK, James, living Ordway, Colorado 1909, came with father George R. to Colorado and was later in Battle of Sand Creek.
MOCK, William, came with father and brother James to Colorado and was in Battle of Sand Creek later. He lived 1909 in Fowler, Colorado.
MODENA, Mariana, first settler in Big Thompson Valley, 1858. From San Luis Valley, with Indian wife, five children and servants, had picturesque and hospitable ranche named Namaqua, where she died 1874, he in 1878, both buried near their log cabin home. He was of Spanish and Indian blood, and famous as a scout and guide in Indian matters. Next to Kit Carson, Jim Bridger and Jim Baker, he was the most noted frontiersman in the country. In Watrous’ History of Larimer County, pp. 122, also 167-9, his life is mentioned. Also portrait, and view of his stage station at Namaqua.
MOER, S. H., was a pioneer of 1859, first mentioned in RMN as accompanying some prospectors to a mine: His name appears in Land Records of early times, and he was a builder and in lumber trade in Auraria. He was Quartermaster in First Reg. Vols. In Aug 1861, also was Chairman of the New Republican Club, organized soon after the first nomination of Lincoln. (Colorado Republican, Jun 1861) He was also Chairman of the Republican Party organization and is written up at length in the number of Jun 8, 1861, 4th page, 7th column. His lumber yard in May 1860 was on 5th or Larimer Street, near the bridge, and his mill in operation on Plum Creek in Jul 1863 he was Captain, and is mentioned in the papers of the time. Once, he and his wife with Mr. and Mrs. Byers and Gov. Elbert visited Central Sep 14, 1862, and travelled from that city to Idaho Springs, then a mining camp called “Idaho.”
MOHFIELD, Louis, was very early in the country, for he files for record Jan 2, 1860 deed to 20 lots from Auraria Town Company.
MONELL, Dr. George C., came with Byers and printing press from Omaha, and started the RMN after Feb. 1859. He arrived February.
MONK, Hank, was the stage driver on Overland Stage to California in 1859 conveying Horace Greeley westward. The road crossed the Big Thompson River at Mariana Modena’s place, crossed the Cache la Poudre at La Porte, then on into the mountains at Virginia Dale. Greeley rode over the Sierra with Hank Monk, and a description is in Watrous’ History Larimer County, p. 84.
MONMOUTH LODE, a rich prospect in 1859.
MONROE & LEONARD, mining company, eight men, washing gold at Pleasant Valley during this year.
MONTANA CITY, first town platted in Pike’s Peak Region, by the Lawrence party, Sep 1858, on South Platte River 4-1/2 miles west of State Capitol building, and its site is bounded now on north by West Evans Avenue, on east by South Tremont Street, on south by West Iliff Avenue, on west by Platte River. It lies directly east of the old Overland Cotton Mills. Later, after the passing of Montana City, William J. Boyer took up this land with some more, for a ranche. He was the Secretary of the Town Company, the President being Josiah Hinman. They built two log houses at first, one of which was given up to Countess Muratt, while the men of the party camped in the other one. Montana City did not survive the close of 1859; her projectors moved to the mouth of Cherry Creek and in a few more months Auraria City and Denver appeared under the cottonwood trees. In 1923 a tablet was placed on the site by one of the Historical Societies, and the meeting attended by one of the original pioneers.
MONTANA CREEK, a stream west of Auraria, probably a dry gulch in the hills of North Denver, near site of Montana City, where gold was washed.
MONTGOMERY, B., salesman, in Business Directory of Denver City and Auraria for 1859. Bacon Montgomery, probably same, appears in early land deeds of Denver, grantee of lots 10-11, block 241, Auraria, Oct 28 of this year.
MONTI, Joshua, arrived Nov 1858, was always prominent in Denver, and many land records include his name; the earliest is of lot 21, block 48, dated Jan 14, 1860. In 1899 he lived at 1344 Pennsylvania Avenue. The Monti Block on Larimer Street was built by him. He is interred Fairmont Cemetery in very elegant mausoleum.
