HAAS, Peter, “of Arapahoe County,” grantee, from Sam S. Curtis of Arapahoe County, 12 Denver City lots, consideration $500, dated Dec 15, 1859. (Haas & Brothers Cigars, Denver, ’61) (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber D, p. 319, old)
HACKNEY, H., a young man who accompanied L. M. Black from Kentucky, arriving Denver ’59 crossing plains by Smoky Hill Route, mentioned in files of RMN 1859, but record of his being with Black is from file of RMN, p. 2, Aug 18, 1874.
HACKSTOCK, William, witness to transfer of lots from Auraria Town Company to T. W. Morand, dated Oct 31, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
HADLEY, Major, described in deed in Gregory Record, p. 11, as having a house and bakery in Mountain City, on Main Street, north side, dated Oct 1, 1859.
HADLEY, The Old Hadley Cabin in Mountain City, in 1859 was where “the fascinating Haydee sisters” with Madame Wakeley, gave a series of theatrical exhibitions in this year. (RMN)
HADRE, Rading, on Dec 5, 1859 conveys title to 160 acres land on Platte River, nearly opposite Ft. Lupton, to L. Myers & Company. (Land adjoins claims of Coffin, also Stevens. Hadre is partner of W. E. Glasscock.) (Arapahoe County Land Records)
HAGER, John H., pioneer of Boulder County 1859. Ranchman, miner, prospector, emigrated United States from Bavaria 1853. Born there Mar 21, 1826. Married Mrs. Mary M. Mason, and 2nd Catherine M. Atkinson. Lived in Staten Island, New York, Kendall County, Illinois. Spring ’59 Boulder County, Colorado, Gregory Point, Gilpin County, then ranching on St. Vrain Creek, five miles west of Longmont. Is living 1880, and owns 320 acres there. (History Boulder Valley)
HAGGARD & COMPANY, mining, 1859, Illinois Gulch and Missouri Flats.
HAGUS, Andrew, arrived with George C. Griffin and party, May 1859. Was of Brighton 1907, and member of Colorado Pioneers’ Society or Association.
HAIGHT, Robert L., arrived Jun 15, 1859. Died before 1924. Name from a list of Gilpin County Pioneers’ Society. Member of Society of that County.
HAIN, J. W., his ranche claim filed Dec 10, 1859, described as “on Clear Creek, four miles below the mouth, west side of Platte, the southwest corner at a point in the river about 150 yards east from where the road now runs.” 160 Acres. (Arapahoe County Land Records, 1859)
HAINES, David, of Auraria, grantee of Auraria lots (or Denver (?) in Arapahoe County Land Records, 1859. (See index.)
HALL, ---, of STEVENS & HALL, owned the Rhoderick Dhu mine, ’59. (Also others in Clear Creek and Boulder Counties.)
HALL, Mr., and his accomplished lady are now installed as host and hostess of Pollock’s new hotel. (RMN, May 28, 1859)
HALL, Abner, claim owned by him in McLeod & Company (see plat under this name) on Plum Creek, Oct 1859. Albert Hall owns claim 16 of same group of claims (for saw mill purposes.) (On Divide.) (Arapahoe County Land Records)
HALL, Capt. and C. Wiltze, with engineers and surveyors, leave to make surveys and roads at Fort St. Vrain. (RMN, files, 1859) Again “--- Hall with party are exploring in the mountains.”
HALL, Charles, a pioneer of 1859, arrived with B. J. Stout. (See this.)
HALL, Charles L., arrived Colorado May 1859, locating on ranche on Ralston Creek. In December same year left Denver for California Gulch, where he became prospector and miner. Was born Sherman, New York Nov 2, 1835 and died Denver, Aug 5, 1907. In the Civil War he was a Lieut. in 2nd Colorado Cavalry. Mrs. Minnie (Hall, Perry) Murphy is a daughter of C. L. Hall.
HALL, Corydon P., was prominent in Golden, and member of Breckenridge Town Company in 1859, also sells 10 shares of St. Vrain town to A. D. Richardson in November of same year. He was appointed Judge for St. Vrain County by Gov. Steele of the Provisional Government in same year, and was later Territorial Representative elect (representing 18th District).
HALL, Frank, the well-known historian of Colorado, has always been accused of having arrived no earlier than 1860, and in fact he so states it himself. This I do not doubt, and shall never change my mind about it, but I wish to place him among the Fiftyniners as a sort of Honorary Member of the fraternity.
HALL, George, files claim Feb 17, 1860 for 160 acres ranche land “which he has occupied since last summer,” (1859) when he located it, in Jefferson County on east bank of South Boulder Creek, near a table mountain. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 19, 1859)
HALL & JACOBS, proprietors of Jefferson House. 1859. (Mr. Hall calls for the Vigilence Committee RMN files 1859.)
HALL, James H., (with Charles, which see above) arrived with party of B. J. Stout (this party is mainly from Stout’s P. O., Ohio) In RMN file of ’59 this is mentioned (see under Stout).
In files of 1868 the Golden Transcript mentions death as follows: “Died, Cheyenne, Docatah, Sat. Jan 12, 1868, Judge James Hall, one of the founders of Denver. Formerly Judge of the 6th Judicial District of Minnesota, and at one time prominent candidate for Congress in that State.” The note may refer to James H. Hall above (?)
HALL, Joseph F., arrived Jun 16, 1859 (died before 1924). Member in list Gilpin County Pioneers’ Association, Central City.
HALL, Mrs. L., grantee from Auraria Town Company, Jan 2, 1860, for consideration of $1, lot 6, block 65, in Auraria. (Note: this is the lot after owned by O. B. Shackleton, later by J. K. Mullin and the Mexican Church property still later, corner 9th and Lawrence, West Denver, then known as Cheyenne Avenue corner 6th Street. Later, Lurancy A. Hall, sells this property, lot 6, block 65, (but only the south half) for consideration of $750 to Joseph J. Minter. It is probable that she had built considerable of a house here, as the price indicates value greatly increased. The sale is Feb 17, 1860, only about six weeks afterward.
HALL, L. W., mentioned in RMN files of 1859.
HALLACK & BROTHERS, was established it is said in ’59, a lumber firm having lumberyard corner F. and Arapahoe Streets in 1870. I have not yet found any mention of it in the files of that year.
HALLEMAN, J., was elected in 1859 a Territorial Representative from the 15th District.
HALLOCK (HALLACK?), G. H., was witness, to sale of lots, Auraria in Nov 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records, 1859)
HALLOCK, J., Territorial Representative elected from 5th District in year 1859. (RMN)
HALLOCK, Nelson, a pioneer of Jun 19, 1859. Born Alb. County, New York, Sep 5, 1840. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Association, and the following notes are sketched from Vickers’ History: His parents moved to Winnebago, Illinois, farming, and was age of nineteen on date of arrival at gold diggings, mined in Russell Gulch, in other parts of Gilpin County, and Clear Creek County, until 1863 when he changed mind and left for Montana but in one year was satisfied with that field, returned to Colorado, purchased saw mill, Jefferson County, operated it for four years, and had another mill in Park County and one in Lake County (on site of Leadville), then went into livery and teaming business in Leadville, 1877. Discovered Carbonate Mine by “grubstaking,” later sold this for $175,000 and in 1880 is living in Park County.
HALLY (HALLEY), Mr., with party of prospectors is exploring in the mountains. (RMN, files of ’59)
HALSEY, Peter, arrived in the first wagon of the Lawrence Party, May 1858. Later he was member of an expedition from Kansas to bring provisions to the goldfields. P. Halsey, probably same, was member of the Mammoth Quartz Lead Mining Company, and he also invested in Auraria lots (or accepted them for they were “Donation Lots”) from the Town Company. 1859.
HAMAN, ---, arrived with family from Nevada, Iowa. (Auraria City is place of his selection.)
HAMBLIN & COMPANY, mining, Russell’s Gulch, two men. (RMN, ’59)
HAMILTON, ---, this name is included in those mentioned as at Montana City on Platte, in 1858. HAMILTON & COMPANY with five men were mining, summer of ’59 at Russell’s Gulch.
HAMILTON, A., “of Gregory Diggings,” grantor Pleasant Valley Oct 1, 1859. (Gregory Record, p. 37) “Grantor of mining claim.”
HAMILTON CITY and HAMILTON DIGGINGS, belong to the boom period of 1859, both now gone. The diggings were opened in July, and were half a mile below the city.
HAMILTON, Mr. E., left a very acceptable venison ham at the office of the RMN, Denver, Aug 6, 1859.
HAMILTON, James, member of firm of R. E. Crook & Company of Mountain City has claim recorded on Sterling Lode, Gregory Diggings, 1859. (Gregory Record)
HAMILTON, Rev. Lewis, Presbyterian minister of Indiana, who on Jun 12, 1859 preached in second story of Pollock’s new hotel Auraria (RMN), and later preached in the open air at Central City.
HAMILTON, R. J., a pioneer of Nov 2, 1858. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Association and dates taken from their list. Born Ohio Nov 23, 1834. (Living Denver.)
HAMMELL, U. S., (of Leadville, 1890) dates from Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2, p. 557, arrived Denver Apr 15, 1859. Was born Ohio 1832.
HAMMINGWAY, S. C., mentioned in Arapahoe County Land Records 1859.
