GABBIT, T. C., of Brown County, Missouri, arrived goldfields May 28, 1859 by Arkansas Route. (RMN, May, 1859)
GADD, P., arrived May 22, 1859 with H. P. Stringer (Illinois) in wagon 6 of E. Doty’s Lightning Express Train of 10 wagons. (RMN)
GALLAGHER, D. W., arrived Denver May 1, 1859. Born Ohio Jan 28, 1834. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society.
GAMBELL, A. D., arrived May 30, 1859. Late of West Union, Ohio. Born Ohio Jan 27, 1823. Went to Gregory District and with Sam. Link discovered a rich quartz lead about 15 miles NNW of Gregory Diggings, in a gulch since named for him (Gambell’s Gulch) on one of the little tributaries of Boulder Creek. This occurred Jun 5, soon after his arrival in the goldfields. Gambell’s Gulch soon became famous for placer diggings. But Gambell, being of a roving nature, wished to explore farther and left it for the site of Nevadaville, where he and Link organized a new mining district, naming it New Nevada. (For an interesting detailed account of Gambell’s adventures on these expeditions, see Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 201.)
Gambell and Company (four men) operated in Nevada during the summer, as mentioned in file of the RMN. Gambell said that he had recorded the first town lot in the District. Gambell lived in Denver about 1907 it is said.
GAMBELL, F., was a founding member of old Auraria Lodge in Oct 1859. The Masonic record shows that his previous membership had been with Unity Lodge No. 12 in Ohio.
GAMBERT, J. M., had vinegar factory on Larimer Street, Denver, 1859. (Mss. Business Directory, Denver)
GAMBLE (see Gambell), M. W., was a delegate from Deadwood Diggings to the first Constitutional Convention, Jun 1859.
GANS (Gaus?), Jacob, grantee from Auraria Town Company Aug 27, 1859, lot 10, block 38, Auraria. Later, Jan 6, 1860 he locates farm or ranche claim, 160 acres on Dry Creek four miles below Wagoner’s claim, one half-mile square. Filed for record Jan 22, 1860. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
GANTZ, John, a quiet, inoffensive German who had resided in Auraria and Denver over a year, killed in Auraria by J. A. Gordon about Jul 18, 1860. He was from Lockport, New York according to the Western Mountaineer, but recently from Leavenworth. The RMN gave him a high character. His funeral is described as very large, under auspices of the Turnverein, the Germans all turned out, and on the Sunday he was buried they had bands playing solemn music and a beautiful service. They did not cease to make endeavors for his murderer’s capture, and justice was given in his execution. A full description of the affair is included in RMN and other papers of the period.
GARDNER, Charles, arrived Colorado in party with L. C. Sylvanus and H. L. Willman, 1859. (See History Boulder County.)
GARDNER, Maj. E. F., an arrival of 1859, was living 1881.
GARDNER, J. F., arrived May 14, 1859 form New York. Born Nov 2, 1834. Living in Frankstown, Douglas County in 1890. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society.
GARNHART, John H., of Denver City firm doing business Jul 1859 was of St. Louis. In Arapahoe County Land Records it appears that he had “Draw lots” (owned first by Daniel Knight) issued to him. He is resident of St. Louis in July, but in March seems to be of Denver. He gives power of attorney to William H. Harlowe, also of St. Louis, to transact all business in Denver connected with sales of property, to conduct, and take charge of grocery, liquors, manufacturing vinegar, banking and exchange business at Denver, dated Mar 1. This may be a non-resident property holder, but it quite likely he was also a visitor to the field of his investments.
GARRISON, A. F., was member of Golden City Association 1859. He was earlier, in June, President Pro Tem of the first Constitutional Convention.
GARVIN, Dr., said to have been an arrival of 1859 with M. Beach. (See under Mel Beech (Beach).)
GASSIDE, J., arrived May 22, 1859 in wagon 1 of E. Doty’s Lightning Express Train of 10 wagons. (Seems to have been from Kansas Territory.) (RMN file 1859)
GASTON, James, miner of Clear Creek and Boulder Counties, arrived 1859. Discoverer of the Gaston Mine, Gilpin County.
GASTON (GASTIN), W. C., arrived mouth Cherry Creek 1858.
GATCH, A. P., witness to deed, Auraria, Jun 1859.
GEERGE, William, arrived with Lone Star Company by Smoky Hill Route, May 22, 1859. (List in RMN ’59 file)
GEHRUNG, Dr. Eugene C., pioneer of 1858, said by The Trail May 1924, to be first physician to locate permanently in Denver. Died, 4177 King Street, Denver, Apr 11, 1924, aged 85 years. Born Alsace Lorraine 1839, and at age of 13 emigrated with parents to United States. Spent with parents six years in Texas. His first office in Denver was on site of the present City Hall, and in the first frame building. Joined Lodge No. 5 in 1879. Married 1874 Miss Beatrice Faehnerich of St. Louis, Missouri, who came to Denver on first train of K.P.R.R. She died 1920. Three sons, Dr. Julian A. (New York City), Adolph E. (bond broker, New York City), and Eugene S. (Real Estate, Tampa, Florida). There is a death copied from file of the RMN of 1874, showing that Mrs. Elizabeth Gehrung, aged 71 years, died Feb 13, in said year in Denver. Funeral was at residence of F. L. Rohlfing, 381 Champa. This may be a relative?
GEORGETOWN, said to have been named after GEORGE GRIFFITH, an arrival of 1858. Mines were numerous here in very early days.
GEORGIA GULCH, mining center of 1859, not far from site of Breckenridge. GEORGIA PASS was six miles north of Tarryall Diggings.
GEROW, Louis C., of Denver, gives power of attorney to Clement L’amereux, to sell, etc. in Denver for him, dated May 4, 1859. Another paper gives name of Lewis C. Gerard, Jun 8 same year, joint owner of lots “where plank house has been erected.” (Arapahoe County Land Records 1859)
GERRISH, A. F., files surveyor’s record of his ranche claim on north side Clear Creek about seven miles from Denver, Sep 23, 1859, 160 acres. He later sells this and later in 1860 (?) buys it back again. The RMN file of Nov 1859 contains his death as follows: “Died, at the residence of his brother, in Denver, (of inflamation of the bowels) A. F. Gerrish, aged 29 years. He was followed to his grave in Mt. Prospect Cemetery by a numerous concourse of sympathizing friends. Maine and Massachusetts papers please copy.”
GERRISH, John H., probably a brother of the preceding, was witness to signature in Denver Jul 28, 1859. He was a member of Auraria Lodge (Masonic) Oct 1, 1859 (a founding member) and was formerly a member of Lafayette Lodge No. 41 of New Hampshire. But he seems to have been among those who wished to divide the honors of Masonry with Denver, Auraria’s bitter rival, and so is with Collins, Wells and others in a petition to establish Denver Lodge in same year. He was a merchant, doing business on Larimer Street, Denver, advertizing much in the RMN to furnish provisions, clothing, miners’ outfitting, and to purchase gold dust. (GERRISH & COMPANY)
The RMN, file of Jan 1861, has the following: “Married, Mr. John H. Gerrish and Miss Fannie D. Miles, of Zeandale Farm, formerly of Leavenworth, Jan 9, 1861 at residence of R. C. Whitsitt, by Rev. W. Bradford.”