MOODIE, John, a resident of Golden City, takes up claim on Ralston Creek near claim sold by Nelson Rowan Jan 12, 1860. (Jefferson County Land Records)
MOODY, George Lyman, civil engineer and surveyor, and one of the first members of Auraria Lodge A.F. & A.M., on the night it was opened 1859. Aug 18, 1860 he was appointed to assist the Secretary in making out a transcript of the records of the Lodge to be forwarded to the Grand Lodge of Kansas, with a petition for a charter. He had formerly been a member of Waubansia Lodge No. 160 in Grand Jurisdiction of Illinois. He made a plat of Auraria City in 1859, and in Feb 1860 makes an agreement to make changes in maps of both cities. “And run the meander of the Platte between the points where it has not yet been run by me.” For this work, making good map, tracings, etc., he is to receive the sum of $4,000. A very beautiful colored map made by Moody & Marion is filed in Liber F, p. 26 May 24, 1860. This shows claim of P. H. Way beginning at H. & K. Streets, and 15 blocks above river.
MOON, H., makes notice of claim to land for ranche, near Clark & Company mill, up and down Clear Creek, and next Golden City line, in the County of Jefferson, the Territory of Jefferson, dated Dec 24, 1859. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 1, Cash Book)
MOONEY (Rooney?), Michael, makes farm claim, 160 acres, Arapahoe County “By one hundred yards above the crossing of Clear Creek, by the Cherokee Trail. Located Apr 2, 1859, by said Michael Mooney.” (Arapahoe County Land Records)
MOORE, ---, and three other men arrived Jun 4, 1859, Denver, from Gilson, Knox County, Illinois. (RMN, files, Jun 1859)
MOORE, J. D., member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, arrived May 25, 1859. Born Illinois Jul 11, 1838. (Lived Denver.)
MOORE, J. O. member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, arrived Colorado May 15, 1859. Born Illinois Apr 19, 1832. (Lived in Denver part of time.)
MOORE, John, incorporator Nov 16, 1859, of the Minnehaha Town & Marble Company, “to acquire lands and make Marble Quarries.”
MOORE, John A., grantee, Gregory District of mining claims (Gregory Record, Central City) another: John A. Moore makes claim with W. A. H. Love, land, for building purposes, in Mountain City, Sep 30, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 4)
MOORE, John C., member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, arrived Colorado Jun 27, 1859. Born Tennessee Aug 18, 1834. He was elected Territory Representative from 1st District same year, and in December elected Mayor of Denver, in Territory of Jefferson. Hall’s Colorado History says that Moore being a Southerner, when the Rebellion broke out, went home and became an officer in the Confederate service.
MOORE, Mark, or Mark A., (probably same), was a miner in Russell’s Gulch and on Oct 21, 1859, was appointed by the miners’ organization on a committee to voice their protest against the Denver & Auraria merchants reducing the price of gold dust, and to draft resolutions, etc. This meeting is given in RMN, files, Nov. 10. He was at one time in very early day, councilman elect from 4th District, and was by Gov. Steele appointed Commissary General (probably of Militia).
MOORE, S. R., arrived May 22, 1859 from Illinois in E. Doty’s Lightning Express train of ten wagons, with D. McKinney, M. McCarthy, D. McCarthy, J. Kennedy, E. Kennedy, all of Illinois, and D. Kelley of Pennsylvania. (RMN)
MOORE, S. T., of O’Fallon, Illinois, arrived May 28, 1859 by Alfred Tucker’s train, by the Arkansas Route (reported in RMN a few days later).
MOORE, W., reported as an arrival in Boulder Valley Oct 17, 1858.
MOORE, W. E., was a member of the first Constitutional Convention, delegate from Jefferson Precinct 1859. (RMN) This may be the same as Capt. W. E. Moore mentioned in RMN during that summer as a miner in the Tarryall Diggings. The Capt. is also referred to in the paper as a visitor from Omaha, Nebraska.