HAMMOND, Charles, had claim near Z. A. Stone’s claim, probably located ’59 on South Platte, 2-1/2 miles above Auraria City. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
HAMON, B. P., arrived Apr 11, 1859. Born Pennsylvania Nov 25, 1824. (Dates from a list in Hall’s Colorado History.) Another authority says he was born Berkeley County, Virginia Oct 5, 1824. (Benjamin P. Hamon) Removed to Brown County, Ohio. Was pioneer of California 1849 or 1850 (different authorities). Was also resident of Burl, Iowa before emigrating to California, mining in Colorado on Platte, Idaho Springs, built first good hotel in Central City, was discoverer of the Fanny Lode on Russell Mountain (named thus for his daughter, Mrs. Fanny Johnston). His hotel built in 1860 he called the Hamon House, later it was called the Metropolitan Hotel. He kept it a number of years, mining also in Gregory Diggings. He had married on Jan 7, 1847 Miss Rachel M. Berry. They had three children: James E. of Idaho Springs, Flora, and Fanny, who became Mrs. Johnson, and from whose residence in Denver, 659 South Pennsylvania Street, he was buried at Riverside. He died Sep 24, 1898. In the files of 1860 (RMN) I find the following mention in a bit of correspondence from Central City, Nov 20: “Mr. Berry, brother-in-law of Mr. Hamon of the Hamon House of Central City was buried here and the ceremonies were admirably performed by Mr. Andrew Mason of Chicago. A Masonic Lodge will be founded in this place as soon as a dispensation can be obtained from Kansas, and Mr. Andrew Mason will be Master.”
HAMON, John, also Lucy, probably children and pupils of one of the first schools in Auraria 1859. (Mentioned in Smiley’s History of Denver.)
HAMONS or HAMMONS, John P. of Arapahoe County, grantor, in Nov 1859, farm on Platte River. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
HAMPTON, John, of Lumpkin County, Georgia, member of original Russell party, 1857-8.
HANBURY, Abe, witness at Gregory Diggings, Oct 3, 1859, mining deal. (Gregory Record, p. 48, ’59)
HANCE, Henry W., and company, arrived from Florrissant, Missouri May 16, 1859. (RMN)
HANCOCK, E., was of Spanish Diggings, Jul 1859, when he volunteered to accompany the party who went up Chicago Creek, across the Snowy Range to find and bury the bodies of the murdered Kennedy and Schank. (See further under these names.) His companions from Spanish Diggings were: “Mountain Joe” (J. Higginbotham), Mr. Henderson, --- Triplet, and --- Parks.
HAND, Patrick, miner, working at Tarryall Diggings, summer of ’59.
HANNA, James, formerly of Ohio, was brought to town from the Pineries, 30 miles away for a trial, etc. May 28, 1859. (RMN)
HANSON, Mary I., grantee, Auraria City lots (four) from Auraria Town Company, Dec 28, 1859, filed for record in Arapahoe County Land Records, Mar 8, 1860.
HAPPY CANON, was, and is still up Cherry Creek on Divide in Douglas County. It is near “Wild Cat Point” and other rocky eminences between Denver and Castle Rock. Several settlers came in ’59 and tilled its narrow Valley.
HARBERT, Josiah, (wife Martha J.), is grantee from Philip Peers, Dec 7, ’59, lot 10, block 15, Auraria. Later, in 1860, Jan 24, he sells (or mortgages same) and his wife, Martha J. Harbert joins in signing paper conveying lot 10, block 15, Auraria, “together with the houses situated thereon.” (Arapahoe County Land Records)
HARDESTY, ---, of JONES & HARDESTY, mining firm, discoverers of the “Kentucky Mines,” Gilpin County, 1859. (Bancroft)
HARDY, G., and H. Hardy, arrived Jun 2, 1859 with wagon train of H. C. Reasoner. (two wagons and eight men) by Platte Route. The Hardys were from Page County, Iowa. The companions were from Illinois and from Nebraska, J. A. & J. O. Clark, J. W. Dee, S. H. Bridges, and A. C. Edwards. (See.)
HARDY, Dr. Isaac E., an arrival of ’59, and long a prominent and influential citizen of Golden, was engaged in many benevolent and business enterprises. He was an incorporator of the Minnehaha Town Company & Marble Quarry in November of this year, and at close of November petitions, with others, the Grand Lodge of Kansas Territory A.F. & A.M. for a Masonic Lodge in Golden, which was later granted, and 1860 found him Worshipful Master of same. His advertizement, as Physician and Surgeon is in Western Mountaineer, and from it we learn that his office was on Washington Avenue, at, or over probably, Lovelands’ new brick store. (December) On Jan 4, 1860 he attended upon Mlle Haydee, the actress, to whom Golden had tendered a benefit, and who fell from her horse while riding in the town. Her accident was the subject of much interest, and the papers all commented, for ladies were scarce and appreciated in ’60.
On Feb 22, Dr. Hardy is reported in the Western Mountaineer as having sustained a fall when the scaffolding gave way while he was “working on his house,” and he was precipitated to the ground from a point twenty feet above, but not much injured, only buried up under the debris, from which he was rapidly extricated.
He is said to have been formerly of Alton, Illinois. In the Western Mountaineer of Aug 1860 is noticed the death of Mr. J. W. HARDY of Golden, Aug 8, aged 28 years, formerly of St. Joseph County, Indiana. It may be possible that he is a relative of Dr. Hardy. (?)
HARDY, S. F., is witness in Denver during 1859, to transfer of lots.
HARK, J. C., of Arapahoe Bar (Precinct) is a delegate to the first convention in Oct 1859 to form the Provisional Government.
HARKLERODE, S., delegate from Jackson Precinct to the first Constitutional Convention, Jun 1859.
HARLAN, J. W., was delegate from Jackson Precinct to first Constitutional Convention ’59.
HARLAN, William H., of John H Garnhart & Company doing business in Denver Mar ’59, (first) is “of St. Louis, Missouri” on this date, but gives Power of Attorney to John H. Garnhart to conduct his Denver business. Not sure whether this is a pioneer, or only a non-resident businessman of Denver in 1859. He could have been a resident in early part of year, and returned to States in February. (?)
HARMON, D., mining alone in Nevada Gulch, summer of 1859. (RMN)
HAROLSON, J. H., a pioneer who arrived Jun 27, 1859, lived at Fountain in 1890. (Name from list in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. II, p. 557.) Born Illinois, Aug 5, 1841.
HARPER, Joseph, arrived goldfields Oct 24, 1858 from Plattsmouth with A. H. Barker and D. C. Oakes, meeting the Russell Party returning east. In the Arapahoe County Land Records, for 1859, the name of Joseph R. Harper is given, dated Dec 7, and he is “of Arapahoe County” and joins with James B. Percy in transaction involving lot 12 in block 9, Auraria City. Joseph Harper and Joseph R. Harper are not necessarily the same, but most likely are so, as it was quite common for recorders to leave out an initial.
HARRINGTON, Captain, was leader of the wagon train, which arrived at near the mouth of Cherry Creek with the Kansas Company, Nov 2, 1858, consisting of 57 men and 1 woman, and proceeded to build Montana City. (Another account states that he came as Captain in Plattsmouth Nebraska Company.)
HARRINGTON, Jacob, “of Auraria,” grantor of lot 10, block 9, Auraria, “on which there is a log cabin.” It is described as being on Ferry Street dated Sep 7, 1859.
HARRINGTON, Mr. S. E., his letter from the goldfield, speaking of fifty-dollar nuggets reported in the Omaha Nebraskan, and quoted May 7, 1859 in the RMN. The letter is dated before the advent of the RMN or on Feb 9 of that year, this would give it time to reach Omaha, get printed in the paper, and return to Denver in published form, so as to be quoted in the RMN of May 7.
HARRIS, ---, of firm of Price & Harris, merchants and outfitters, Golden City 1859. (Western Mountaineer file)
HARRIS, C. R., one of incorporators of Arapahoe Ditch Company Dec 1859 (a plan to bring water from near Golden to Ralston Creek District).
HARRIS, E., resident of Mountain City 1859.
HARRIS, E. R., witness, Golden City, Oct 3, 1859, to deed from W. P. Degoe to Henry O. Kane. (Jefferson County Land Records)
He is delegate from Arapahoe Bar to the Convention in Denver, 1859, mentioned in RMN during late summer. Also, an express package is advertisized for him, so there is no doubt of his having arrived in this year.
HARRIS, G., shareholder in Golden City Association 1859, name in list in their record book.
HARRIS, J., erected a 16 x 24 frame store in Golden in 1859, mentioned in Western Mountaineer.
HARRIS, J. G., was a resident of Mountain City, Gregory Diggings, Jun 1859, for was a delegate from that place to first Constitutional Convention.
HARRIS, Lewis, witness to deed from Golden City Town Company Oct 21, 1859. (Jefferson County Land Records)
HARRIS, Obadiah, was of Arapahoe County Jan 17, 1860, and may be an arrival of 1859, for many of those who were on the ground in the first month of ’60 had been on way, or at least started westward in the previous year.
HARRIS, Richard P., was member of jury to try case at Chicago Creek Bar in Jan 1860, and there is a probability that he was a Fiftyniner.
HARRISON, Mr., “went lately on an exploring tour to The Blue.” (RMN, summer, 1859.)
HARRISON & COMPANY, five men, mining, Nevada Gulch, 1859. (RMN)
HARRISON, (Charley), a southerner of birth, killed Stark, a Mexican Negro Jul 12, 1859, for which he was acquitted, as it was thought to be proved done in self defense. He was however one of the “dangerous characters” of the goldfields. (Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 236)
HARRISON, G. W., (from Virginia), candidate for Justice of the Peace, fights duel in the new Colorado Diggings.