GERRY, Elbridge, a frontier trader, assistant to Blake & Williams in the management of their business. He was on the ground of Denver before 1858. He claimed descent from the famous Elbridge Gerry, signer of the Declaration of Independence. Born Oswego County, New York and died many years before 1901, date of the writing of the notes here given. In 1865 he had ranche on South Platte, in valley, 67 miles northeast of Denver. The Indians raided it, but he had removed to a distance with most of his belongings. One note says he died 1876 and had an Indian wife. (?)
GERRY, Godfrey, arrival of 1858-9, kept stage for Overland Stage Company.
GESJIGERLES (?), Francis I. (or J?), filed farm claim, 160 acres, on Platte River, 2-1/2 miles below mouth of Clear Creek, claim taken on Jan 4, 1860. (This must be an arrival of 1859 or earlier.)
GEST, John G. H., (sometimes called John H. Gest), attorney in Directory of Denver for 1859. Was also miner and operated the Mammoth Quartz Mining Company in Mountain City, and had 30 claims on the Gregory Lode. He was a delegate from Mountain City in June, this year to the first Constitutional Convention, and is said to have been from Chicago, Illinois at time. He was also one of the founders of Freemasonry in the Rocky Mountain region, acting as Secretary Pro Tem at first meeting of Auraria Lodge of which he was a member. (Oct 1, 1859)
GIBSON, Henry, left Nebraska with Byers party in Feb 1859, arrived Denver Apr 19. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Association. Born England Jan 22, 1840. From 1890, 1907, and at date 1920 he lived Omaha, Nebraska. He was in Gregory Diggings year of arrival for he witnessed deed Sep 28, Mountain City (Gregory Record, p. 14) and is grantee from Charles A. Brassler (p. 20, same) on claim on Simmons Lode, Gregory Diggings, and it is stated “for want of proper machinery the claims cannot be worked to advantage this season.” This is recorded Oct 1, at Mountain City. He was writer of the protest published on editorial page of Rocky Mountain Gold Reporter Nov. 10, same year. He is witness in Auraria Nov 15 to deed granting lots from Auraria Town Company to Thomas Gibson.
GIBSON, Iram, with Z. B. Gibson, arrive by Santa Fe Trail, 60 days enroute May 30, 1859. (From Georgia.) (RMN file 1859)
GIBSON, J., Illinois, arrived in wagon 4 of E. Doty’s Lightning Express Train of 10 wagons May 22, 1859. (RMN)
GIBSON, R., arrived from Illinois spring 1859. (RMN File) On Jun 1 he arrives with W. H. Bowker and D. Pettijohn.
GIBSON, Thomas, arrived Apr 8, 1859 with Byers and his printing outfit and was at first associated with him in publishing the RMN.
He was from Fontanelle, Nebraska. Lived later years in Omaha (1890) and later. Born (Colorado Pioneers’ Society List) Jun 1, 1819 (no place given). He was later a member of the Mammoth Quartz Lead Mining Company of Mountain City, and published there his paper which continued for five months, “The Rocky Mountain Gold Reporter and Mountain City Herald.” First number published Aug 8, 1859.
He was a member (President Pro Tem & Secretary) of the first Constitutional Convention, probably from Gregory Diggings. On Nov 15, same year, he was grantee of Auraria lots from Auraria Town Company, Henry Gibson being witness. (See above.) (Arapahoe County Land Records Liber F, p. 105) In 1860, May 5, he is editor and proprietor of the Rocky Mountain Herald, and No. 1 of Volume 1 is issued on this date. (Denver) This paper still survives, edited by Will C. Ferrill.
GIFFORD, Thomas A., member Colorado Pioneers’ Association, 1920 living in Denver. Arrived 1859.
GILBERT, J. R., advertizes in Western Mountaineer Dec 21, 1859, his livery stable, saddles, ponies, and pack animals to hire etc., Platte (Street) at Golden City.
GILBERT, N. & COMPANY, from Gerard, Ohio, arrived with eight men spring (Jun 3) 1859.
GILES, Charles and Company, with 33 men, arrived Jun 9, 1859 by Platte Route and Giles & Company are said to be from Galliot County, Ohio. (RMN) Giles was of an inventive genius, and in Gilpin County, where he mined, constructed a six stamper for quartz ore in this year, which he ran by water power near the mouth of Chase Gulch. During the autumn and summer he had over $6000 with this rude machine. (Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 204)
GILL, Jacob, located ranche claim 160 acres, one half mile from bank of Platte River, Nov 11, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records, 1859)
GILL, Thomas N., grantee from Auraria Town Company, lot 5, block 100, Auraria City, Oct 12, 1859. (Later in 1860 he bought lot 4, block 100) (Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber F, p. 92, 1859)
There is a death in the file of the Colorado Republican Nov 1861 as follows: “Died, in Lincoln City, French Gulch, Nov 21, 1861, Nancy Jane Gill, wife of Thomas Gill in the 21st year of her age. Burial was with Episcopal Service. Illinois papers please copy.” This may be Thomas N. Gill or another of same name. There are several of the Gill name in the Diggings, for in 1861, Nov 7, a marriage occurs between S. H. Gill and Rachel Overpeck, both of Denver, at Tremont House by Rev. A. S. Billingsley. (Colorado Republican, Nov 1861)
GILMAN, ---, this name occurs among those having Donation Lots in Auraria Town Company, spring 1859. Again in 1862, Jul 9, at residence of bride’s father in Denver, Edward Gilman and Mary E. Crune are married. (This could be same ?)
GILMORE, Charles M., has 1859 Donation Lots for building, and Apr 22, same year, is grantor of lots on south side of Blake Street, between C. and D. Streets (lots 3-4), Richard E. Whitsitt, grantee. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
GILPIN, William, an early traveler in the Pike’s Peak region, being with Fremont as early as 1844 and a volume could be filled with his experiences. He was the first Governor of Colorado after it was organized as a real Territory. Born, Battlefield of Brandywine Oct 22, 1822. Died Jan 20, 1894. Parents, Joshua Gilpin and Mary Dilworth. Married 1874 a southern woman, Mrs. Julia Pratt Dickerson, who had three children by first husband, Louise, Sidney and Elizabeth. The last married Otis B. Spencer of Denver. Governor Gilpin’s children were Polly and William (twins), the last deceased, and Louis. (For an account of Governor Gilpin’s life, see the many histories of Colorado.) His portrait appears in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 129, and in RMN, p. 7, Jul 4, 1890. Many other portraits are to be found. Gilpin County was named for him, but at first called Mountain County. The notes above, relating to Governor Gilpin’s wife, children, etc. are from his biography in Vickers’ History of Denver. (See this, long sketch.)