MOORE & GRIMES, are merchants and dealers in Denver City during this year.
MOOREHEAD, C. R., with John W. Russell, kept general store on Blake Street, in Denver, according to Directory of Merchants and Businessmen of 1859.
MORAUD, or MORAND (?), Thomas M., grantee from Auraria Town Company Oct 31, 1859 four city lots in Auraria in blocks 34, 119-140-241. Later he buys of the company, some more lots in blocks 26-34- and 192. This is in December. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber F, p. 3)
MOREHEAD, Charles, grantee, Nov 23, 1859, (with John W. Russell), Denver lot 29, block 70, from T. J. Bayaud (probably C. R. Moorehead above?)
MORGAN, ---, mentioned as with those at Montana City, 1858.
MORGAN, Edward, miner, in Rocky Mountain Diggings, appeared on miners’ Committee on Resolutions protesting the lowering price of gold dust in 1859.
MORGAN, I. D., (of Ohio) arrived 1859. (RMN)
MORGAN & COMPANY, (Noble, Morgan & Company), occupied ranche, 160 acre claim opposite Mt. Vernon, Oct 25, 1859. Sell claim.
MORGAN & HAWKINS, mining, two men, Russell Gulch, summer 1859. (RMN)
MORGAN, William H., born New York Jul 20, 1826, arrived goldfields May 10, 1859. In 1881 resident of Leadville and Kieber Creek. 1890, 1907 and 1920 resident of Park County. Was at first meeting Colorado Pioneers’ Society, when it was started, Jun 22, 1866. At this time it included only arrivals of 1858-9. He was in Golden City Jan 30, 1860, for he deeds to William O. Simpson of same place, a one fifth interest in 600 feet on the Morgan Lead, owned by Morgan, Baker & Company, situated directly north of Mountain City, Mountain County, Territory of Jefferson, etc. No witnesses. Recorded Golden, Land Record Office. (Mortgage)
MORREEN (Morrow?), Rollin, of Denver in Nov 1859, Denver lots. (See Rollin Morrow?)
MORRIS, James, loses pair of mules. (RMN, files, 1859)
MORRIS, Lewis, of Arapahoe County Dec 19,1859, and is grantee of lots in City of Auraria. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
MORRIS, M., member of Water Company (Ditch) 1859. (RMN)
MORRIS, M. C., of South Park country in 1859. (Mentioned in RMN)
MORRIS, M. F. (or W. F.?), member first Constitutional Convention 1859, a delegate from Deadwood.
MORRISON & COMPANY, three men, mentioned in RMN as mining in Russell’s summer 1859.
MORRISON, George, member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, born Canada Apr 16, 1822, arrived goldfields Jun 1, 1859. Settling in Mt. Vernon (Jefferson County now) in year of his arrival, then moved to Bear Creek (now Morrison). This place was given his name later. Engaged in stockraising, quarrying, and other industries, a livery stable in 1875, his wife was Miss Isabella Murray of Montreal, married 1846. He was born in this town, and before coming west had been a contracting builder there.
MORRISON, John, must have arrived 1859 for he grants on Jan 5, 1860 to G. N. Belcher both residents of Golden City, lot 4 in block 2, Golden City on south side of Creek.
MORRISON, Dr. John Hickey, was member of first Colorado Pioneers’ Society, meeting Jun 22, 1866, in Denver, and which only recognized those of 1858-9. He was grantee to land claim on Dec 9, 1859, same lying northeast of Denver on Platte. He was a graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago. Was born New York State, died suddenly Jul 21, 1876. His wife was a daughter of Joseph La Haie, Miss Charlotte, married in Wisconsin. They had three children and pretty ranche on Platte, near where Riverside now stands. He [was a] collector of Internal Revenue in Denver, later in lumber trade with two brothers, and had beautiful residence on Boulevard in North Denver.