HARRISON, M. E., (of Indiana), arrived with six other men in Wagon 5 of E. Doty’s Lightning Express Train of 10 wagons, Apr 22, 1859. In company with him came D. Boyd (of New York), J. F. Makepiece and W. B. Armstrong of Michigan, C. Wallace of Indiana, J. Smith and H. F. Rodman of Connecticut.
HARRISON & RANDALL, mining, summer of ’59 in Illinois Gulch and Missouri Flats. (Mentioned in RMN.)
HARRY’S PASS was on Denver City & Mountain City Wagon Road, about four miles north of Golden City. It was a thorofare in ’59.
HARSH BROTHERS, owned mine in Clear Creek and Boulder Counties 1859. The notes relative to Harsh are from History, Boulder Valley and Clear Creek County, biographical part.
HARSH, Dr. Levi, arrived spring of 1859 in Denver, engaging in practice of medicine and mining in various camps, was discoverer of the Leavenworth and the Harsh Lodes, Gilpin County. Was somewhat in politics, for was in Territorial Legislature (speaker) 1864 and again a member in 1873, and 1880 director and superintendent of the Wyandotte Consolidated Gold and Silver Mining Company. He was born Washington County, Pennsylvania, May 24, 1826, removed in boyhood to Carroll County, Ohio (farm), later Hagerstown, Ohio. Afterward studied in Steubenville, Ohio, and in Cleveland Medical College. Lived Florence, Nebraska, where he had a drug store.
HARSHAUK & WILSON, mining firm, eight men, Russell’s Gulch, 1859.
HART & COMPANY, seven men, mining, Russell’s Gulch, 1859. Mentioned in RMN.
HART, John, pioneer of Gilpin County Association, name in their list, arrived goldfields Jun 10, 1859. Died sometime before 1923.
HARTFORD & FAILS, firm, mining, four men, Russell’s Gulch, 1859.
HARTLEY, William, came in 11th wagon of the Lawrence Party 1858. Was a member of the Montana Town Company, also a stockholder of St. Charles City, same year, and is said to have surveyed the last named place, associated with Cobb. He was, later in Oct 1, 1859, an owner of “selected lots” in Denver City, block 49.
HARVEY, B. S., was delegate to the first Constitutional Convention from Dickerson. The last was a precinct of 1859.
HARVEY & COMPANY, three men, mining, Pleasant Valley, summer of 1859.
HARVEY, Henry, of Auraria, advertizes in RMN (file, ’59) for lost notes. No mention later of his finding same.
HARVEY & WRIGHT, in Dec ’59 were proprietors of the Jefferson House, Golden City, situated on Washington Avenue.
HASTINGS, George E., an arrival of 1858, elder brother of Col. S. H. Hastings, came with his two brothers and an organized party of 50 persons, by the Smoky Hill Route, and had hotel in Denver in very early day. In 1880 lived near Dallerville, Colorado.
HASTINGS, Col. S. Huron, an arrival of 1858 with his brother George E. and large party. Made his home in Denver where he lived some time after his marriage in Michigan to Miss Celia Witter. He was in Civil War, and a long account of his interesting life and military career is in Vickers’ History of Denver, 1880. He was born in Michigan 1843.
HASTINGS, Vernon L., came Colorado 1858 with his two brothers, George E, and Col. S. H Hastings. (For his life see Vickers, mentioned above)
HATCH, ---, among those who had “Donation Lots” (with agreement to build hewed log cabin) in 1859, Denver City. (Stanley Hatch?)
HATFIELD, G. W., meat market with Huffer. (Mss. Directory, 1859)
HATFIELD, J. W., member Society Colorado Pioneers, lived Denver 1920, was listed as an arrival of 1859 (April). Born Illinois 1854.
HATTEMAN, J., a delegate from Arapahoe Precinct, Denver, 1859, mentioned in RMN. (This was the Convention to form Provisional Government in October of this year, after the failure of the first constitution.)
HAUERSTEIN, W. J. (Hanenstein ? ), a native of Prussia, arrived Denver Jul 19, 1859. Died on his ranche on North Beaver Creek, Gilpin County, Nov 9, 1888. He was buried from the Black Hawk Lodge rooms, (Masonic ?) and interred in Masonic Cemetery, Central City. There is another record, which states that he arrived in 1860, but probably the first mentioned date is right. He is in list of members of Gilpin County Pioneers’ Association, and as this Society is now extinct (1925), only two or three members living, their record book is placed with Colorado Historical Society in Denver.
HAWKETT, W. T., member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, arrived Jun 19, 1859. Lived Denver a good deal of his life after arrival. Born New Zealand, Nov 12, 1841.
HAWKHURST, George, (sometimes spelled Hawxhurst), was grantee from Hiram J. and Ellen D. Graham, lots 5-6, block 42, Auraria City, date Oct 8, 1859. (The Grahams excepted from the sale eight logs, forty feet long.) Later, in November, same year, Hawkhurst was grantee from Auraria Town Company, consideration $1, lot 11, block 65, Auraria (Nov 19). The last named purchase was facing what is now the “Eagle Mills” on Eighth Street, second lot from corner of Curtis Street. It was then known as Arapahoe Avenue, and Curtis was then Seventh Street.
HAWKINS, ---, of firm of Morgan & Hawkins, mining, Russell’s Gulch, summer of 1859, and names in list in RMN.
HAWKINS, Mr., accompanied William Graham to Denver, arriving Christmas 1859, and had reputation as gunsmith of ability, and could make a whole gun or rifle in all its parts.
HAWKINS, H. Y., this name turns up, among my papers, with no date except ’59, and the fact that he comes form Georgia. (?)
HAWKINS, Samuel, gunsmith, Ferry Street, Auraria City, Mss. Directory 1859. In the RMN of this year he is referred to as S. Hawken. Was grantee of Auraria lots, Dec 5, 1859, according to Record in Arapahoe County Land Office.
HAWKINS, Y. C., arrived by Arkansas Route, (from Georgia) in party of Capt. J. B. Graham, May 15, 1859. All of the party from Georgia. Others in party were John Satterfield, J. M. Brice, and Thomas J. Brice, comprising a part of “Russell Company.” (See under J. B. Graham.)
HAWLEY, ---, of Hawley & Company, mining, Russell’s Gulch, eight men, summer 1859. (Record of mining activities in RMN files.)
HAWLEY, David, claim No. 29, in McLeod & Company tracts (see) preempted Oct 1859, on Plum Creek, Douglas County. (Recorded Arapahoe County Land Records)
HAWLEY, H. J., was resident of Golden Gate City Jun 1859, for was a delegate from that place to the first Constitutional Convention, and later was delegate elect from same place to the convention to form a Provisional Government (August). In Jan 1860 he was surveyor of McWhist’s claim, (record in Golden) and in same month was appointed Associate Judge, same place. Jan 11, 1860 he files for record, in Golden, his claim to “ a parcel of land lying between Golden City and Golden Gate, containing, not exceeding 160 acres, and says that I have laid a foundation for a house on said piece of land, with the intention of building on the same said claim which is for farming purposes.” Surveyed by H. J. Hawley, surveyor.
The following plat accompanied the record of the claim:
To Golden Gate
Station No. 1
Filed for record, Golden City, Jan 14, 1860
HAY, Edward, an Argonaut of 1858, who had four Donation Lots in Denver Town Company, in this year, Dec 4 (with agreement to build).
In Larimer’s Reminiscences, p. 150, he says that “Edward Hay of Desoto, Nebraska, died while hunting in the mountains, at his camp, and his body was the first burial in the new Mount Prospect Cemetery, Denver City.”
Edward Hay’s Administration notice appears in RMN dated Aug 13, 1859, and later, Sep 9, the property of this pioneer, “late of the county of Arapahoe, Territory of Kansas” deceased, is sold by his administrator. Duncan McLachlan, to Henry Murat, (lot 25, block 62) and Peter Marcellus of Washington County, Nebraska lots 5-6, block 70 in Denver City (“subject to transfer”). Deeds recorded in Arapahoe County Land Records, 1859.
HAY, Thomas, arrived Denver City May 14, 1859 from Elkhart, Indiana, 39 days from St. Louis. (RMN)
HAYDEE, Mlle, three sisters, Mlle Louise, Mlle Flora, and another called “La Petite,” also their mother (though the papers do not say that the matron was an actress) were in 1859 very much admired in Thorne’s Star Cast at the Apollo Theatre in Denver City, and also being in Mountain City, and in Jan ’60 in Golden where Mlle Haydee and sisters were given a benefit ball at the Jefferson House on evening of the fourth of that month, over 50 couples present from Denver, Auraria, and other places, while “the lovely Mlle Louise, and La Petite won the esteem of all the ladies present.” (See under Dr. I. E. Hardy for another little incident of this visit to Golden.)
In Aug 1860 the RMN announces that “Mlle Haydee and her mother arrived from the mountains.”
HAYDON (HAYDEN), Daniel Justin, pioneer 1859, born near Cincinnati, Ohio on Reading Pike Road, Hamilton County 1835.
HAYDON, S. S., was a witness to transfer of lots in Auraria City, Maria B. Grier being the grantee, Dec 9, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
HAYES, Ame (Arne ?), of the Georgia Company died in the hills. (Note of 1859 file of RMN, date missing from copy.)
HAYWOOD & RYAN, an 1859 firm of Auraria or Denver.