GILTNER, Amos C., member Colorado Pioneers’ Society, and lived Denver (1907-1920). Arrived Jul 14, 1859. Born New York Dec 28, 1818. (There may be a mistaken date here, as 1920 makes him very old?)
GIMAUD, G., name in list in RMN during 1859 of merchants handling gold dust. (Auraria or Denver)
GIVENS, A., arrived Apr 14, 1859 in 6th wagon of Capt. William Valentine’s train from La Salle, Illinois, 23 days from St. Joseph. (See under Valentine for his companions.) (Cherry Creek Pioneer, Vol. 1, No. 1, Apr 23, 1859)
GIVENS & PLATTE, six men, mining, Pleasant Valley, summer 1859. (RMN)
GLASS, J. E., files claim together with E. B., F. M., and J. B. Wood for mining purposes, claim located in Broad Tree Gulch, Gregory Diggings. (Gregory Record, p. 50, 1859)
GLASSCOCK, (partner of Rading Hadre), grantor, 160 acres, ranche claim on Platte River, consideration $250, “land nearly opposite Fort Lupton” dated Dec 5, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records, 1859)
GLENDINAN (GLENDINNING), John Y., one of the earliest artists I have been able to discover (although several visitors have been found) who really lived in the goldfields for any length of time. Regarding his work the records show the following: “He was a shareholder in the Golden City Association, 1859, by evidence of their share book, now existing in possession of Mr. West of the Transcript (p. 137). In Denver he seems to have owned lots in blocks 18-88-240-317-82-131-210, as is evident by the Arapahoe County Land Records, 1859. On Nov 9, same year, he was grantee from Auraria Town Company of 17 lots in Auraria. (See for this, Liber F, p. 383.)
On Nov 10, same year, next day after the entry of the lots, the following editorial appears on p. 2 of the RMN: “John Y. Glendinan, who has spent some months in sketching this region of country and the mines, leaves this morning for St. Louis where he will spend the next few months in painting a panorama of the mountains, the Plains, and the Platte Valley. His portfolio is filled with sketches, and we promise our Eastern friends a rich treat in his panorama.”
Later, the Colorado Republican publishes the following marriage: John Y. Glendenning of Central City, to Sarah Ellen McGarren, of Denver Dec 10, 1861, at residence of the bride’s father, by Rev. W. A. Kenney. After this event an advertizement appears in the Tri-Weekly Mining Register of Central to the effect that John Y. Glendinen is equipped to do all kinds of house and sign painting, as well as decorations of all description. (Jul 30, 1862) This appears for some time afterward, and he, we will hope, made some money as Central was building fast, and much work of such a kind needed.
When this writer was in Central in Nov 1924 she was told by Mr. Chase Withrow, Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Colorado A.F. & A.M., that John Y. Glendenning was the artist who had painted all the interior decorations, portraits, etc. in the Masonic Hall of Central, and that the room was one of the most beautiful of the kind in the United States, and has been pronounced to be so by many distinguished persons for years past. He said that this building opposite to the Teller House, had been erected by D. C. Collier for his newspaper, about 1864 or 1865, and was used from that time forward (in the upper part) as a Masonic Hall. So there is no doubt that Glendenning is the very first artist of Colorado. The writer of these notes was unable to see the hall, much to her regret, for Central City is disappearing, and will probably soon be ranked with the dead cities of the great gold mining district.
GLOTFELTER, E. S., Secretary Pro Tem, miners’ meeting of Jul 23, 1859, reported in the RMN. This meeting was at Gold Hill.
GLOVER, Adolphus B., “late of city of St. Louis” Missouri, is grantee of Denver City lots from Rice & Burdick, Nov 1859. Later in December he is witness in Auraria. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
GOBLE, W. H., was 3d Corporal, Rocky Mountain Rangers, elected at Mountain City, 1859. (Files)
GOLDATE, Samuel C., witness, Denver City, deeds, Oct 26, 1859.
GOLDBERG & POPE, Denver firm, 1859. (Grumpert Goldburg and Georgius (or Georgina ?) Pope, Jul 12 are grantees of lots on southeast of McGaa Street running with Cherry Creek. (Arapahoe County Land Records, 1859) Goldberg in this year was in the auction and commission business on Ferry Street, Auraria. He is said to have been from New Mexico. Again, he is said to be of St. Louis formerly, and is now in the diggings at Gregory, mining. On Aug 23 the firm again have grant of Denver lots.
GOLD-DUST, was current as money, and in 1859 many firms were advertizing to take it and “also flour and dried apples in exchange.” A list of 22 Denver and Auraria firms are given in RMN, Sep 22 of this year, all of whom wish very much to let the miners know that they take it.
GOLDEN CITY, “Situated at the base of the Rocky Mountains, at the mouth of the canon which is the only pass to Gregory’s, Russell’s, Spanish, Jackson’s, and Clear Creek Diggings, which are the best diggings ever discovered” etc. etc. A fine stream of water runs through the town, and there is plenty of pine lumber near, and it is surrounded by a fine farming country.
(Consists of 40 blocks, 12 lots each) N. McKenny, Draughtsman.
The description above is in the Land Records, 1859, and probably accompanies a map. In Jun 1859 the Golden City Claim is recorded, in which “I, J. H. St. Matthews, a committee appointed by the Association, claim the land of this townsite for town purposes, and not for agriculture.” Signed by S. W. Waggoner, Probate Judge.
The matter just above, is recorded by Whitsitt in Jefferson County Land Records, Liber D, pp. 136-7.
But Golden must have had considerable population before she had much of a town company, for in June she had 12 delegates to the first Constitutional Convention, which indicates numerous population, almost as much as Denver. It is said by Frank Hall that many had encamped here, attracted by the gold mines at Arapahoe near by. From the first it considered itself better than either Denver or Auraria, and destined to attract all interests away from those two rivals down at the mouth of Cherry Creek.
It had a very fine, small newspaper started in 1859 of eight pages, one half size of those of the RMN, but altogether making about the same amount of space, as the rival had only four pages. This was the Western Mountaineer, which lasted about six months or more, and was well edited, in fact rather a finer bit of work than was exhibited by its rival in Denver. George West, was from Boston, while the editor in Denver was from Ohio and Omaha and could not wield so fine a pair of scissors. Neither could he do as well in the editorial column. In the issue of Dec 21, 1859 the Golden editor requests all citizens to “meet this evening at the Jefferson House to take measures for establishing a school in Golden.” Later it was accomplished, and Mr. T. Dougherty in Jul 1860 commenced with eighteen pupils.
When John Brown was hung in the East, the RMN came out with a description of the jollification which Golden enjoyed; later, Golden indignantly denied this, but it is not hard to believe, possible as Golden was so much settled with Georgians.