MORRISON, Mr. M., arrived Jun 14, 1859. (note from clipping)
MORRISON, S. B., arrived 1859 with brother Dr. John H. Morrison (see above), bought ranche three miles north of Denver on Platte River, and engaged in lumbering and merchandizing. Was in business with brother, also in stock raising, mining in Gilpin County, and in Park County. Grocery business later. Moved to Georgetown 1865, operated there a quartz mill, married in 1871 in Denver.
MORRISON, Dr. Sidney, arrived Oct 11, 1859, with his wife, who is also a Fiftyniner. Mentioned in RMN clipping.
MORRISON, Silas, councilman elect, 3rd District, Denver 1859. (RMN)
MORRISON, William, Denver, arrived 1859 (note from clipping RMN, undated).
MORROW, Rollin, (see Morreen) of Arapahoe County Nov 10, 1858 grantor of lot on Blake Street (name spelled Rolla). Rollin Morrow was member Society Colorado Pioneers living at Bailey P. O. as late as 1907. Said to be an arrival of Oct 20, 1859.
MORTIMER, C. M., one of the locally famous “Cibola Minstrels” at Apollo Theatre, in 1859, mentioned in RMN and other papers of that day.
MORTON, C., arrived from Pennsylvania, summer of 1859. (Lists in RMN) There was in Nevada District during year a firm of Morton & Company, who owned a tunnell. May be same.
MOSQUITO RANGE, range of mountains near Fairplay, mentioned in annals of 1859 as mining district.
MOSS, D. R., enumerated in Trade Directory of 1859 as a hotel keeper located on Larimer Street, this may be the same as Donny P. (or R) Moss who Oct 1, this year mortgages for 264 dollars his property in Denver City. He is of Arapahoe County.
MOSS, R., arrived goldfields by Smoky Hill route, “43 days out of Leavenworth, by Leo Express Company, of Leo, Indiana.” May 24, 1859. (RMN)
MOULTON, J. M., files notice about his claim in Gregory Diggings on Oct 3, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 47)
“MOUNTAIN BOYS’ SALOON,” was situated in Oct 1859 on the first floor of a two story building in Denver (or Auraria), the upper floor being occupied by the Registrar of Deeds for the county, Eugene F. Clewell.
MOUNTAIN CITY, county seat of Mountain County, extended up to the intersection of Spring and Gregory Gulches. It’s centre, according to Hall, was just below the spot where the Kip & Buell Mill was later erected. Its site is at a point between Central City and Blackhawk, both of which grew up afterward. The ground was first, and always called “Gregory Diggings” and in Mar 1860, according to a letter published in the Golden paper (by West Mount) the town had not less than 3000 mines working, and 175 loaded wagons had been counted that day, all going into the mines, on the road leading to the camp from Golden City. Mr. A. W. Johnson counted them. The City was laid out at Gregory Point in May 1859, almost immediately after Gregory made his discovery of gold. Houses sprang up over night, for plenty of timber was at hand. Richard Sopris is said to have built the first house suitable for a family. The town had a newspaper, soon had a Masonic Hall, for the notice of the meeting of Mountain City Lodge appears in papers of Sep 3, 1859. William C. Matthews, P. M. and Secretary of Central Lodge says that the Masonic Temple was built 45 days after the discovery of gold, and that its Tyler mounted on horseback at the door, guarded it with a revolver. The growth of Central and Blackhawk eventually absorbed Mountain City about 1864; the members of the Mountain City Lodge joined other bodies, the Lodge perished, and now the Masonic Temple site is a matter of speculation. The rival cities are now perishing, soon they will be gone, soon the little cemeteries will be alone to tell the tale of Mountain City, Blackhawk and Central.
MOUNTAIN CITY TUNNELLING COMPANY, was started in short time after the town was laid out, to bring water to the mines. The Mountain House, situated above the town was built for a hotel, and was spoken of in the papers of the time.