HAZZARD, George W., arrived May 5, 1859, in party with George C. Griffin. (See.) Lived at Hughes’ Station (now Brighton) in 1907, was member Colorado Pioneers’ Association. Was born Elk Grove, Wisconsin Dec 7, 1837. Mined in Gregory Diggings and Missouri Flats, then farming 16 miles below Denver. The following notice appears in files of 1863: “George W. Hazzard married Miss Mary M. Blundell, Jul 28, 1863, at residence of William Blundell near Henderson’s Island.”
HAZZARD, (The Hazzard Company), was a firm later than ’59 which may be connected with George W. Hazzard, above (?).
HEAD, Lafayette, Major, was Vice President of the first Colorado Pioneers’ Association of Jun 22, 1866 when it was confined exclusively to arrivals of ’58 and ’59. He came to this country Nov 24, 1854, was born Missouri Apr 19, 1825 (Hall’s list) and lived in Conejos. The following is from the biographical notes of members of the Constitutional Convention of 1876: “Col. Lafayette Head from the 22nd District was U. S. Land Agent, 1859, in Conejos County, then unsettled, and Indian Agent for the Southern Utes, 1859 to 1868, with headquarters at Conejos where he has lived 20 years. He is well versed in Spanish.” (This note was in a special leaf, included in one of the Denver dailies, at the time of the Convention, and I have not seen it in any file of that year.)
A portrait of Col. Lafayette Head is in Smiley’s History of Denver, p. 418 (Group).
Mentions and sketches of this unusual and romantic career are to be found in many histories.
HEAD, W. R., arrived Nov 15, 1858. Lived Denver in 1907, and was member of Colorado Pioneers’ Association.
HEATHER & COMPANY, mining, summer of ’59, in Pleasant Valley, five men.
HECKLER, H., was member or stockholder in Mountain City Town Company, 1859. Was a partner of H. Humbel, baking shop, on St. Louis Street, Auraria. (Mss. Directory, 1859) Humbel was parent of Auraria Humbel born in 1859 in that city, and to whom the Town Company presented a gift of Lots.
HECKMAN, M. C., of Auraria, was delegate to Convention Oct 1859 to take steps to form a Provision Government. (After failure of the first Constitution.)
HEFFNER & COMPANY, firm located in the brick building adjoining Ming & Warren’s large brick block on Ferry Street, Auraria, mentioned in RMN files of same year.
HEFFNER, J. L., was a witness, Apr 20, 1859, to lot sale, Auraria. Heffner, McClain & Cooper, mining, Russell’s Gulch, also same firm working with four men at Gregory’s Diggings, sluicing on the Clay County Lode, averaging 100 dollars a day for 10 weeks. (RMN, file ’59) Heifmer (?) & McClain, their claims mentioned on Gregory Record, p. 39, Sep 14, same year.
HEIATT, Benjamin, was mentioned in newspapers of ’59 and was a Justice of the Peace and held several offices, lived Arapahoe County while Justice of the Peace and was elected Justice of the Peace in Jefferson County in March of this year. (Name spelled also Hieatt.)
HEIBLEN, H., witness in sale of farm claim, Dec 1859, at Auraria Land Record office.
HEIFMAN, ---, received Donation Lots with agreements to build from Auraria Town Company in Apr 1859.
HEISMER, Jesse, had Donation Lot from Auraria Town Company Apr 1859.
HEMINGWAY, S. O., stockholder of Denver City Town Company, 1859. In list of these stockholders written in Whitsitt’s Deed Book A, of this year.
HEMPHILL, H., was a witness in 1859, Sep 16, Auraria, and on Oct 15 of same year. Henry Hemphill was grantor of timber claim of 160 acres of land situated in Weeks Precinct, Arapahoe County “Now occupied by the grantee William Walsh.” Consideration $125. Land surveyed by Mr. Moody. (Araphoe County Land Records, Liber D, p. 86, old)
HEMPHILL, H. S., (may be same) is spoken of in papers of ’59 as having ranche on Plum Creek. In Denver, the firm of Kasserman and Luttrell, carpenters and cabinet makers, had Mr. Hemphill for a partner, but not sure to be same man as one above. Their shop was in log building on southwest corner of Lawrence and 10th Streets, or as it was then called Sixth and St. Louis. (Auraria) They were still going on in 1860, but not certain Mr. Hemphill was with them.
HENDERLIN, Michael, mentioned in RMN spring 1859 as having fallen dead on route to Denver.
HENDERSON, ---, (of firm of Sopris, Henderson & Company), mining, in Gregory’s Gulch, 1859. (Said to be from Farmington, Indiana.)
HENDERSON, ---, was of Spanish Diggings, Jul 1859 when the party was gathered together to make search for the bodies of the murdered Kennedy and Schank, over the range. He accompanied “Mountain Joe” and others in this hard undertaking. (See Kennedy.)
HENDERSON, Capt., (of Costilla County in 1866) was a member and one of the 16 Vice Presidents of the first organization of Fiftyeighters and Fiftyniners, which was founded in Denver, same year.
HENDERSON, Edward W., arrived Auraria City Apr 26, 1859. Died Jan 26, 1891, age 72, in Weeping Water, Nebraska. Born Austenburg, Ashtabula County, Ohio Nov 29, 1818. Married in Denmark, Iowa, Sarah, daughter of John Houston (Deacon) of Lyndeboro, New Hampshire. Henderson was a Presbyterian in religion, and Republican in politics. He was reared on farm, left Ohio 1844 for Lee County, Iowa. Schoolteacher there, then moved Cass County where he was merchant and from that point came to the Pike’s Peak region, mining all his life afterward in Central as well as in other nearby camps. He bought on May 29, 1859 the wonderful claims of John H. Gregory in Gregory Gulch, paying for them from the mines themselves $21,000. (This from the RMN, Jun 11, 1859.) Amos Gridley was associated with him in this enterprise. He made, in addition, that summer, $18,000 more, built quartz mill at Eureka, and was taking out $6,000 per week from his Gregory mines later. Frank Hall says Henderson made $100,000 in a few years, but lost it all. (History of Colorado, Vol. 3, p. 411) He was a Gold King in Central City from ’59 until several years later, and it is said that his partner lost most of his wealth in Wall Street, New York. He was a member of Gilpin County Pioneers’ Association, from whose record book the above dates of his birth and death are copied.
HENDERSON, George, was summer of ‘59 Secretary of the Rocky Mountain Debating Club. (Auraria or Denver) May be same below (?).
HENDERSON, Capt. G. W., of Cincinnati, Ohio, arrived in Denver with his train of wagons, a small party included May 16, 1859. (RMN)
HENDERSON, George L., born 1836. In 1859 arrived Colorado, lived in Central City, mining, and in Leadville was first Postmaster and it is said named the camp. (Bancroft, History of Colorado, Vol. 25, p. 386)
HENDERSON, John, is mentioned in RMN spring ’59 as of Auraria.
HENDERSON, John D., is grantee, with --- Brierly, Apr 7, 1859 of the Sanders Ranche, 15 miles from Auraria. (Liber F, p. 631) This may be same as John, above. (?) He probably arrived some little time prior to purchasing so important a thing as the ranche, for his name occurs as a miner in the mountains. The RMN of Apr 23 announces the arrival from the Jefferson Mines, 55 miles west from Cherry Creek, near Boulder City and Long’s Peak, in company with O. B. Totten, of J. D. Henderson, but this is a second coming or coming back. About this time a sum of $100 was raised to enable Col. Jack Henderson and others of Denver and Auraria to spy out new road to the States through the pineries of the Divide. (RMN circa Apr 23)
In Sep (13) same year, a certificate of his Denver lots is filed for record in Liber A, p. 187, old.
The Henderson Island Hotel was opened Dec 1859 by John D. Henderson, and announcement of the exciting event stated that it was 12 miles down Platte River, below Denver, was a stock and boarding ranche (for horses and cattle) with accommodations for wagon trains, etc. It was on land called Henderson’s Island, had 320 acres at first, and was so extensively advertized that it soon became known all over the goldfields. In Aug 1860 Henderson is grantor of 260 acres of land “lying opposite to Henderson’s Island (on Platte)” on which he has erected a dwelling house of the value of $200, and which he sells to Henry O. Goldrick for consideration of $1,000. (Liber F, pp. 631-632)
Henderson’s wife was Amelia M. Henderson, for she signs with him, a conveyance Oct 18, 1859, and later, both being “of Henderson’s Island” Jan 9, 1860, signs deed to the Ranche and stock (220 acres) and later still, in Apr 1860 signs with him a deed granting lot 4, block 75, Auraria City.
“Jack Henderson” (probably J. D. above ?) had, it is said in one of the histories, published a pro-slavery party paper in Leavenworth, although born in Pennsylvania. He had been an Argonaut of 1849 to California.
HENDERSON, J. T., arrived Denver May 17, 1859. Lived Denver 1890. Was born in England 1836. (Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society.) This is another Henderson, apparently, not related to the two just above (E. W. and J. D.)
HENDERSON & LEPER, mention of the fact of their leaving for Lewis, Cass County, Iowa is in RMN during ’59. (Probably Edward W.)
HENDRICKS, D., blacksmith, Front Street, Auraria. (Directory of Denver and Auraria 1859)
HENDRICKSON, J. G., was a shareholder in Golden City Association 1859. (Note from Shareholders’ Record Book, p. 52.)
HENRY & HARDY, partners in Oct 1859 in transaction in Denver lots.
HENRY, William H., transaction in Denver lots, Oct 1859.
HENSHALL, J., in 1859 certificate was issued to him for Denver lots. James Henshall was a member of Colorado Pioneers’ Association and resident of Denver in 1890, and in Hall’s Colorado History, List of Pioneers, Vol. II, p. 557, he is credited with having arrived Jun 20, 1859, and his date of birth Feb 18, 1835 in Maryland.