The Capitol of Colorado was established in Golden by act approved Aug 14, 1862. The Third Legislative Assembly convened here in Feb 1864, but adjourned to Denver for a larger place to hold its meetings. The fourth and sixth sessions and part of the fifth were held here, and a few days of the seventh, and after that time the capitol was Denver. (1867)
The Jefferson House in Golden was on a spot north of the place where Stewart’s grocery is located in 1924. It still stands, and has been known as the Allen House. It was owned by Harvey & Wright. Jan 4, 1860 the Haydee sisters were given a grand reception and banquet here, with a dance, or Ball. In the last fifty couples from Golden, and Denver and other places danced and it was said that the refreshments were very elegant. Another hotel, which appears in advertizements of ’59 is the Golden City House, T. P. Boyd, proprietor, adjacent the Upper Bridge, south side of Clear Creek.
The only building left standing which could have the honor of having once been the Capitol building is said to be the one on the corner of Washington Avenue and 12th Street, “now occupied by the Koenig Mercantile Company.” (Transcript)
Masonry was practiced in 1859 in Golden, for they petitioned in November of this year for a dispensation, which Auraria Lodge duly recommended so that they obtained it in Feb 1860. Isaac E. Hardy was W. M., of this Lodge, and opened it. They had their first meeting of a social character before this, however, in the Town Hall in 1859.
Golden Gate City became at one time a dangerous rival, and in the election for the choice of County Seat of Jefferson County, she voted only four ballots for Golden, while she cast 79 for Arapahoe City or Arapahoe Bar, as it was often called. But Golden, while she had good reason to be afraid of her, had enough votes of her own to elect herself without the help of Golden Gate. This she did although 22 of her voters registered a preference for Baden.
GOLDEN AND DENVER EXPRESS, announces in Dec 1859 that it will convey passengers between these points for $1 each.
GOLDEN GATE CITY, founded Jul 1859, with the following officers: Thomas L. Golden, President, J. S. Rogers, Charles Fletcher, H. S. Hawley, and William G. Preston. A map of the town is in Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 13. On Jan 14, 1860 the Golden Gate Town Company is grantor to William G. Preston, consideration $5,000, lot 10, block 22, lot 18, block 11, lot 16, block 10, lot 10, block 23, and many other lots, all in town of Golden Gate, Jefferson County, Jefferson Territory.
Signed by Thomas L. Golden, Vice President and William G. Preston, Secretary. This town was at entrance to Golden Gate Canon, sometimes called Eight Mile Canon, which led to Gregory Diggings, and was two miles farther north of Golden. On Jul 5, 1860, the Western Mountaineer announces that Golden and Gard are erecting a very large hotel and restaurant, and that Mr. D. McCleery is building a still larger one, etc., and that Buddee and Jacobs have established a branch commission House. The Gate City Hotel was finished and a grand opening banquet given in Apr 1860 by Capt. W. G. Preston and brother. A large number of ladies were present, and many delicacies included in the banquet. It was kind of the editor of the Western Mountaineer to give it so fine a notice, and later clubs met here, one was for the purpose of establishing laws to perfect titles to mining claims.
Golden Gate as stated before in article above had six delegates to the first Constitutional Convention in Denver.
GOLDEN, Thomas L., “of Arapahoe City, Arapahoe County” is grantee of lot 11, block 1, Auraria City, “with hewed log house thereon”, consideration $350, Mar 5, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records, 1859) This is the original “Tom Golden” who accompanied Jackson on his exploring trip early in 1858 to the Boulder and to Lupton’s Fork, (now Bear Creek) and later, with Jim Sanders included they established winter quarters on site of what is now Golden City, and it is thought that that town was named for him, but to me this seems doubtful. Later he was styled Thomas L. Golden, Esq. when he was married to Miss Fletcher of Nevada City, in that place Sep 24, 1860. “The RMN commenting, says: “The Capt. was one of the pioneers and projectors of Gate City, and is an extra clever fellow.” (Oct 3, 1860)
As President of the Golden Gate Town Company he signs deed Jan 16 1860, several (about nine months) before this occurrence. To this deed Ben Littes, and James King are witnesses. Golden Gate was several miles above Golden City, at entrance to Eight Mile Canon. This city had six delegates to the first Constitutional Convention in Jun 1859, about one half the number which Golden City was entitled to, which shows the relative size of “Gate City” as its rival always dubbed it, ignoring its name of Golden. It was incorporated Dec 1859. He sells his lot 11 block 1, Auraria in June of this year, and about Oct 1860 (after his marriage) he disappears into the unknown.
GOLD HILL, diggings, 12 miles above Boulder City, was in 1859 named it is said by J. D. Scott it being gold bearing territory near Gold Run. (The latter a stream.) GOLD RUN DIGGINGS were on Four Mile Creek near Boulder City, and near Galena Gulch.
GOLDRICK, O. J., (Prof.) said to be the first schoolteacher in Denver and Auraria, arrived Aug 1859. Born City of Sligo, Ireland, Mar 30, 1834. Was deceased before 1890. His school in Auraria was on west side of what is now 12th Street, between Larimer and Market, and one authority believes it was opposite or nearly so, the double cabin of Lehow and Sagendorf. Goldrick had been a graduate of Dublin University, it is said, and had studied later in Columbia College, New York. A very good life of this interesting pioneer was written for the Vickers’ History of Denver, 1880. It can easily be consulted for more particulars. His portrait is to be found in RMN (Daily), p. 6, Dec 5, 1899. He was a contributor to that paper as early as ’59 and his sketches of “Captain Pike” (4 columns, p. 1, Nov 17, and “New Mexico and its Society” on p. l, Dec 8th) are well worth reading even now-a-days, and in the remote period of ’59 and ’60 when no histories of Colorado had been written must have been illuminating. He was the first Superintendent of Public Schools in Colorado, and had edited papers in Salt Lake in Central City, and was proprietor of the Rocky Mountain Herald in 1880 and earlier.
GOLDRICK (Goldrich?), Dr. William, name appears in Auraria Land Record Mar 1860 and his name appears in an undated clipping which has list of arrivals of ’59, but no other authority for this have I been able to find.
GOLDSCHMIDT, A., name in list of members of Auraria Lodge Oct 1, 1859, being formerly member of Weston Lodge, No. 53, Missouri. Again, A. S. Goldschmidt was a petitioner, with Wells, Collins, Gerrish and others to start Lodge in Denver City, after Auraria Lodge was already well under way. A Goldschmidt has a grant of Denver lots in Oct 1859.
GOLDSIR, Charles H., of Auraria, 1859, and again, C. L. Goldsir (same?) is in list of delegates from Denver City in autumn ’59 to convention for forming a Provisional Government. (RMN, Oct 10)
GOOD, John, son of Elizabeth Kiefer, and Jacob Guth, changed his name to its present form after coming to America. He was born Uhrweiler, Alsace Lorraine, France, Oct 14, 1836 (another authority gives Oct 4, 1834). Arrived Denver May 13, 1859. Lived in Denver and was very prominent. He bought lot 6, block 106, Auraria, Nov 1, the year of arrival (and sold it). He married Rosalia M. Wagner of Indiana and had children Leon, Carrie, Louis, Nellie, John, Edw. He was merchant, engaged in brewing company, was promoter of German National Bank, etc., and generally esteemed as a good citizen.