“MOUNTAIN COUNTY,” the name of the county now called Gilpin, including much more space. This was formed under the Provisional Government, and has been called “The Cradle of Colorado.”
MOUNT PLEASANT CEMETERY, was a spot, now forgotten, where some burials were made in the first season; this may be the same as Mt. Prospect Cemetery (now Cheesman Park), but several pioneers think it was a spot in North Denver. Mt. Prospect Cemetery was incorporated Jan 23, 1862, and is advertized in the RMN, and Colorado Republican with William Larimer, Jr., President of the Company, and J. J. Walley, Secretary and Treasurer. “Inquire at office of the Secretary, where the plat of burial lots can be seen, first door below the Tremont House, on Front Street, West Denver, signed by J. J. Walley, undertaker.”
MOUNT VERNON, this place is advertized in RMN as “A new Town at foot of mountains, just laid out, Nov 1859, by Dr. J. Casto, 15 miles west of Denver.” The claim for the Town Company was taken up Oct 27, ten one quarter sections on the Denver, Auraria and Colorado Wagon Road, and at the entrance to Mt. Vernon Canon. In six months after its founding, 50 teams a day passed through it, while houses were rising rapidly. In 1860 it had 44 voters. In this year George Morrison kept his hotel there. Bell’s Hall was here, and Gov. Steele lived so close that Mr. R. Broad of Golden has said in his historical booklet that Mt. Vernon was the first capital of Colorado, inasmuch as under the Provisional Government Gov. Steele was everything. Rev. J. R. Dean had the first school, after 1860. The site of this was on Kendall and Second Streets. Dr. Casto and his friends must have been very active people, for in the fall of this year 1860, they erected what they called “The District of Mt. Vernon,” lying from Golden on the north to Turkey Creek on the south, and from Mt. Vernon corner on the west, to the line of the sand stone hogback on the east. They adopted a “Constitution” setting forth their needs; this had 2000 words it is said.
MOWRY, Alden, located Jul 20, 1859, farm claim on Bever (Bear?) Creek, Jefferson County, the same lying west of William Lewis’ claim. (Land Records, Liber A, p. 13)
MOYNE, Daniel, partner in firm of Rice and Moyne (N. H. Rice), carpenters, cabinet makers, and builders, in Directory of 1859 as located at F. Street, between Lawrence and Larimer (Fifteenth Street now). They had same year a sawmill said to be the first, also a lumber yard. William Larimer, in a letter written in 1858 mentions a young Omaha Deacon named Moyne as having a cabin next his own in the camp at mouth of Cherry Creek, this year. (William Larimer, Jr.) The letter was written in November.
MULKIN, John, of Denver, is grantee Aug 7, 1859, in association with J. J. Reithman in transfer of lots. (Land Records, liber A, p. 196)
MULL, Henry W., was advertized for in RMN, p. l, Dec 8, 1859 by a Muscatine, Georgia journal, as being a native of Germany, and having disappeared on way to Pike’s Peak. His age was stated to be 50. (Possibly this may be Muscatine, Iowa?)
MULLER, ---, is mentioned in papers as a merchant handling gold dust, and as a representative of Ceran St. Vrain in Auraria and Denver cities. In the Business Directory of 1859 the name of F. Muller appears as merchant, with store on Larimer Street.
MUMMAU, C., appears in RMN Oct 1859 as mining in Pleasant Valley, with three other men. He is grantee from Auraria Town Company, of lots 10, block 80 in Auraria City, dated Dec 21 same year, filed for record Apr 21, 1860. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Lliber F, p. 86)
MUMMAU, Harriet, grantee, from Auraria Town Company Dec 21, 1859, lot 9, block 80, in Auraria City. (See preceding note.)
MUND, of City of Paila, grants to her in Jan 21, 1860 lots from H. J. Brendlinger. (This may possibly be same family?) Another mention of Mund states that Philip Mund’s wife was Melinda, and that she was from Philadelphia in 1860.