HERALD & COMMONWEALTH office, Auraria, corner Cherry and 5th (now Twelfth and Larimer), earliest Methodist meetings held in this building. (1859)
HERBLER, H., witness, Nov 28, 1859 to transfer of lots in Auraria. (Heibler ?)
HERMAN, Louis, certificate issued to him by William Larimer, Jr., Secretary of Denver Town Company, on Apr 5, 1859, that said Herman is owner of two lots in Denver, on Lawrence Street, “having complied with the requirements of the Company by building a hewed log house, said lot situated between B. and C. Streets, with no number of either lot or block, in the absence of the printed plat, which is expected daily from Leavenworth City, together with printed certificate.” On the back the certificate is signed over to St. James & St. Vrain, same date. (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber F, p. 536) Later, same date another deed is made by him, together with Stephen Butts, (or Stephens & Butts ?) granting two Draw lots donated by Denver Town Company. Louis Herman arrived Denver Dec 18,1858. Was born in Kansas Aug 16, 1830. (Hall’s ColoradoHistory, Vol. II, p. 557)
HERMITAGE, a place of refreshment 1859 in Auraria or Denver.
HERRING, Theodore, pioneer of 1858, member Russell party, which he joined in Kansas, was original stockholder in City of Auraria.
HERRON & COMPANY, mining, summer ’59, Pleasant Valley, with five men.
HERTEL, G. W., living 1859 in South Park.
HESS, Capt. A., in command of “The Pioneer Train” which arrived May 5, 1859 from Leavenworth, having started Mar 3. 63 days enroute by Smoky Hill trail. Traveled 12 days without wood and no road most of way and 150 miles without water, 32 men in party. (RMN)
HESS, Henry, may not be an arrival of ’59, but had Donation Lots awarded to him in Golden, in consideration of building a “good, substantial house” signed by David Wall in Feb 1860. This, considering the length of time the house would take to build, would indicate that he was at least “on the way” in ’59, if not arrived.
HESTON, J. & COMPANY, arrived from Cass County, Michigan May 16, 1859, 14 men. (Heaton)
HEYWOOD, J., is a witness to transfer of deed, land office (?), Arapahoe County, May 12, 1859. On Nov 7, same year, Joseph Heywood and wife Eliza Heywood, “Now residing in city of Cincinnati, Ohio, appoint Elkanah Hensley of Leavenworth City, Kansas, our attorney, to sell our lots, etc. Denver.”
HICKEY, John, of Arapahoe County, grantor of ranche claim, 160 acres, situated about 6-1/2 miles from Denver on south site of Platte River. Land includes the building thereon, dated Oct 1, 1859.
HICKINS, H., arrived May 22, 1859 from Kansas Territory in Wagon 1 of E. Doty’s Lightning Express Train of 10 wagons. (RMN)
HICKMAN & brother, have large building on Ferry Street, Auraria, upper floor possible for theatre.
HICKMAN, M. D., was of Auraria 1859, and was a Territorial Representative Elect from 2nd District in first Provisional Legislature and later, in December was in insurance and banking company.
HICKMAN, N. C., miner, of Arkansas Valley 1859.
HICKMAN, T. J., on Jan 30, 1860 is witness in sale of lots, Auraria. Is probably an arrival of ’59 or enroute in that year.
HICKOK, James B., “Wild Bill,” famous scout, and Indian fighter of Colorado before and after 1859, and later stage driver for the Overland Stage Company. Born La Salle, Illinois near Troy Grove Village, May 27, 1837. (For an account of his life, see The Trail, Apr 1903.)
HICKRY, John, of Denver City, Aug 22 grantee to Denver lots 5-6, block 67, Denver, consideration $200. 1859.
HICKY, Joseph, of Denver, grantee of Denver lots, Aug 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
HIFFNER, John L., in Mar 1859 was elected County Treasurer of Arapahoe County, Kansas, the gold diggings around Denver being then so called, as the whole field was a part of Kansas Territory. He is mentioned in the RMN as being of Auraria. He was witness here in Sep 3, same year, to deed in sale of Auraria lots and according to the Mss. Directory of Business of this year, had store on Cherry Creek. In the paper, Hiffner & Reed (J. L. Hiffner and R. J. Reed) advertize a fine stock of brandy and whiskey. On Oct 4, same year, John L. Hiffner is grantor to Samuel McClelland, lot 5, block 9, Auraria and again on Nov 19, same year, he sells to Ellen Ross lot 7, block 90 also in Auraria. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
HIGGINBOTHAM, C. U., (C. A.?), mining, in mountains, summer of ’59, four men. (RMN)
HIGGINBOTHAM, Joseph, miner and prospector, known familiarly as “Buckskin Joe” also as “Mountain Joe,” discoverer of the Buckskin Jo Mining District eight miles northwest of Fairplay, Aug 1859. The town was settled here the following year. He with a party of six miners crossed the Mosquito Range in Sep 1859 and made the find. In Jul 1859, before this discovery, he was a member of the party which crossed the Snowy Range to find and bring back the bodies of the murdered Kennedy and Schank. (See these.) At this time he was described as J. Higginbotham, otherwise known as “Mountain Joe” of Spanish Diggings.
HIGH, Henry, arrived May 16, 1859 in party of Capt. Sylvanus Doll from Ohio.
HIGHLAND TOWN SITE COMPANY organized 1859. This precinct had one delegate to the first Constitutional Convention in June this year. It was opposite Auraria, north of Platte River. The company presented bunch of lots as compliment to Albert D. Richardson Nov 9, same year.
HIGHTOWER, George W., was a gunsmith on Cherry Street, Auraria in 1859. (Mss Directory of Business Firms, etc. On Dec 3 he was grantee from Auraria Town Company of four Donation Lots in Auraria City, one of which is lot 5, block 139, consideration $1. (Liber E, p. 166, old)
HIGLEY (HIGBY ?), Jonas C., has transaction in Denver lots 1859.
HIGLEY (HIGBY ?), S. W., of Denver City, Aug 2, 1859 conveys lots 11-12, block 41, Denver, to J. J. Reithmann, consideration $80. (John Mulkin associated with Reithmann in deal.)
HILFRIES, J. L., witness to signature of Auraria lots, Oct 8, 1859.
HILKER (HILKES ?), William, farm claim, 80 acres, situated on Clear Creek “Above the California Road which crosses there, and adjacent claims” of Daniel Ross and Michael Nooney, filed (or located ?) Sep 28, 1859. (Liber D, p. 172, old) On Jan 28, 1860, there is a claim of William Hilker (or Hilkes ?) recorded in Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 11, this being on Ralston Creek.
HILL, ---, was delegate from Bay State Precinct to the first Constitutional Convention Jun 1859. (Bay State had two delegates to this body of lawmakers.)
HILL & COMPANY, mining, summer of ’59, five men, Russell’s Gulch.
“HILL DIFFICULTY,” a place near Mountain City, mentioned in papers of 1859.
HILL, George N., signs relinquishment of lot 12, block 35, Auraria, in sale of effects of estate of P. T. Bassett of Auraria, deceased. This is in Jul 1859.
HILL, James T., in November and earlier yet in Oct 1859 is witness in Auraria land or lot transaction.
HILL, W., carpenter, on Curtis Street, Denver 1859. (Business Directory 1859)
HILLIARD, William, had Donation Lot with agreement to build, in Auraria, 1859, and again Oct 4 it is recorded that he is entitled to lots 9-10, block 40, this being acquired in Aug 23 of same year. Again, Nov 19 he acquires (sells ?) some more lots. In this transaction he is mentioned as “of Arapahoe County.”
HILLIARD, William H., (may be same as William above ?) of Auraria, is grantor of lot 11, block 31, City of Auraria, Sep 28, 1859, and the Auraria Town Company on Nov 30, same year, donates to him four lots in blocks 6-87-218-346. (Arapahoe County Land Records, old) (The name in last transaction is spelled Hilyard.).
HILLS, (firm of Patton, Hills & Company), mining, Russell’s 1859.
HILLS, Hiram, his farm claim is mentioned in record dated Jan 10, 1860, so he is evidently a Fiftyniner. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 21)
HILLY, F. F., witness, Denver, Dec 21, 1859, deed to lots.
HIMER, named in history as an assistant in building one of first houses in City of Auraria, Oct 25, 1858.
HINER, William, was from Aurora, or Auraria, Indiana, and arrived with the Lone Star Company May 22, 1859, by Smoky Hill Route, 39 days from Fort Riley, 26 men in party. (RMN)
HINMAN, was from Wisconsin, it is said, and joined Lawrence party at Lawrence, Kansas, arrived in 6th wagon, and was elected President of Montana Town Company Sep 7, 1858. (Smiley’s History of Colorado, Vol. 1, p. 223) Montana City was on east side of South Platte River, bounded now, on north by West Evans Avenue, on east by South Tremont Street, on south by West Iliff Avenue, and on west by bed of river. Hinman is said to have participated in War of Rebellion, fought with Thomas in Tennessee, then lived in Chicago, and later owned a copper mine in Bingham Canon, Utah. He died 1883, age 47.
HITCHINS, H., was grantee of City of Denver lots Dec 26, 1859.
HIVELEY, Andrew, was member of Colorado Pioneers’ Society in 1866 when it included only those who arrived 1858-9. This Society met in Denver Jun 22 this year (1866) and his name is included in list.