GOOD, Samuel G., of Dry Creek, Territory of Kansas, Oct 11, 1859, grantee of ranche on Dry Creek between Golden Gate and Arapahoe village. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 39)
GOODALL, M., (of Iowa) arrived May 14, 1859, with D. D. Taylor’s company of 14 men, 30 days from St. Joseph (his companions’ names may be seen under Taylor).
GOODE, Rev. William H., (a portrait of this fine old pioneer is in Smiley’s History of Denver, p. 717.) He was an Elder in the M. E. Church and was often referred to by this title. He came to the Cherry Creek missions in Jun 1859, sent by the Kansas Conference. He labored in the mountains, in mining camps, performing marriages everywhere, and preaching in cabins and groves. In Auraria he is spoken of in the RMN as being in charge of service at house of Tesseman & Company, and at Mr. Dollman’s. He was elected Chaplain of the first Constitutional Convention in Jun ’59, and on Fourth of July the paper publishes account of wonderful doings in the grove at mouth of Cherry Creek where he opened and closed the proceedings with prayer. James R. Shaffer was the orator on this occasion.
GOODFELLOW, Charles E., pioneer of 1858, located Greeley, buried Lynn Grove Cemetery. Five daughters, Mrs. Ella Blaney, Mrs. Carrie Stewart, Mrs. Ivorine Stewart, Mrs. Lake of Denver, Mrs. Burton of Valparaiso, Indiana, and sons Robert, Ralph, and Raymond, and one brother Chandler, all of Greeley.
The matters above are from an undated clipping from Greeley Republican, Mar 15. (No year stated).
GOODWIN, H., a delegate to the first Constitutional Convention, from Eureka. (Jun 1859)
GOODWIN, O. P., miner, Boulder, and Apr 23, 1859 is mentioned in advertizement as partner of W. Scourfield, in Storage and Commission business, with a warehouse in Boulder City, “Located immediately at foot of the mountain, and Ox Teams and Mules for sale.”
GOOSE PASTURE DIGGINGS, in 1859 quite well patronized, near Gregory.
GORDON, Daniel, arrived Oct 1858 at old Fort St. Vrain with Capt. Atkins and others. Was the first arrival, with his brother, in this year in Boulder Valley.
GORDON, James, was Nov 1, 1858 one of the stockholders in Auraria Town Company.
GORDON, James A., a pioneer of 1858 it is said, his name given as James H. in some papers. The RMN of Oct 10-11 contains full account of his death, his speech, and the disposition of his estate (1860). He left all to his aged parents. His earlier trial, etc., on p. --- Jul 25, 1860, also farther back his affairs discussed at length over several columns Oct 3, 1860 and Jul 1859 was probably a part owner of Cibola Hall. (Also article in issue Jul 18, 1860.) All the histories of Colorado contain mention of him and his affairs, which was greatly regretted for he had a good heart it was said.
He owned a number of Auraria and Denver lots, and a ranche three miles below these cities.
GORE, A. F., mentioned in paper of ’59 as a prospector.
GOSS, C. J., of Denver, arrived Apr 1859. Born Vermont Mar 12, 1821. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. He helped lay out Boulder City and engaged in dairying there. Then removed to Auraria where he had storage and commission business (1865). Was partner once of Charles Reuter (1866). Mined in Georgetown, having twenty claims. Bought ranche in Divide (1500 acres) southeast of Denver. Married 1st daughter of H. T. Shepherd, 2nd Harriet Beecher of New Haven, Connecticut. (1865)
GOTTLIEB, Ira, grantor lot 6, block 10, Auraria City, to Andy O’Connor Nov 28, 1859. Filed for record Arapahoe County Land Office Dec 14 same year.
GOTTLIEB, Joel, buys many Denver and Auraria lots during ’59 and describes himself as “of Arapahoe County.” In the Directory 1859 he lives on Ferry Street. His death occurs Nov 20, 1874, aged 68 years (RMN) and funeral is to be from his late residence on 12th Street between Holladay & Larimer, West Denver.
GOULD, J. R., member first Constitutional Convention, from Arapahoe Bar 1859. (Arapahoe Bar was otherwise known as Arapahoe City.)
GOULD, P. W., arrived Denver Apr 14, 1859, by Capt. William Valentine’s train of six wagons, from La Salle, Illinois. They were 23 days from St. Joseph. For his companions see Valentine. (Cherry Creek Pioneer, Vol. 1, No. 1, Denver)
GRABELL DIGGINGS, in ’59 were sought across South Park.
GRAETER, A. F., was a stockholder of Auraria Town Company, Nov 1, 1858. On Oct 8, 1859 he is grantor of Auraria lot 3, block 62, for a consideration of $175. This probably included a cabin, judging by the price.
GRAFF, A. C., announces the selection of lots 5-6, block 75, in Denver City, “out of S. S. Curtis’ share,” and continues, “I having purchased a one fourth interest in said share Aug 20, 1859.” Recorded Arapahoe County Land Records, Liber A, p. 86, old.
GRAHAM, Hiram J., a stockholder in Auraria Town Company 1858.
This seems to be his first appearance:
He accompanied the D. C. Oakes party, which arrived Oct 10 at mouth of Cherry Creek, via the Up Platte Road, breaking trail first time. In Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 1, p. 208, it is stated that “on 6th Nov 1858, when there were less than two hundred men in this region, an effort was made to create a civil government. A meeting was convened, and an election held for delegate to Congress, and for a representative in the Kansas Legislature. The first was solemnly charged to proceed to Washington forthwith, and employ his best endeavors toward securing the organization of a separate territorial institution. To Hiram J. Graham was delegated the higher mission, while A. J. Smith took the lesser distinction. Both failed.”
It is evident that large population was expected by the band of miners arriving in 1858. Mr. Graham went to Congress, and urged the division of Kansas so as to leave Arapahoe County, (700 miles from Leavenworth) in a Territory by itself.
In 1859 Hiram J. and wife Ellen D. Graham were grantors to George Hawxhurst, consideration $300, lots 5-6, block 42, Auraria City, County of Arapahoe, Territory of Kansas, (Oct 8) “except eight forty feet logs which I reserve.”
GRAHAM, Capt. J. B., from Georgia, captain of wagon train, arrived mouth of Cherry Creek by Arkansas Route, May 16, 1859. In his party were Y. C. Hawkins of Georgia, John Sattefield of same, also James M. Brice, and Thomas J. Brice comprising part of “Russell Company.”
GRAHAM, Thomas J., arrived 1859. Was prominent miner, his large quartz mill being one of the first to cross the plains in ’59, always a prominent resident of Boulder County, is said to have drawn the State University to that place, and was Secretary of the first Board of Trustees for this. Was member Legislature 1869, has ranched, built hotel, lived Jamestown, Niwot, and in ’59 at Gold Hill. Was native of Pennsylvania (Cumberland County). Born Nov 25, 1830. Also had lived Hamilton County, Ohio, and Des Moines, Iowa, then before the rush to Colorado lived in Leavenworth. In Dec 1859 he was appointed by Gov. Steele, County Judge for Jackson County, “until his successor should be elected.” He is mentioned several times in file of this year (RMN) as being in town, going to mountains, etc. His quartz mill spoken of also.