MUND, A. H., is witness, in Auraria real estate transaction Dec 14, 1859. Another record Dec 21, Mrs. Malinda H. (Land Records, Liber D, p. 202, old)
MURAT, Henry, born (Hall’s List of Pioneers) in Germany Oct 25, 1823 was a picturesque arrival with the company which founded the city of Montana, camping there first Nov 2, 1858. This group consisted of 57 men, and 1 woman, the wife of Henry Murat, otherwise known as Countess Muratt, who was always treated with great respect. (One authority gives Oct 24 as date of arrival.) Muratt claimed to be a lineal descendant of Marshall Murat, afterward King of Naples, appointed by Bonaparte. His manners, it is said, showed a knowledge of cultivated life, unusual on the frontier, and he presided over his saloon, “Mozart Hall,” with the air of a prince. This place was called “The irresistible saloon” and was associated with David Smoke, in same year, 1859 in the El Dorado Hotel. Mrs. Muratt kept this place, in Auraria, she was of a lesser degree of culture than her husband, but an excellent pioneer woman full of resourcefulness. The Muratts seem not to have embarked in mining, and although they made one or two excursions into real estate, being grantees from one or other of the Town Companies to Donation Lots, with agreement to build hewed log cabin, yet there seems no building to have developed, but the lots were soon sold. One transaction was of date Jul 11, 1859, in which they were grantors to Samuel Dolman of Denver City, for a consideration of $75 gold, paid, lot northwest corner B. and Lawrence Streets, north side of street. Signed with seals by Murat and Catherine, his wife (Fulfox X ince ?) (Some very hard writing in old records). A purchase of Murat was of lot 25, block 62, City of Denver, from Edward Hayes. Murat attended the pioneers’ banquet at Windsor Hotel, Denver, in 1881, and died about 1884, according to RMN. His widow, the Countess Murat lived in Palmer’s Lake as late as 1890, perhaps later. Her portrait is in RMN, p. 7, Dec 5, 1899.
MURDOCK, David & Company, in Denver, 1859, operating the Pittsburg Tunnell, in mining camp. (RMN, files)
MURPHY, --- Mr., in list arrivals in RMN spring of 1859, from Omaha.
MURPHY, --- Mr., had claim on west side Platte River, in Arapahoe County in Dec 14, 1859.
MURPHY, Darlington & Company, tunnell in Nevada District, spring 1859. (RMN)
MURPHY, H., of Shaw & Murphy, butchers, Denver, Directory of 1859.
MURPHY, H. C., member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, name in their list. Born Ireland Sep 1838, arrived Pike’s Peak District Jun 18, 1859. He was still living in Denver 1920.
MURPHY, J. J., was witness, Denver, lot sale Dec 1859.
MURRAY, J. P., “arrived May 30, 1859, by Santa Fe Route, two months in passage, party of 11 all from Clayton, Georgia.” (RMN, List of Arrivals of this year, from files.)
MURPHY, James, of firm of Wallingford & Murphy, groceries, Larimer Street, Denver City. (Directory 1859) He also files certificate of his lot No. 4, block 36, Denver City, Aug 23, same year. In November makes another record of lots.
MURPHY, Joseph, witness in land or lot transaction Denver, Jun 1, 1859.
MURRAY & COMPANY, mining in Mountain City, also Murray & Arnold, eight men mining in Nevada Gulch, summer of 1859. (Mentioned in RMN)
MYERS, D. P. (AND COMPANY), grantor to mining claim in Gregory Diggings, (description of claim here) Gregory Record, p. 191, 1859, Mountain City.
MYERS, J. H., member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, born Pennsylvania Oct 31, 1834, arrived goldfields Aug 8, 1859.
MYERS & BRYAN, mining during summer 1859, Nevada Gulch. (RMN) (Pyers & Bryan)
MYGATT, J. G., (See Wygatt) witness to deed, Auraria Nov 1859.
Denver Public Library Online ©
Updated: June 25, 2013