HOAG, David D., was an original stockholder of City of Auraria, 1858, and death occurred Jun 11, 1859 from an overdose of calomel, or as the RMN says, in number of Jun 18, “late of Story County, Iowa, aged 26 years. His death was caused by an excessive portion of calomel, administered by himself for slight indisposition in the mountains.”
Later his administration notice appears in the paper, he is of Arapahoe County and A. Sagendorff is administrator. The name appears as Hoage. In this advertizement, and later Sagendorff sells his Auraria lots, or lot 8, block 8, on Ferry Street, dated Jul 11, 1859, to A. C. Hunt and John Clark. (His name also given as Daniel A. Hoage ?)
HOBBS, Leroy, Argonaut of 1858, had on Dec 4 this year, four lots Denver City, with agreement to build, these were known as the Donation Lots.
HOBSON, William, this pioneer died at Blackhawk Point, May 30, 1863, and is mentioned in the Tri-Weekly Mining Register as having “suffered five years” so that it is possible he may have arrived among the earliest ones in the country. His age was given as 49 and 4 months. Left wife and two sons, and was a very good, and highly esteemed man. He died of Rheumatism. (This complaint is very prevalent among the miners, and the note is included here to show that he may have been one who contracted it in the mining regions. ?)
HODGSON, Jonathan, his claim for ranching purposes, situated on Bear Creek, Jefferson County, located Jun 24, 1859, commencing at Woodcock’s northwest corner, east to Griffith’s, (northwest corner), etc. Filed for record Golden, Feb 14, 1860. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 20)
HODGSON, Joseph, emigrated Colorado 1859 from California where he had been a pioneer of 1852. Born Essex County, New York Mar 11, 1835, his father a dresser of iron ore. He learned trade of nail cutter in 1850. Was a stock raiser, dealing in mules particularly, and in 1880 is owner of valuable mining property in district near Leadville on Mosquito Range. (Clipping)
In Hall’s list of pioneers is similar name which may be same, William Hodyson, but the year of birth is given as 1831, same date otherwise. His arrival is dated Jun 19.
He arrived with his brother William. (See following.)
HODGSON (HODYSON ?), William, brother of Joseph, above. Born New York Mar 26, 1838. Was a dealer in stock, horses and mules. The two brothers located ranche Jun 24, 1859 (this was only five days after their arrival as given by Hall) 250 and ¾ acres on Bear Creek. (Land Records, Liber A, p. 20 (?),Golden)
HODSON, (firm of Cosgrove & Hodson), mining summer of 1859 in Russell’s Gulch.
HOLBROOK, ---, was Territorial Representative elect, from 5th District, 1859.
HOLBROOK, James A., was President Gold Hill Tunnell Company, Nevada Diggings, 1859.
HOLCOMB, A. O., of Auraria, grantee, Sep 27, 1859, 75 ft. including lot 11, block 34, Auraria on St. Louis Street, from M. L. McCaslin. (Arapahoe County Land Records) In Directory of this year he is shown as having saloon on Ferry Street. Also had a farm or ranche claim recorded Dec 12, same year, being on Cherry Creek adjacent the claims of Shears and Barnard.
HOLDEN, D. M., in list of pioneers of Colorado (Hall’s Colorado History, Volume II) said to be of Colorado Springs (1890), arrived Jul 15, 1859, and born New York Aug 10, 1833. Dean Holden is said to have been an early settler on the Divide and may be relative (?) or same man (?)
HOLLEDAY, D., was in ’59 member of a ditch, or water company of Denver.
HOLLOWAY, J. N., grantee of lots and house from W. F. Rowlands, Apr 30, 1859, Denver.
HOLMAN, Mr., the original discoverer of the Tarryall Diggings. This was a very rich piece of ground near Hamilton, about two miles above that camp. In ’59 it was much worked.
HOLMAN (HOLTMAN ?), J., candidate 1859 for Clerk of Jefferson County under the Provisional Government.
HOLMAN, J. W., “leaves for Nobleville, Indiana.” (RMN, file, 1859)
HOLMAN, W. J., miner and discoverer of gold on branch of South Platte in South Park summer of ’59. Also miner at Tarryall. (Could this be same as J. W. Holman ?)
HOLMES, C. D., member first Constitutional Convention Jun ’59, a delegate from Missouri Gulch precinct. (Missouri Gulch had but one delegate.)
HOLMES, C. M., is grantee, from Auraria Town Company, Sep 3, 1859, lot 5, block 76, Auraria City. This he, in Mar 1860, deeds to D. C. Oakes.
HOLMES, Charles, (husband of Julia Archibald Holmes, below), accompanied by Albert Archibald and others, in 10th wagon of the Lawrence Party, climbed Pike’s Peak, in trip to Denver. This family left party and returned to New Mexico, but later, in Sep ’59 are thought to have returned to Denver for a second visit.
HOLMES, Charles, was a settler in ’59, it is said in Happy Canon on Divide. Mentioned in list of old Douglas County Pioneers.
HOLMES, J. H., member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. Living Denver 1890, etc. Arrived Jul 1859. Born New York 1832. (Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. II, p. 557) In RMN, p. 2, Dec 8, 1859, J. H. Holmes, miner in Gregory District is criticized..
HOLMES, Mrs. Julia Archibald, member of Lawrence Party 1858, said to have been the first woman to climb Pike’s Peak, as she made the effort and succeeded in three days in reaching summit, on trip to Denver via Arkansas Route. Her companions also made trip, stopping for the purpose as they came past the Peak. Several but not all of them made the summit it is said. (?) They later arrived in Auraria.
HOOPER, Joseph, arrived Oct 24, 1858 with Plattsmouth Nebraska Company.
HOOPER, W. W., was elected county auditor Mar 1859, of Arapahoe County, Kansas, as the goldfields were then called. (Note of this is in RMN.) He is later mentioned as living in Auraria City.
HOOVER, Mr. and Mrs., were mentioned in RMN file of 1859, so it is evident that at least one of these pioneers was accompanied by his wife. They were situated either in Denver or Auraria City.
HOOVER, C. J., arrived Oct 26, 1859. Lived Denver 1907, dates from list of Pioneers in booklet of the Denver Society of the last date. He also appears as a member in list published 1920, still living in Denver.
HOOVER, D., arrived by Plattsmouth Nebraska Company (train Oct 24, 1858).
HOPKINS, Mr., mentioned in RMN, file of 1859 as “from De Kalb County, Illinois, and mining at Illinois Gulch.”
HOPKINS (of firm of HOPKINS & WEST), mining in Illinois Gulch and Missouri Flats, during summer of ’59. May be same party.
HOPKINS & COMPANY, mining in Pleasant Valley. Three men. Another mention is of Hopkins & Company mining in Pleasant Valley with seven men, ’59.
HORNUNG, Charles, (of City of Denver) grantor 160 acres land on Clear Creek. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
HORTON, Mr., from Chicago, is said in history to have accompanied George A. Jackson on his first prospecting trip to Vasquez Fork, and in one of the early numbers of the RMN it states that J. P. Horton, of Chicago, with G. A. Jackson of Glasgow, Missouri, and William Simpson of Chicago had brought specimens of shot gold from their findings at Vasquez Forks to the RMN office.
HORTON, H., had claim in the McLeod & Company tracts at Forks of Plum Creek on Divide, claimed Oct 26, 1859. (See this company.)
HOTCHKISS, Mr. E. T., mentioned at Denver, on occasion of banquet of Colorado Pioneers in 1881, (files of that year), as a visitor from the San Juan, and a pioneer who had arrived Jul 5, 1859.
HOUGH, G. H., witness to deed from Matthew Riddlebarger of City of Denver to John Francisco of Fort Garland, New Mexico, for Denver lots dated Nov 21, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
HOUSE, F. K., witness in deed between David Smoke and H. Murat, Apr 1859. (Arapahaoe County Land Records)
HOUSEL, Judge P. M., an arrival of 1859, was born Milton, Pennsylvania 1823, lived Davenport, Iowa 1852, Newton, Iowa 1857, then crossed Plains and engaged in mining at first on Horsfal Lode for three years, after which he removed to Boulder Valley. In 1862 was elected County Judge of Boulder County, elected again ’64, and later trustee of Boulder Valley Railroad, was at first a Whig, later a Republican in politics, and Ruling Elder in Presbyterian Church. (Notes from History of Boulder Valley.)
HOUTS, D., arrived from Fontaine County, Indiana with 12 others, all left Leavenworth Apr 21, 1859, arriving City of Denver May 29, by Smoky Hill Route. (RMN files)
HOWARD & COMPANY, four men, mining, Pleasant Valley, summer 1859. (RMN)
HOWARD, G. L., of Boulder, 1890, arrived Jun 20, 1858, born Mississippi Aug 2, 1835.
HOWARD, George W., arrived Jul 27, 1859. Lived in Howardsville, Colorado.
HOWARD, John P., certificate of his City of Denver lots recorded Aug 23, 1859. (Lots 5-6, block 142, from E. P. Stout, President Denver Town Company. These he transfers back to Stout.)
HOWARD, Norman R., born Brown County, Illinois Nov 18, 1834. Was farmer in Arkansas Valley, 1859, then followed mining on Chicago Creek near Idaho Springs (site) in Clear Creek County a short time, then preempted 160 acres land on South Boulder Creek, four miles east of City of Boulder, where in 1880 he was living. In 1862 he married Miss Mary Dawson of Hancock County, Illinois. She died 1873. They left one son and three daughters. (For further notes relating to this pioneer, see History of Boulder Valley, edited by Bixby.)