GRAHAM, William, arrived 1859 with Mr. Hawkins: said to have been in drug business in St. Louis. He was member of the earliest Colorado Pioneers’ Society, including at that time only arrivals of 1858-9. (Denver) He had first drug store in town on west side of Larimer between 15th and 16th Streets. Liber A, p. 288, old, contains list of some of his Arapahoe County and Denver lots, etc. (Land Records)
GRANT, Charles, also THOMAS GRANT, file farm claims in 1860, the first is described as “on Spring Creek, laying between Bald Creek and Dry Creek, on the old California Crossing.” This is dated, but not clear in writing, either Jan 20 or Jun 20 (?) If the former date, it would mean that he came in ’59 (?) The second, THOMAS, files farm claim Jan 2, 1860 “on corner of Charles Grant’s claim, on Spring Creek” recorded Jan 20, 1860. The filing of the second claim shows that Charles Grant came in 1859. These claims are recorded either in Arapahoe County or Jefferson County Land Records, but the reference is gone.
GRANT, Edward, is a grantor of Auraria lots 1859.
GRANT, SMITH & COMPANY, mining, 1859, summer, in Pleasant Valley, five men.
GRASS VALLEY BAR, (lode) was on Clear Creek (then called Vasquez Fork) and 20 miles above Golden City, and three miles below Jackson’s Diggings. (1859 was sought a good deal.)
GRATIOT, (Col. Gratiot & Company), Rocky Mountain City, 1859. C. H. Gratiot is witness Sep 28, 1859, to deed to mining claim, Mountain City, and again in October, same place. (Gregory Record, pp. 14-15)
GRAVES, John, pioneer of 1858. Was original stockholder of Auraria Town Company, same year. In Mar 1859 was Justice of the Peace, in Auraria Precinct. (RMN) He was a delegate from Deadwood District to the first Constitutional Convention, summer of same year, and was Senior Deacon Pro Tem at the first meetings of Auraria Lodge, thus being one of the founders of Masonry in the Rocky Mountain region. It is said in the record that his home Lodge had been in Council Bluffs, Iowa. (Lodge No. 71 of Iowa.) Also he was a Justice of the Peace in that place before coming to Auraria. GRAVES & BROCKER were mining, 1859, Illinois Gulch and Missouri Flats.
GRAY, A. L., appointed Quartermaster by Gov. Steele, 1859. (A. L. GRAY was also a shareholder, Golden City Association.)
GRAY, James A., was Speaker of the House in the first Legislature ever held in what is now Colorado, being elected Dec 1859 under the newly constituted “Provisional Government of Jefferson Territory.” The RMN refers to this, and also to the fact of his being a Notary Public in Jan 1860. (As a delegate he was from the 8th District.) JAMES S. GRAY (same person?) is in 1866 a Vice President of Colorado Pioneers’ Association, meeting Jun 22 this year, and included only arrivals of 1858 and 1859, as it at first was constituted. He was then resident of Huerfano County.
GREELEY, Horace, the celebrated New York editor “came out” from “the States” to see about this talk of gold in the Rocky Mountains, arriving with Albert D. Richardson at Denver City in Jun ’59, his advent reported in RMN, Jun 18. Hundreds were passing through Denver daily now, and he had passed hundreds headed for the gold regions as he came across the plains. It is said that he attempted to ford Clear Creek (then Vasquez Fork) on a very efficient mule, but the water being deep, he lost his seat and the mule made the crossing alone, Mr. Greeley being hooked out of the waters by a miner with a boat hook. He lost his tall white hat, but it was recovered later. He made several speeches while in the gold regions, and was very much entertained, and good dinners provided for him.
GREEN, Diamond, owner of Claim 2, McLeod & Company, lands in Fork of Plum Creek on Divide, Oct 1859. (See under name of the company.)
GREEN, H. C., filed claim for land for ranching purposes (160 acres) north of base of South Table Mountain, near where Clark & Company saw mill lot is situated and where their mill stands. This claim sold to Green & Lycurgus Miller Jun 6, 1859. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 17)
He is shareholder in Golden City Association, same year. (p. 37-39) of their Book of Record, now owned by the Transcript of Golden. He was a delegate from Golden to the first Constitutional Convention in summer of ’59.
GREEN, John, and John Green 2nd, owners of claims 25 and 30 in pinery lands of the McLeod Company (see this) on Divide, near Forks of Plum Creek dated Oct 1859.
GREEN, Peter, Oct 1, 1859 records his mining claim in Mountain City, which cannot be worked immediately for want of proper machinery. (Gregory Record, p. 28)
GREEN, William H., an incorporator with others, of the Fountain City Bridge Company, Dec 1859, to build toll bridge over the river at an early date in 1860. It was begun very soon afterward. He was a member of the early Colorado Pioneers’ Association which met Jun 22, 1866 in Denver, and included only arrivals of ’58-’59. In 1866 he is a resident of Fremont County, Colorado. He was a member of the original Town Company of Pueblo, 1859, and is announced in booklet of his society as an arrival of 1858 (Oct) and resident of Denver 1890 and 1907. Was born New Jersey Nov 23, 1828.
GREEN, Y. R., grantee, (associated with J. N. Cochran) from William A. Smith, lot 12, block 4, Auraria City, Apr 2, 1859.
GREENHORN DIGGINGS, of 1859 were on Boulder Creek.
GREENING, Mr., an old man, mentioned by Larimer in his Reminiscences as having “returned to the States,” winter of ’59.
GREENING, L., was witness in Auraria Mar 1859 to deed in lot sale.
GREENING, Robert, “is entitled to two “Select” lots,” Denver City. Certified to by William Larimer, Jr., Secretary, Denver City Town Company Sep 26, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
GREENING, Sidney, is witness to signature of Thomas Ripley of Auraria who gives power of attorney to O. A. Lee, Nov 28, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
GREENMORE (Greennevre?), Frank, arrived from Kansas Territory May 16, 1859. (RMN)
GREGORY, David, dated Jun 1, 1859: Boundary of a farm located by David Gregory, in the valley west of Table Mountain, on the road to Gregory’s Diggings, in Kansas Territory, on the first day of Jun 1859 said boundary at a point six hundred and thirty five north of where the road crosses a small stream on the way to Gregory’s Diggings, and about a mile from where the road ascends the mountain and at the foot of the Table Mountain on the west side, and then running south along the foot of the west side of said mountain, one hundred and sixty rods, thence west across the valley one hundred and sixty rods, thence north one hundred and sixty rods, thence east one hundred and sixty rods to the place of beginning. Containing one hundred and sixty acres of land, said Gregory located said land on the first day of Jun 1859, and intends to permanently occupy the same for the purpose of a farm, and has been in possession of the same since that time.
Wit: Signed: David Gregory
Abner A. Jordon
(Filed for record in Denver, Jun 4, 1859 at 10 o’clock)
E. W. McIlheney’s Claim N. 160 rods
David Gregory’s CLAIM
South along the base of the mountain. 160 rods
Filed for record Jan 26, 1860. (Liber A, p. 9, Golden)
Filed for record Jan 26, 1860. (Liber A, p. 9, Golden)
David Gregory was “of Arapahoe County Territory of Kansas” (this was the description used then for our Colorado) Sep 22, 1859, at Golden City, sells Gregory Ranche to J. H. Wisner, beginning near foot of Table Mountain, etc. Mention of land running almost to line of A. Tucker. (Jefferson County Land Records, Liber A, p. 49) The name of David Gregory is mentioned in Smiley’s History as being one of earliest settlers on the “Divide” 1859 or 1860. He seems to have been a candidate for the Kansas Territorial Legislature in Nov 1859.
GREGORY DIGGINGS, this place was thirty seven miles from Denver and in 1859 had 16 members or delegates to the Constitutional Convention, which indicates quite a population. It was between Central City and Blackhawk, and was older than either of them, but they appeared during the year, and Mountain City lay between in the Diggings. The city is gone, and long ago the Diggings were “worked out” but the buildings of Central and Blackhawk are many of them still to be seen, though the population is gone, and soon the quiet of the desert will surround them. In ’59 “Guy’s” was just below the Diggings, and farther down the canon, was Eight Mile House, sometimes called “Mountain House,” then below this Golden Gate City at mouth of Golden Gate, or Eight Mile Canon, after which came Golden City and Denver and Auraria on the plains. Hall says: that Gregory’s strike was at Claim No. 5, of the Gregory Lode, 400 feet above the road or main thorofare between what is now Blackhawk and Central. John Gregory, the mule driver, took $25,000 from this spot back to Georgia after his first season. It was all in dust, and carried in little leather sacks. This Lode, however, later after its discoverer abandoned it, is said to have yielded many millions. By the first of July 1859 a hundred and fifty sluices were running within a very short distance of this place. Hall calls Gregory Gulch “The Cradle of our State.” It is thought to have had about 20,000 miners during the first year, many of them transient.
GREGORY, John H., (the celebrated Gregory of the gold regions) was from Gordon County, Georgia 1858, having left home for British Columbia calculating to work on the Pacific slope, especially on Frazer River, but engaged as mule driver, or teamster from Ft. Leavenworth to Ft. Laramie, and came to Denver Jan 2, 1859, prospecting first on Cache la Poudre, later on Clear Creek, but discovered his famous Diggings near Blackhawk, his mine being called Gregory Lode. It is said that he was “Grubstaked” by David K. Wall, who had a fine farm near Golden. He returned to Georgia in September of same year, taking $25,000 with him, and in 1860 made a second expedition, staying for some time, running a quartz mill and making much money, and several more great discoveries. Then he disappears from history, and in 1901 when Smiley wrote his history no further information was to be obtained. But Fossett says he dies poor in Montana, prior to 1865, having gambled away his fortune. (?)
While a resident of Gregory Diggings in Jun ’59, he was elected a delegate to the first Constitutional Convention held in Denver and Auraria, but it is not stated whether he ever attended this august body.
GREGORY RECORD, a book still kept in Central, at Gilpin County Court House, which contains many notices of claims made and sold in 1859. Some of the names collected herein were residents of Mountain City and all were miners, and early promoters and settlers. The following is a list in back of the book which seems to be of ’59 names, but it is undated: B. B. Liggins, A. W. Walker, C. W. Walker, J. H. Walker, Enos Read, N. W. Williams, (all these paid $1 C. C. P.) Francis Rodman paid $1 S. B. T. L. D. Crandall paid same, Henry Regenburg paid $2.50 (C. C. Post), W. Sherwood (marked not paid). These payments were made July 25 but year not given, tho’ the book is devoted to claims and matters of 1859.
GRENFELDER, George, deceased, his administrator sells his Denver lots, 11-12, in block 74 to Thomas J. Bayaud, Dec 10, 1859. The Administrator was Edw. Karzewski. (Arapahoe County Land Records, old)
GRIDER, Fred, an arrival of 1858, and one of the original stockholders of Auraria City.
GRIDLEY, ---, a miner who bought out Gregory’s mine in 1859. This was probably AMOS GRIDLEY who came in this year to Gregory Diggings, and was a partner of Edw. Henderson in mining there. He is said to have been formerly from Lewis, Cass County, Iowa.
GRIER, Maria, (also signs Maria B. in earlier deed), Dec 9, 1859 is grantee, lot 3, block 54, City of Auraria, from John H. Elder, and on Mar 21, 1860, she is grantor to Frank M. Baugh, her lots in block 2-223-214-58, in same city for consideration of $100. (Signs with X.) In the Colorado Republican, Denver, is following marriage notice in files of 1862. JOHN JAMES and MRS. MARIA GRIER were married in Denver, Mar 11, 1862 by John Wanless, Justice of the Peace, all of Denver.
GRIFFEY, D. W., (Denver) a pioneer of 1858, arrived December of that year. Was member Colorado Pioneers’ Society. Born Kentucky Jun 24, 1830.
GRIFFIN, David, arrived Cherry Creek by Plattsmouth Nebraska Company, Oct 24, 1858. (See David Griffith, below)
GRIFFIN, George, an arrival of 1858 with Plattsmouth Nebraska Company Oct 24. (See George Griffith, below.)
GRIFFIN, George C., arrived Oct 10, 1859, with Frank Aichleman, Thomas Donelson, Andrew Hagus, and George W. Hazzard. Born Connecticut Oct 21, 1835. In 1890 lived at Island Station, Colorado (from list in Hall’s Colorado History, Vol. 2, p. 557). He died ca. 1910. Mrs. Lucelia, his wife died Brighton, Jun 10, 1924, age 80. She was born Vermont, Mar 12, 1844. Griffin took up homestead at Brighton, or near that place 1859, the townsite then being known as Hughes Station. Their children are: H. H. of Ft. Collins, George M. of Brighton, and C. E. of San Bernardino, California.
GRIFFITH, ---, of Denver firm of Bassett & Griffith, 1859.
GRIFFITH, C. C., of Denver in 1890 (Hall’s, list, Vol. 2, p. 557). Arrived in Goldfields Jun 1859. Born Missouri Mar 15, 1831. Member Colorado Pioneers’ Society and living still in Denver 1920.
GRIFFITH, David and George, arrived Oct 24, 1858 with Plattsmouth Nebraska Company. (See David and George Griffin, above. Probably same, but misspelled in the histories.) Georgetown, Colorado is said to have been named for George Griffith, resident of that mining camp.
GRIFFITH, E. M., an arrival of Aug 10, 1859, mentioned in RMN as from Montana, Iowa, formerly. Lived in Denver 1907, possibly later and was member of Colorado Pioneers’ Society.