HOWARD, W. C., was a delegate to the first Constitutional Convention in Auraria and Denver, Jun 1859. A representative of Kayote, which precinct had three delegates, one third as many as the city of Auraria.
HOWE, ---, of Florence, Nebraska Territory, arrived May 5, 1859. (RMN)
HOWE, F. T., was Secretary of the Northwestern Manufacturing Company at Gregory’s Diggings, 1859.
HOWE, Frederic, grantee of Donation Lots, with agreement to build a hewed log house. Denver City 1859.
HOWE, George, was witness to signature of deed, to Auraria lots Oct 8, 1859.
HOWE, J., was member of firm of Tetlow & Company, Golden Gate City, Jul 1859.
HOWE, Samuel, had boarding house on McGaa Street, City of Denver, 1859, as shown by the Mss. Directory copied by Mr. Sopris. From another authority it may be noticed that Samuel Howe, Sheriff of Arapahoe County, in 1859 had child born in Denver, that he left this city for Territory of Montana later. There is a grant of lots to Samuel Howe, “of Leavenworth County, Kansas” on Sep 13, 1859, (lots in City of Denver) but this may be prior, or soon after his arrival.
HOWELL, William R., arrived Denver spring of ’59 and became farmer in Boulder County, but not without some mining and prospecting before this was undertaken. He was born near St. Thomas, Canada, Aug 17, 1834, removed with parents when age 12 years to near Carroll County, Illinois, farming, but had good education obtained at Carroll Seminary. He made a trip to the States after his coming to Denver and Boulder, and returned to take up fine homestead in Boulder Valley, later acquiring an acreage of over a thousand. He was Sheriff 1869, and much esteemed. Married Dec 24, 1864 Miss Cornelia A. Sheldon, had two daughters. (History Boulder Valley, edited by A. Bixby.)
HOWLAND, John D., lived in Denver 1890, devoting himself principally to painting scenes of the Western plains and Indian subjects. He arrived 1857, in October, it is said, and was member of the Colorado Pioneers’ Society. The dates are from record in Hall’s Colorado History. He was born Zanesville, Ohio May 7, 1843. He is also said to have been an early resident of Central City. He spent several years of his earliest time in Colorado among the Indians and trappers. The files of 1859 seem to have no mention of his activities in art as far back as that time, and in fact, nothing has been noticed in searching through files of the early sixties, but in the seventies he appears as an artist, and many notices later. He died ---
HOWLAND, T. R., associated with T. H. Clemo on Ferry Street, City of Auraria in Saloon and Restaurant. (Mss. Directory of Business, 1859). Was also a witness in Jan 1860 of deed to farm claim. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
HOYT, “Pap”, accompanied the Byers party to Colorado it is said 1859.
HUBBARD, William, of Dawson County, Georgia, was fatally shot May 28, 1859, on his way to Gregory Diggings. (RMN)
HUBBLE, P. Hanford, files for record a mining claim in Tozier Lode Gregory Diggings, and claims that for want of proper machinery the right to rest progress of the work shall be accorded to him during the summer. Dated at Mountain City, Oct 3, 1859. He signs and copy is in Gregory Record, p. 33, 1859.
HUBBELL, Dr. Stephen J., long time resident of Ft. Lupton, arrived Colorado 1859 settling near site of LaSalle, has lived in Lupton until few years before 1922 when he removed to Denver. Died about Sep 1922. Born in Wheeling, West Virginia. He left three sons, Allen and Thomas of Denver, W. G., Postmaster of Ft. Lupton in 1922, and two daughters, Mrs. John McKissick, and Mrs. H. H. Ewing of Ft. Lupton. (Clipping 1922)
HUBER, Francis J., member Society of Colorado Pioneers, living 1920 in Kiowa. Arrived Jun 1859. He was born in Switzerland Jun 22, 1824. Fr. Joseph Huber is way his name appears in one place. In another record Joseph Huber is said to be a very early resident or settler on “The Divide.”
HUCKSTEP, James, of Arapahoe County, grantee from G. W. Tyler Nov 3, 1859, land on north bank of Platte River, 1-1/2 miles above middle of Clear Creek, ½ mile square. Consideration, $200.
HUDSON, Peter, arrived mouth of Cherry Creek 1858. (Clipping without date)
HUERFANO PRECINCT, (political) had two delegates to first Constitutional Convention 1859.
HUEY, William, one of the discoverers of Gold Hill, Boulder County. He was an arrival of 1858.
HUFFER, J. G., meat market (Hatfield and Huffer) Denver McGaa Street (Directory of 1859) and Jul 20, same year. This firm is grantee of two lots on McGaa Street, “with logs, etc.” from B. H. Perrin. (Arapahoe County)
HUGHES & BRYANT, proprietors of Vasquez House, Auraria (board by day or week) advertized in Western Mountaineer, Golden City Dec 1859.
HUGHES, John, miner and prospector of 1859, member of the Mountain City Town Company, and was Tyler pro-tem, Oct the same year in Auraria Lodge (Masonic) and on Oct 15 is elected a trustee, associated with Henry Allen and W. M. Slaughter. His name is the 2nd on the petition from Auraria Lodge to the Grand Lodge of Kansas for a dispensation for this Lodge, before it could be regularly organized. The name of John Hughes, probably same, occurs as candidate for member of City Council of the consolidated cities of Auraria and Denver some years later. Several land transactions connect him with ownership of Denver lots, one dated Nov 2, 1859 in which he is grantor of lot 1, block 9, City of Auraria, “running from Cherry Street 64 feet back, said ground fronting on Cherry and Fifth Streets, for consideration of $100.” Associated with him in this sale is George H. Bryant. John Hughes, (probably same ?) files claim to 160 acres land for a ranche on right bank of Platte, opposite H. M. Figley’s claim dated Nov 28, same year. Jan 13, 1860 he seems to be in Golden, for he is signed as witness to deed between William G. Preston and A. Jacobs, which was recorded in Jefferson County Land Records, Golden.
HUGHES, L. M., is mentioned in notes of work in mountains during a series of articles on the camps, summer of ’59. He is working in Mountain City Diggings.
HUGHES, M, arrived from Coffeeville, Kansas Territory in party of 14 men. Left Leavenworth Apr 22, arrived May 29, 1859 by Smoky Hill Route.
HULL, ---, Hull’s Ranche, in mountains was noted in papers 1859.
HULL, M. L., of Denver, Sep 9, 1859, is witness to deed between administrator of Edward Hay, deceased, of Denver, and P. Marcellus of Washington County, Nebraska Territory.
HULL, William W., pioneer of 1859, member of Colorado Pioneers’ Society, arrived May 20, and was living Denver about 1907. He was a member of the Law and Order League of ’59, which preceded the Provisional Government. In 1899, he lived 2656 Stout Street, Denver.
HULL’S RANCHE, (see note 3rd above) was a precinct in Oct ’59 in election for Provisional Government.
HUMBEL, (also spelled HUMBELL, and HUMBLE), Miss Auraria, infant daughter of Henry and Theresia, or Rese Humbel, or Rosa Humbel, who were bakers, keeping little shop on southeast corner of 10th and Larimer (then called St Louis and 5th Streets), which cabin he rented and it had formerly been Smoke’s “El Dorado Hotel” where a bakery was started and Humbel employed John Milheim. Here the infant Auraria was born, thought to be the first white girl born in the country, in Jul 1859, and she was granted from the Auraria Town Company a lot numbered 1, block 67, in Auraria City, on Oct 22 of same year, one dollar being paid to make title. Henry Humbel also received lots (3) in consideration of Miss Auraria’s birth, number 2, block 67, and 7-8, block 31, being recorded in Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber D, p. 21, old. Henry Humbell bought lots 7-8, block 31 from L. B. St. James, Jul 16, 1859, recorded same day (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber C, p. 200, old. The Humbels came from Utah, by way of Bridger Pass, early in spring of ’59 and did not stay long in Auraria, departing for Nevada Territory (Reece River) in 1863.
HUMBUG GULCH, was near Galena Gulch, and a rather good mining camp part of ’59.
HUME, T., arrived from Missouri May 28, 1859. (List of arrivals in RMN)
HUMLEY, H. J., a delegate from Golden Gate City Oct 1859 to the convention which met to form the famous Provisional Government after failure of the first constitution.
HUMMELL, ---, lived in Auraria, a contemporary of the Bumbel family, in ’59. He had a wife also.
HUMPHREY, Henry (spelled “Umphrey” in the RMN), died Jun 27, 1859, Denver City, aged in his 40th year. He was from Alton, Illinois.
HUMPHREY, Matthew, of Golden City, “formerly of Alton, Illinois” has met with a painful accident in the pineries about Jan 11, 1860. His right hand had to be amputated (Western Mountaineer). (The pineries were usually places where saw mills were going in year of ’59. Many were on the Divide.)
HUND, W., shareholder in Golden City Association 1859. (Shareholder’s book, pp. 31-2-3)
HUNDLEY, Thomas A., was a resident of Auraria Dec 1859.