GRIFFITH, George F., an arrival of 1859, and discoverer of Griffith Mine in Clear Creek County. He also has Donation Lots from Auraria Town Company, spring of 1859. D. W. GRIFFITH, also had Donation Lots from same company, same year, with promise to build. (These two may be the David and George given above. Recorders were not always particular about initials.)
GRIFFITH LODE, sluicing from this paid very well in ’59. Hollister says (p. 251) that this lode was at forks of the south fork of south Clear Creek, 33 miles from Golden by the Creek, 46 miles from Denver via the Mt. Vernon Road, and about 15 miles southwest from Central City.
GRIFFITH PRECINCT, political district had in ’59 one delegate to Constitutional Convention.
GRIFFITH, T. L., an arrival of ’58 or ’59, for in last year he is a delegate from Kayote Precinct to the first Constitutional Convention in Auraria.
GRIGGSBY, William, on Oct 1, 1859 a founding member of Auraria Lodge, A.F. & A.M., formerly member of Excelsior Lodge No. 97 of Illinois. This name is connected with Golden City a little later for William Griggsby of Golden on July 16, and Oct 10, same year makes notes for $100 and $900, payable to J. C. Bowles, mortgaging Griggsby’s saw mill, set up on Clear Creek in Golden City with all tools, etc., also one half of a blacksmith shop and tools, etc. Recorded May 31, 1860. William Griggsby’s name is in list of incorporators of the Minnehaha Town and Marble Company Nov 1859.
GRIGSBY, V. Long, a stockholder (or shareholder) in Golden City Association 1859. (Name in list in their record book of shareholders.)
GRIMES, ---, (firm of MOORE & GRIMES, dealers, Denver City, ’59.)
GRINDSTAFF, A., arrived mouth of Cherry Creek May 28, 1859, from Missouri. (RMN)
GRINOLD, H. M., and Company, working claim in Bobtail Lode, Gregory Diggings, Sep 2, 1859. Mentioned in record recorded in Mountain City Sep 30, in Gregory Record. In another part of book, but undated, though belonging to record of same year, HENRY GRINOLD (may be same as above) is witness to recording of claim with L. D. Crandall, Royal Jacobs, B. O. Russell, and D. B. Owens, with statement of inability to operate mine on account of lack of proper machinery. (There is also a matter recorded concerning H. M. GRISWOLD of Gregory Diggings, Sep 16, 1859, with “claim in or near to the Bobtail Lode.” This could, and is probably the same party, but not sure which mode of spelling is correct. (?) GRINNELL Lode is also mentioned as near Mountain City, probably same.
GRISTY & BROTHER, (Gristy & Brothers), working five men, Pleasant Valley, mining, mentioned in RMN in file of ’59. (Compare Cristy.)
GRIVOTH (Guivoth ?) (Griffith ?), Alvin F., is grantee of Denver City lots of William McGaa’s share, to be “drawn for” etc. dated Sep 7, 1859. (23 lots) Another: A. F. Guivitts (Guivoth ?) is mentioned in Land Record Oct 24, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
GROOLE, N., arrived Apr 14, 1859, via Capt. William Valentine’s train of six wagons, (La Salle, Illinois) being 23 days out from St. Joseph, Missouri. (Cherry Creek Pioneer, Vol. 1, No. 1, Apr 23, 1859)
GROSS, C. J., an arrival of ’59, helped lay out Boulder City in that year. Born in Vermont 1821. Was member Colorado Legislature 1866. Married 1st a daughter of H. T. Shepherd of New York, 2nd Harriet Beecher. (History of Boulder Valley.)
GROSSE, Paulus, grantee, from William Clancy, lots in “Clancy’s Share” in Denver City Town Company, Jun 14, 1859.
GROUT, Jane, Aug 23, 1859 certificate was issued to her for her Denver City lots. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
GROVE, G. W., mentioned in RMN list of delinquents for paper, this one being sent to M. A. Grove at Dover, Tennessee.
GRUFF, Alexander C., (or Groff), arrived spring of ’59 says Larimer in his Reminiscences. He built first frame house with shingle roof. Was from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the house being on Lawrence Street near bluff of Cherry Creek.
GUIRAUD, G., merchant of 1859, dealing in jewelry, clothing, fine brandies direct from France, etc., Denver. Also mentioned in RMN as having been once a trader on the plains of Africa.
GUIST & COMPANY, mining, Russell’s, four men, summer of 1859. (RMN)
GULLION, William, arrived Oct 24, 1858, by Plattsmouth Nebraska Company.
GUNNELL, Henry --- (?) Harry, was among the discoverers of great and rich mines in the Gregory District. An arrival of ’59 and after a time, in 1862 is mentioned in Tri-Weekly Mining Register of Central City as discoverer of “The Little Monitor” and “The Charleton Lode” in addition to the “Gunnell Lode,” one of the richest mines in the district, all of which produced so much wealth that he was quite bewildered, and is said to have spent money so lavishly that in about eight years, or at the time of his death, he was destitute of the means of existence. Hall represents him as a very fine, handsome young man, well bred and educated, originally from New York, and very generous, letting his money go as easily as it came, and it came in an avalanche. He mined at Russell’s also, and was a shareholder in Golden City Association in the first year of his arrival. In December of same year (’59) Gunnell & Kirby were erecting in Golden City a 20 x 40 building, quite a large one for that time.
He also had mines in Clear Creek District near Idaho, and in the Boulder District. Gunnell Hill in Central City District is now the site of the Catholic Academy. (Boarded up and dead in 1924.) He died in Denver, Sunday evening, Dec 1, 1867, aged about 34 years. The RMN refers to his former success, and to his social gifts which were conspicuous, and to his important discoveries, and states that he was “among the first arrivals in Colorado and favorably known in all the mining districts, as well as in Denver.”
GURAND (Guraud ?), Gustav, “of Arapahoe County”, grantee, lot 9, block 86, Auraria City, dated Dec 17, 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records, old)
GURLENY (Gurleng ?), Marine, is grantor to John Leonard, 160 acres of farm or ranche land on Cherry Creek, “the same sold to him Dec 12, 1859.” (Arapahoe County Land Records)
GUST, David, grantee, lots in Auraria City, Nov 1859. (Arapahoe County Land Records)
GUTHRIDGE & COMPANY, five men, mining at Russell’s Gulch, summer 1859.
GUY GULCH, seems to have been near Golden, and sought in 1859.
GUY, John C., was one of the founding members of Auraria Lodge of Masons, Auraria City, Oct 1, 1859, his previous membership having been with Greenfield Lodge of State of Missouri.
GWILEY, Marine (?), this must be same party above under GURLENY. (See.) “Of Arapahoe County,” grantee, from John Leonard, for one sack of flour each and every month until Oct 1860, 160 acres farm land situated on Cherry Creek (claim). (The writing of names in copied records is often very incorrect, and they are not always easy to decipher.)
Denver Public Library Online ©
Updated: July 28, 2008