HUNT, Mr., of New York, arrived in company with J. Rodenstein of Kansas Territory in wagons of E. Doty’s Lightning Train of ten wagons, May 22, 1859. Others in same wagon were R. Boyd (of New York) also from same place Mr. Scott, and L. Rice of Kansas Territory. (RMN)
HUNT, A. C., name in the Mss. Directory of 1859 (this pamphlet was very likely issued in the autumn of that year). This Mr. Hunt was in the livery business with John M. Clark, at 3rd Street, Auraria. Possibly this may have been one of Gov. Hunt’s early activities in the new country. Alexander Cameron Hunt, his full name, never appears in any old records, and I took it from the monument at Riverside. For complete record of his life, see the Colorado Histories of Colorado by Hall, Smiley, Byers and others. His portrait is in both Smiley’s and Hall’s Histories. He was in the group of pioneers which arrived Jun 18, 1859, was Judge of the “Peoples” Court, same year, also President of the Capitol Hydraulic Company, of Auraria, incorporated this year to construct ditches for irrigation of that City. He was Governor in 1867, member of a constitutional convention 1865, and bought some Denver lots, and his office while governor was in a brick building in Auraria, on what is now Larimer and 11th Streets, then known as Ferry and Fifth. In 1870 when this compiler first saw Denver, a show place of the city was Governor Hunt’s pretty story and a half brick home standing in a wide park of evergreens and cottonwoods, the door approached with a winding drive. Lincoln Park now fills the space of this homestead, rather in the country it used to seem, with barren plains all about it. A few of the evergreens, very much stunted and ragged, still persist among some newer trees, and several rather fine cottonwoods in Lincoln Park speak of old days, and were no doubt of the governor’s planting. Mrs. Hunt was Ellen E. Kellogg. She died Aug 8, 1880, aged 44 years. The governor was born Dec 23, 1825, died May 14, 1894. The children have died, both Isabel and Bruce. Bert is said to be living in California (?). Major J. N. McDowell married a sister of Gov. Hunt and their daughter, Helen, was born Freeport, Illinois, but moved to Colorado early. She died Salt Lake City 1922.
HUNT, Dr., said to have arrived in Boulder Aug 1859 in company with Wellman brothers.
HUNT, George F (or George H.?), was mining in Gregory Diggings Sep 1859, for on the 29th he files notice in Mountain City that as his claim is in the hard quartz, he wants to discontinue operations upon it until he gets machinery from the States. He makes another similar statement affecting his claim at Gold Hill and on Record Book, p. 10, is another statement conveying his interest in Nevada Gulch to Ephraim Dalley. (Name also signed as George W. Hunt ?)
HUNT, Hamilton R., was listed as a surveyor, also as lawyer, in the Directory of 1859, a resident of Auraria, though in June he was resident of Junction Precinct, for was delegate from that place to the first Constitutional Convention. He was also in this year a director on the board of the Capitol Hydraulic Company, and was one of the lawyers who acted as council for a noted desperado. The Colorado Republican of Jul 13, 1862 states that he was admitted to the Bar in State of Illinois 1847. He is “of Arapahoe County” on Nov 9, 1859, when he is a grantee of Denver lots from J. L. Winchester, and the following Dec 29 is grantee of farm claim of 160 acres seven miles below Auraria, down the Platte River. This must have been much improved for the consideration was large. This he sells or gives later to Sarah Hunt. T. H. Clemo is witness to this instrument, Liber G, p. 3. The following is from the RMN Oct 30, 1862: “Died, Mrs. Sarah Hunt, age 73 years, at Atchison Kansas, Oct 19, 1862, Mother of our present U. S. Marshall. She had resided in Denver for two years past, and they were enroute to the old home in Freeport, Illinois.” The above-mentioned death may refer to a relative of more than one of the Hunt family. Hamilton R. Hunt was Correspondence Secretary for the first Pioneers’ Society, 1866.
HUNT, Howard, member of the Lawrence party coming in the 7th wagon 1858. His name is said to have been cut in the soft sandstone of one of the huge rocks in the Garden of the Gods, in that year.
HUNT, Joseph, was a miner in Clear Creek and Boulder County 1859, and owned “The Topeka” mine.
HUNT, Richard, is grantor Dec 29, 1859 of farm of 160 acres, seven miles down the Platte from Auraria, consideration $1,000. Witness T. H. Clemo, (see conveyance between Winchester and H. R. Hunt in third note above). (Liber G, p. 3) Richard Hunt styles himself “of Arapahoe County.” There is a Walter C. Hunt, who on Feb 1, 1860 bought land of Auraria Town Company, and may also be a Fiftyniner. (?)
HUNT, William, files record and description of claim located Oct 27, 1859, “1/2 section land, for ranche and trading post, on Deer Creek, where the Denver and Auraria Wagon Road crosses said stream.” (Received for record 6 pm Nov 2, 1859, Arapahoe County.)
HUNTER, J. R., arrived Denver May 28, 1859, from Missouri. (RMN)
HUNTER LODE was a prospect in 1859, probably discovered or owned by one of the Hunter miners.
HUNTER, Mr. S., an actor in Thorne’s troupe summer 1859. Mentioned often in the papers. Sam D. Hunter, actor, benefit for him at the Theatre, Oct 22, 1859. Twenty citizens sign for his benefit, which is to take place at Apollo Theatre in November. Later, in 1863, Mar 24, the paper records the marriage of Samuel D. Hunter, Esq. and Henrietta Alden, “both of West Denver.” This is probably our artist of the footlights.
HUNTER, T., of Illinois, miner, mentioned as being in Gregory Diggings or Gregory Lode.
HUNTINGTON, Mr., from Iowa Point, Kansas Territory, arrived in May 1859 by Platte Route.
HUNTSVILLE, was a town of 1859 on Plum Creek Divide between Denver and Colorado City (on Plum Creek Road).
HURD, Charles, and company arrived Denver City from Grand Rapids, Michigan May 28, 1859. Nine men in party. (RMN)
HURLBURT, William H., was President of the Northwestern Mining Company at Gregory Diggings, 1859. He is mentioned in Gregory Record as filing claim of Crandall, Mountain City, same year. The Discovery Claim was found by him in this year also.
HURST, Joseph, is a discoverer of a mine in Gilpin County, in 1859 according to Bancroft.
HUSTON, George, grantee from Denver City Town Company, four lots in block 32 and 145, on Aug 23, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
HUTCHINS, Roswell, (also called Ross Hutchuns), a figure of pioneer life, member of the Lawrence party, arriving in the 3rd wagon 1858. Became an original stockholder of City of Auraria in this year, and is thought to have had the first good cabin, if not the very first cabin in Auraria, and early Masonic meetings were held in his place late in 1858. This place is thought to be on Ferry Street, near the river, where a fine grove of grand cottonwoods made friendly shelter. Later, in the seventies, a good grove still existed there, as the cottonwood was not fit for either logs or firewood if anything else could be had. It was, when aged, a tree almost equal to the English oak for beauty and distinction, and, in Colorado, was only rivalled by the oldest and best box elder trees, such as were in Mt. Vernon Canon, and in fact, many are still to be seen there, though not appreciated as they should be. But when the “Bottoms” on the west of Cherry Creek had to be cleared for rail road tracks, it was a costly and painful matter to clear away the old cottonwoods, for no one could be found poor enough to want to burn up the wood, so it had to be carried to the city dumps and buried gradually by dust and ashes. Under some of these large and beautiful old trees the Fiftyniners and those before them in 1858, such as Roswell Hutchins, could rest their eyes – after a month or so on the naked plains. It was no wonder they founded a Masonic Lodge in such a friendly and sweet settlement. In Mar 1859 Ross Hutchins seems to have been elected county assessor according to the RMN, but little seems known of his career later on, though it has been stated that he lived in Salt Lake, and as this was as recently as 1895, his name may be found in directories of that place. In Auraria he bought twenty or more lots, among them lot 12, block 64, all of the Town Company, granted Nov 18, 1859.
HUTCHINSON, ---, miner, mentioned in files as being at work in Clear Creek and Boulder districts 1859 and later.
HUTCHINSON, J. H., of Mountain City, Sep 12, 1859, files statement which is recorded Oct 4, that his mining claims are laid over until next June, “in accordance with the mining laws of this district.” (Gregory Record, p. 35)
HUTCHINSON, W. B., had News Depot, Denver City, during part of 1859.
HUTCHISON, W. B., advertized in papers of 1859 as being their agent in Denver at Denver House.
HUTTON, STAGG, and HUTTON, of Mount Pleasant, Iowa, arrived by Platte Route Jun 4, 1859. (RMN)
HYATT, R. H., witness Oct 3, 1859, in deed to mining claims in Gregory Diggings (Gregory Record. p. 46). He also made claim on preceding Sep 28, as a Discovery Claim, in south of Gregory Gulch and north of Hunter Lode, southwest of Mountain City. This was recorded two days later than the first mentioned above. Robert H. Hyatt seems his full name. (Gregory Record, p. 23) He claims in this statement that his claims cannot be worked this season for want of machinery.
HYATT, Reuben H., (?) certifies having claimed a quarter section of land on Denver, Auraria, and Colorado Wagon Road, at Turkey Run. Dated Oct 27, 1859, filed for record (Golden) Nov 2. (It is possible that this is intended for Robert H. Hyatt ?) R. S. Hyatt is also mentioned in the RMN as “determined to prospect Middle Park.” And this may also be Robert H. Hyatt. (?)
HYDE, Calvin C., grantee, from J. H. Dudley, consideration $1, lot 4, block 3, City of Auraria, Aug 21, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
HYDE, J. E., advertizement in Western Mountaineer, May 1, 1860 wanting information of his whereabouts. He left the mines in Clear Creek about Sep 25, 1859 for home. His anxious father in Spencer, Owen County, Indiana, wants information of him.
HYNES, Caleb (Calvin ?), probably of Denver, was witness to signature of David Gregory’s statement of claim to land, filed for record in Denver Jun 4, 1859. Also recorded in Jefferson County (Golden).
Denver Public Library Online ©
Updated: June 25, 2013